Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 25, 2013, 02:52 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,453 Posts
When we started momentum for the "Balsa Builder's Forum" we kept an unofficial poll at the beginning- not "unauthorized"-...."unofficial"......Then a running tabulation was visible to all who visited the thread.

The same is required when authorized for the actual vote.....we just waited until we had the necessary yes votes before requesting the moderators present the form for public consumption.

It was a bit unorthodox, but successful.
I'd like to know where we stand, also.
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Water Sports
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2013, 03:36 PM
Turkey
Joined May 2002
2,171 Posts
Sorry that I had missed the point. I guess I had voted in favor of a separate forum, if not I do now.

Bulent
bmutlugil is online now Find More Posts by bmutlugil
Old Jun 30, 2013, 08:59 AM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoxyearl View Post
When we started momentum for the "Balsa Builder's Forum" we kept an unofficial poll at the beginning- not "unauthorized"-...."unofficial"......Then a running tabulation was visible to all who visited the thread.

The same is required when authorized for the actual vote.....we just waited until we had the necessary yes votes before requesting the moderators present the form for public consumption.

It was a bit unorthodox, but successful.
I'd like to know where we stand, also.
Earl is correct. This is what needs to happen now.

1. Once your thread has generated 50 replies from other users who agree that the proposal is a good one, compile the list of names and inform an admin or moderator. The site management will review the list and most likely call for a vote.

Once that happens this will need to happen:

2. The administrator will create a thread with a yes/no poll attached to it, and will announce this thread in the appropriate area. The poll will be held for at least 10 days, and it must gather at least 75% "yes" votes.

It is a slow process but doable. I've had a hand in creating a half dozen or so new forums and the effort is worth it to help improve this forum. Just stick with it and don't give up.

Frank

PS I vote Yes
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Who Appreciates Your Work?
Old Jun 30, 2013, 11:10 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8,453 Posts
You'll get some interesting reasons as to why we don't need another forum- from we have too many now, to the ridiculous one of having to click one more time to get there.

This is a viable idea....stay with it. still "yes", here.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 30, 2013, 11:18 AM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,884 Posts
Yea, that is for sure.

But I am the type of guy who likes to have drawers to separate my clothes and I also have a section for my shirts and a section for my pants in the closet. I don't see why this forum should be any different. A place for everything and everything in its place.

So I vote yes.

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Who Appreciates Your Work?
Old Jun 30, 2013, 01:36 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Oct 2006
437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgy View Post

Incidentally, how many votes are in at the moment...?

Well, no one else seems to be doing it, so I'll start the tracking process off. But I'm not going to keep it going - someone else can do the next count...

Current 'YES' votes :

oddshot (assumed)
davidterrell80
Old_Pilot
WMD
PeteSchug
Alfredo Rubio
flashkick
georgeg
Dennis Sumner
vonJaerschky
Billybobjoepants
Alien_Tech
series57r
Robert R
Harry Rule
dodgy
epoxyearl
bmutlugil
Murocflyer

Total 20

Posters who seemed supportive, but didn't provide the magic 'YES' word:

nothernoob
lincoln
**neons**
modelbuilder2011

Total 4

Current 'NO' votes

Total 0

If you assume that all posters are YES voters, you are about half-way there...
dodgy is offline Find More Posts by dodgy
Old Jun 30, 2013, 04:10 PM
Pile-it
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Nov 2007
1,691 Posts
I'm in.
Alien_Tech is offline Find More Posts by Alien_Tech
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 01, 2013, 09:02 AM
Balsa&Tissue
United States, OR, Beaverton
Joined Jan 2011
2,482 Posts
Yes, I am in as well.

Dave
payne9999 is offline Find More Posts by payne9999
Old Jul 05, 2013, 10:45 AM
Joined Jan 2009
1,420 Posts
Yes
packardpursuit is offline Find More Posts by packardpursuit
Old Jul 05, 2013, 05:17 PM
5,200 Led Lighted Bike-Bob P.
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,788 Posts
Yes. Great idea!
**Neons**Bob
**neons** is offline Find More Posts by **neons**
Old Jul 07, 2013, 04:23 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,560 Posts
Sounds like a good idea, there is a difference between a flying model plan, for which there are existing fora, and a 3-view that can provide the input to making that flying model plan a reality.

Count me as a "Yes" for this proposal
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Jul 26, 2013, 01:47 PM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,137 Posts
It would be nice to have a place to post things like this, when they come along... Vern Clements' drawing of the 1932 Springfield Bulldog Racer. 50in x 35in, at 400dpi.
WMD is online now Find More Posts by WMD
Old Jul 27, 2013, 12:33 PM
Joined Jan 2009
1,420 Posts
Will we be allowed to be "critical"?

Vern's usual excellent draftsmanship. But a "good drawing" is not always a "good scale drawing". This is one that needs to be looked at critically. Or how well it represents the real thing. I'm of the opinion that ACCURACY is the only merit worth discussing, when it comes to scale drawings.

I would appreciate a reasonable and calm discussion about the merit of ANY given drawings.
packardpursuit is offline Find More Posts by packardpursuit
Old Jul 27, 2013, 03:27 PM
Joined Oct 2011
8,453 Posts
Flip side

I'm not a "purist" when it comes to criticizing fidelity to scale.....

If someone presents a three view that is 95% accurate,I'm not going to call it "junk"...

I have measured 3 ,1934 Monocoupes, and have found several minor discrepancies in various measurements..
Not building a model because of a difference of 1/8" is just silly, unless you're building for a Museum.

I wouldn't mind discussions with open minded people who have actually utilized a tape measure on several subjects., but to claim a drawing is 'poor' for the mere reason that one has picked up on a discrepancy is uncalled for.

I've compared the factory drawings on the lowly Piper J-3 Cub, and found wing ribs installed 3/8" off line....Same with a 1927 Waco.....With the evidence in front of me, which should I replicate?...the factory drawings, or the actual airplane ?

If we're posting drawings for their sake,okay-it's just a drawing....If we plan to build from them, as I am the Monocoupe, we need to tolerate small deviations...

I won't argue with factory drawings, but my brief attempt at producing a three view failed miserably because I couldn't decide which plane was accurate.
Often times the finished product is a compilation, since the author ran into the same problem.

Still- bring 'em on...
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 27, 2013, 05:13 PM
UMs & parkflyers... for now.
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined Apr 2012
2,889 Posts
I say...if you have a better drawing of the aircraft, just add it to the thread for that aircraft. No need to be critical. I'd hope that each thread in the forum would become a repository for every known drawing; good,bad or indifferent. I'm enough of a big boy (rubbing my tummy) to choose a drawing, or not; and, enough of a historian to just want the drawings posted.
davidterrell80 is offline Find More Posts by davidterrell80
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: BBCC Results