HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 12, 2009, 05:51 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleoak View Post
Thanks guys, I will double check that in the morning, you have good eyes. I shall retire that motor to the trash and continue to fly with my spare. I'll load a higher resolution picture tomorrow just to confirm, but your electrical background is a tad superior to mine.
If it is toast, "Be Kind, always re-wind"! Who thought a catch phrase from the eighties would return.

It would still be a good bell and shaft for a future possible Lawn Dart event.
DaOldGuy is online now Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2009, 05:56 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,259 Posts
...Post dup
Last edited by DaOldGuy; Nov 12, 2009 at 06:08 PM.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 10:06 PM
Goats & Glocks Eat Anything
Houston, in the Great State of Texas
Joined Jan 2009
459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daoldguy View Post
If it is toast, "Be Kind, always re-wind"! Who thought a catch phrase from the eighties would return.

It would still be a good bell and shaft for a future possible Lawn Dart event.
Yep, I'll chuck it in the spares bin, may well come in handy one of these days.
littleoak is offline Find More Posts by littleoak
Old Nov 14, 2009, 04:33 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,259 Posts
WOW

I got a couple more flights on it today, it is dialed IN!

I did 2 knife edge loops that made me "look" like I knew what I was doing.

Hard 3D flights on the 3S750 are 8 minutes. Really good throttle response, Knife edges are a very happy thing.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 05:20 PM
Joined Jan 2009
459 Posts
Nice nice, yes you can knife edge all day, knife edge loops (pinwheels) are quite possible with this plane. Flew 6 times since I fried my motor, but been back on the higher speed fix today. Too many mosquito's here right now. Glad to hear your report on the 750's. I am getting near 10min on the 1300's at around 80%. The surfaces on this plane are just so huge, you can throw it around however you care. Very good, now if they would only do the hatch mod at factory and just beef up the motor mount a little bit. I know I will wear this plane out, but I have no hesitation about buying another. Definitely my favorite plane to fly.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 06:14 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,259 Posts
Quote:
Nice nice, yes you can knife edge all day, knife edge loops (pinwheels) are quite possible with this plane. Flew 6 times since I fried my motor, but been back on the higher speed fix today. Too many mosquito's here right now. Glad to hear your report on the 750's. I am getting near 10min on the 1300's at around 80%. The surfaces on this plane are just so huge, you can throw it around however you care. Very good, now if they would only do the hatch mod at factory and just beef up the motor mount a little bit. I know I will wear this plane out, but I have no hesitation about buying another. Definitely my favorite plane to fly.
Yes... The Horns could use some thought as well. The hovers are almost hands free, we had a slight breeze today, it just drifted in a hover across the runway. Very well behaved. I had the rudder servo come loose, I was a tad to light with the glue for the Knife edge loop. No damage, just needs a bit more hot melt.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 06:19 PM
Joined Jan 2009
459 Posts
My rudder servo did the same. But it was not the hot melt it took the top layer of depron with it, so I CA'd it back, since then been OK. I have had no trouble with the horns, so I wonder if there was a bad batch.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 08:00 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,259 Posts
Quote:
My rudder servo did the same. But it was not the hot melt it took the top layer of depron with it, so I CA'd it back, since then been OK. I have had no trouble with the horns, so I wonder if there was a bad batch.
Ouch... So they should maybe consider backing that with a tad of light ply. I am glad the hot melt just pulled away without damage to the chassis. It is a long fuse, the force from a KE Loop has got to strain something I guess.

I am starting on the Canopy mod before I fly it again.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 08:41 PM
Joined Jan 2009
459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daoldguy View Post

I am starting on the Canopy mod before I fly it again.
I just cut around the black cockpit line with a dremel side cutter. Then ran some 1/4 sq ply across the gap to give a little rigidity on both the fuse and the canopy. Then countersunk a magnet on this ply with a washer on the revised canopy. Holds solid now, and access is how it should be.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 08:48 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,259 Posts
Quote:
I just cut around the black cockpit line with a dremel side cutter. Then ran some 1/4 sq ply across the gap to give a little rigidity on both the fuse and the canopy. Then countersunk a magnet on this ply with a washer on the revised canopy. Holds solid now, and access is how it should be.
I normally hold all my foamies by the canopy to hand launch, this one I have been holding the top of the fuse behind the canopy. I am going to put on a tad bit taller set of tires so this thing will ROG. When I had the axi on there <10 grams lighter> it would do an ROG, since the motor upgrade it doesn't like it. This has all been on grass, paved surface may be better.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 10:34 PM
Joined Jan 2009
459 Posts
I generally hand launch and I now hold from the top at the motor mount. Occasionally I will take off from concrete, just feed the elevator in gently and she will suddenly pop up. You can also feed a little down elevator to pop the tail from the ground and then pull back for a less sudden lift off. Fun, fun plane. Bigger wheels may help with take off. I may try that myself.
Last edited by littleoak; Nov 15, 2009 at 06:17 AM.
Old Nov 15, 2009, 08:30 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,259 Posts
Maybe this little jewel would be a better Turnigy solution for this plane. It is good up to 19 amps, the would give 200 Watts and will swing the 11X7 prop.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idproduct=5688

The reviews all look positive.
Old Nov 15, 2009, 09:19 PM
Joined Jan 2009
459 Posts
Funny that, I have two of them in a box on my bench. Nice motors, I have one in my warbird. I use these and the 28-30b in a few of my planes.
Old Nov 15, 2009, 09:24 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,259 Posts
Quote:
Funny that, I have two of them in a box on my bench. Nice motors, I have one in my warbird. I use these and the 28-30b in a few of my planes.
I am good with the Eflite park 400 920, just bought another off RCG used for 20 shipped. I think my weather is getting to a point, by the time I do the canopy mod, it wont be good flying weather.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 06:11 PM
Joined Jan 2009
459 Posts
Not flown for a while with the Silhouette, been helping other flyers, and flying a couple of new aircraft. Back to it today, and remains a great flying plane, been a lot more durable since I avoided landing on the concrete, and no more motor problems, knock on wood. Any issues I'll report back here, and will be flying frequently over the next few days.