HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 15, 2005, 02:25 PM
Big Pimpin
Washington DC area
Joined Mar 2005
50 Posts
Floats on an Aerobird Challenger?

I live right next to a lake and have obtained permission to fly there. I am still learning how to fly with my ABC and am feeling comfortable with it. Unfortunately, I live in an area with a dearth of open space, but with this lake nearby I was thinking I might be able to affix floats to it and use it there?

Anyone ever do this? Will it have enough power to take off of water?
Pimpster is offline Find More Posts by Pimpster
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2005, 06:19 PM
Big Pimpin
Washington DC area
Joined Mar 2005
50 Posts
Or what about floats on a Park zone J-3 cub. I have this one as well but I don't fly it anymore. Would a different battery help get it off the ground?
Old Mar 15, 2005, 11:15 PM
Santa Cruze Ca
Joined Dec 2004
109 Posts
I would suggest just getting a GWS E-Starter for three reasons. One, the E-Starter is a great second plane. It fly's really nice and and you can learn how to fly with ailerons. Second, You can buy floats for it. GWS sells floats made for it. Nothing to build or modify. Third, The E-Starter is cheep. Hope that helps here is a link.

http://www.gwsexpert.com/product_inf...products_id=22

PS get the one with the 400c motor. The 350 doesn't have the power you will want.

Hawknips
hawknips is offline Find More Posts by hawknips
Old Mar 16, 2005, 10:23 AM
Big Pimpin
Washington DC area
Joined Mar 2005
50 Posts
Thanks Hawknips,

I think I'll check that out. Probably after I sink the j-3

It looks like it might be the way to go. Hoepfully easy enough to control so I don't buzz the ducks and get in trouble.
Old Mar 18, 2005, 04:10 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,231 Posts
No reason you could not put floats on an ABC or a J3. Check the hobby sites for floats. You will have to figure out how to adapt them as I doubt anyone makes floats for these planes specifically.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Mar 18, 2005, 04:51 PM
I'll try anything once!
Huron, South Dakota
Joined Jan 2004
1,088 Posts
Check out this thread about my attempt with floats on the J-3.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262929

It looked good, and did fly alright, but it didn't have enough power with the stock set up and a larger gws prop to ROW. I will say that if you were to strip the stock components out of it, and put in a E-flight park 370 brushless, that it would probably have the power needed to ROW. I plan on trying it again this summer with the brushless setup. I'll let you know what I accomplish.

Good Luck.
thacherd is offline Find More Posts by thacherd