Joined Aug 2008
23,592 Posts
Discussion
Spektrum DX18QQ Quique Special Edition

DX18QQ Quique Special Edition w/AR12120,XPLUS8 M2

Product Description
Key Features

Exclusive DX18QQ Software Features
In addition to the unparalleled programming options all DX18 transmitters possess,
the DX18QQ comes with these exclusive features:
Direct Access to Monitor Screen
Instead of entering the Function List to view the Monitor screen, you can scroll to it directly from the Main screen using the SimpleScroll™ interface.
Direct Access to System Settings
Switch between Function List and System Settings menus without having to power off the transmitter.
0.5% Mixing Increments
Mixing values of less than 10% can be adjusted in 0.5% increments, giving you a greater degree of freedom when fine-tuning control response.
6-Servo Wing Setup
Setting up aileron servos for a Giant-Scale model is even easier with the pre-programmed, 6-servo wing setup that has been added to the airplane wing types.
Canard Setup
Canard options (1- and 2-servo) are available under airplane tail types when you select the elevon wing type.
Origin Mixing
You can choose to limit the master input of a mix to the stick position of the elevator, aileron or rudder.
Expanded Sound Selection Menu
Activate or inhibit specific system sounds without affecting others.
Custom Flight Modes
Assign five airplane flight modes to any two switches.
Expanded Avatar Selection
A variety of model avatars are available for all three model types. This lets you choose an avatar that more closely matches the appearance of the model you have saved in memory.
Expanded In-Flight Gain Adjustment Options
You can assign in-flight gain adjustment to either of the levers on the side of the transmitter, the right knob or one of the auxiliary trim switches.
Pitch Curve for Variable-Pitch Props
A 7-point pitch curve can be activated for airplanes equipped with variable-pitch propellers.
Optional Three-Step Throttle Trim
The throttle trim can be programmed to function as a 3-position switch for turbine engine starts.
DX18QQ Quique Special Edition Transmitter with AR12120, X-Plus 8 by Spektrum (2 min 32 sec)

Overview
From pioneering the sport of 3D aerobatics to shaping the future of RC aircraft design, Quique Somenzini is one of the most influential forces in the world of model aviation. This stunning DX18QQ Limited Edition transmitter, of which only 2,000 have been made, is one more testament to his relentless pursuit of excellence.

In addition to the unparalleled capabilities all DX18 transmitters possess, the DX18QQ comes equipped with exclusive software features and ergonomics shaped by Quique’s decades of RC experience and know-how.

Included DX18QQ Limited Edition accessories:
– AR12120 12-channel DSMX® PowerSafe™ receiver
– XP8000 X-Plus™ 8-channel expansion module
– 2S 2600mAh Li-Po transmitter battery
– Certificate of Authenticity personally signed by Quique
– DX18QQ Sol de Mayo transmitter case
– DX18QQ microfiber display screen cloth
– Orange-anodized Spektrum™ flashlight
– DX18QQ Special Edition DVD
– Engraved DX18QQ dog tag
– Optional 34mm orange-anodized stick ends
– DX18QQ decal sheet
– DX18QQ neckstrap
– DX18QQ SD card
– DX18QQ hat

HorizonHobby.com Preview - Spektrum DX18QQ Quique Special Edition (22 min 5 sec)
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Last edited by freechip; Nov 17, 2012 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Added information.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:30 AM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,403 Posts
ROFL freechip
I guess we were posting at the same time.Yours is much more detailed so I will lock mine and let it slip down the list
aerocal is offline Find More Posts by aerocal
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:07 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,988 Posts
So they found a way to not put new features into the DX18 normal version without making a new radio. Can't say I'm too impressed with the marketing lead-up to just a special DX18 version. Just another way to profit off the same hardware base. Or are all these features available on the normal DX18 and this is just a special "branding"?? Confused.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:13 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,592 Posts
Considering people wanted or asked about the BLACK versions of the 18 and 8 it kinda makes sense to come out with a different version.

In addition, all the extra hardware you get is also pretty nice.

As for the extra programming, I always recommended to people that you buy a radio based on it's programming and not just about the channel count. Will wait at a later date personally before commenting on the extra programming it has.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:15 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,005 Posts
There are hardware changes, too. The new gimbals feel smoother. I don't know the other details, I've only handled a real one once.

Ask me about its AirWare and I can help.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:17 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,988 Posts
It makes me question buying a DX18 even more now, when it seems future features and higher quality will come at a premium and not as part of the existing product. Good way to profit off the same core I guess.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:37 AM
Ireland, Co. Dublin, Dublin
Joined Feb 2012
312 Posts
I like the rubber switch covers and the audio options. The rest i'm unlikely to use which is lucky as I only bought a DX18 a few weeks back...
Quandry is offline Find More Posts by Quandry
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:43 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,592 Posts
I would take the custom avatars or model pictures over the sound any day... But that's me..

You could probably get covers for the switches at a electronic shop.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:47 AM
Ireland, Co. Dublin, Dublin
Joined Feb 2012
312 Posts

Interesting CROW possibilities here...
Quandry is offline Find More Posts by Quandry
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:00 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,005 Posts
No, that's 3 servos in parallel on each wing. Note the graphic - the ailerons are NOT separated. Compare to 2 Ail/2 Flap and you can see what I mean.

This is a Quique-oriented product, for big aerobatic guys. There aren't any changes to the Glider programming.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:29 AM
Taranis Tyro...
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
3,619 Posts
Remember people, you are unique - you and 1999 others...

These special edition radios always make me laugh, though at least this one has some real additional functionality over the std one (not sure I'd be so happy if I'd just bought a normal DX18 ). I don't think this kind of thing can last much longer though - as people get more and more used to the concept of reflashing open source radios with the latest software the big names are going to have to realise they can't continue milk people with a new TX or a back to base recall for a few extra functions.
MattyB is online now Find More Posts by MattyB
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by MattyB; Nov 15, 2012 at 12:31 PM.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:50 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,592 Posts
My Lancer comes in different variants: DE, SE, SE AWC and the GT.
But then you can also get the RALLIART & the EVOLUTION that also comes in GSR & MR variants.

It's still a Lancer, I even have the same engine as the Evo minus the turbo of course and about 120hp.

I already have a DX8 and DX18, do I like the QQ version? Yes. Do I need it? NO. Do I want it? Oh Yes.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:52 AM
Radio? Screwdriver!
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2011
953 Posts
The Spektrum DX18QQ - when one Q isn't good enough...

As my comment said that I put on the Horizon "Mystery" marketing campaign, this looks mostly like marketing guff at trying to milk more money.

But as people will probably buy it - it'll justify itself...

Si.
SimonChambers is online now Find More Posts by SimonChambers
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:03 PM
Nuvolera (Italy)
Joined Jul 2007
655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
my lancer comes in different variants: De, se, se awc and the gt.
But then you can also get the ralliart & the evolution that also comes in gsr & mr variants.

It's still a lancer, i even have the same engine as the evo minus the turbo of course and about 120hp.

I already have a dx8 and dx18, do i like the qq version? Yes. Do i need it? No. Do i want it? Oh yes.
+1
egicar is offline Find More Posts by egicar
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:08 PM
United States, UT, Farmington
Joined Aug 2011
1,348 Posts
Went to my LHS today, they called HH and put in a pre order. I am stoked. This radio has a few features that were missing on the normal 18 and had me on the fence. I have a significant investment in spektrum technology...and losing the telemetry so I could go with JR would have been a bummer. So I sat on the DX18 fence...and I am glad I did...can't wait for this radio.
sirzeppu is online now Find More Posts by sirzeppu