Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:44 PM
Gas Only
USA So. Cal.
Joined Sep 2010
1,052 Posts
Question
Saito FG-14 inverted problem.

I have a Saito FG-14 that ran perfectly right side up in it's former home. However I moved it to a new plane and had to mount it inverted because of the cowl. It will not idle now. It runs fine is it approaches 1/2 throttle but acts like it is flooding at high idle and will not idle down to where it should. Can't land without killing the ignition.

I can NOT lower the fuel tank. If I lean out the lsn will that cure the problem? I know these engines are very touchy in the lsn adjustment so I hesitate to mess with it.
Fokker DII is offline Find More Posts by Fokker DII
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:59 AM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
3,914 Posts
I believe you have answered your own question.....

The tank is to high causing some minor flooding issues at low speed. I would suggest leaning the low speed mix 1/8 turn and see what happens.

If it were me I would screw the LS needle in and count how many turns it takes to LIGHTLY seat the needle. Now back it out where it was. THIS IS YOUR REFERENCE POINT. If you mess up badly, lightly seat the needle and back it out to your reference point and start again. Same for the high speed needle.

Once you have everything set so the engine runs well, turn the needles in counting the turns and these are now your NEW reference points for a good running engine.

Tuning an engine is not rocket science, and there is no black magic involved. Just pay attention to what you are doing and take a note or two to remind you what you have done. Good luck with your engine.

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
Old Dec 29, 2012, 09:46 AM
Israel, Ramat HaSharon
Joined Nov 2003
1,137 Posts
I don't think this should have been any trouble...

The carburettor used on this Saito gas engine is equipped with its own integral fuel-pump.
Gas should be supplied according to demand.
DarZeelon is online now Find More Posts by DarZeelon
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:33 AM
Gas Only
USA So. Cal.
Joined Sep 2010
1,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarZeelon View Post
I don't think this should have been any trouble...

The carburettor used on this Saito gas engine is equipped with its own integral fuel-pump.
Gas should be supplied according to demand.
Well whether you think so or not it was "trouble". I removed it from one plane complete with the entire fuel system and mounted it in another plane withj the only difference it being inverted.
It ran very rich at idle and smoothed off as it approached 1/2 throttle. Following Ken's suggestion I did lean it out twice at an 1/8 turn each. It now idles fine and transitions well. So even with the pump carb whne the tank is relatively high to the spray bar they ( or this one) RUN RICH AT LOW rpm. Do you own a Saito? You already said that you don't own an Evolution .10 but have lots of noninformation to offer about that one too!
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:06 AM
Israel, Ramat HaSharon
Joined Nov 2003
1,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fokker DII View Post
...Do you own a Saito?

Yes, I do, Fokker.

It is a .72 FA, with an air-horn installed on the carburettor by its very caring previous owner.

It runs great, but it is not an FG engine; just a regular glow model that is installed upright; and uses muffler pressure to assist fuel supply.
DarZeelon is online now Find More Posts by DarZeelon
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:56 AM
United States, NC, Faison
Joined Jan 2011
683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenh3497 View Post
I believe you have answered your own question.....

The tank is to high causing some minor flooding issues at low speed. I would suggest leaning the low speed mix 1/8 turn and see what happens.

If it were me I would screw the LS needle in and count how many turns it takes to LIGHTLY seat the needle. Now back it out where it was. THIS IS YOUR REFERENCE POINT. If you mess up badly, lightly seat the needle and back it out to your reference point and start again. Same for the high speed needle.

Once you have everything set so the engine runs well, turn the needles in counting the turns and these are now your NEW reference points for a good running engine.

Tuning an engine is not rocket science, and there is no black magic involved. Just pay attention to what you are doing and take a note or two to remind you what you have done. Good luck with your engine.

Ken
+1

I had one of these on a .40 size GP CUB and it was awsome power. Mine was inverted as well and I too had a difficult time tuneing it. One thing that I did was just like the above post. Only make vary slight adjustments nothing drastric. Give it a few seconds between adjustments so the the fuel can have time to adapt to its new flow.

One more thing. Make sure that in its new home there is plenty of clearance for the carb hole, 1/2 inch is minimum but 3/4 works real good. Sometime turbulant air through the cowl can do werd things to a gas engine.

Last, You may want to lean your gas to oil ratio a bit. That also helped mine out. I used 30:1 in mne instead of the 24:1 recommended.
rjstrickjr is offline Find More Posts by rjstrickjr
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:11 PM
Gas Only
USA So. Cal.
Joined Sep 2010
1,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstrickjr View Post
+1

I had one of these on a .40 size GP CUB and it was awsome power. Mine was inverted as well and I too had a difficult time tuneing it. One thing that I did was just like the above post. Only make vary slight adjustments nothing drastric. Give it a few seconds between adjustments so the the fuel can have time to adapt to its new flow.

One more thing. Make sure that in its new home there is plenty of clearance for the carb hole, 1/2 inch is minimum but 3/4 works real good. Sometime turbulant air through the cowl can do werd things to a gas engine.

Last, You may want to lean your gas to oil ratio a bit. That also helped mine out. I used 30:1 in mne instead of the 24:1 recommended.
Thanks for the good info. I have it in a 40 size Fokker EIII from Balsa USA. The entire bottom half of the cowl is open on this model so clearance for the carb is not an issue. As perviously said I did lean it out in steps and wound up a tad less than 1/4 turn in on the lsn.
I take it you have been running the 30:1 ratio long enough to know that the engine is OK with that? I use Amsoil Saber Pro, if that matters. And Yes, mine is well broken in since I ran it on my 60 size Escapade for many weeks flying every day. It has lots of power.
I removed it for the new kit that I just finished. I put the new Evolution .10 in the 60 size plane but it is not big enough to fly it better than marginally so I moved the .10 to a 40 size Escapade with great results.