HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 11, 2013, 10:50 AM
USA, IL, St Charles
Joined Nov 2002
1,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloperjoe View Post
2 5/8" inches back from where the wing leading edge meets the wing strake section, should get you in the air, you can adjust your batts to suit how you like it from there

Joe
Thanks Joe. Lookin like this Saturday/Sunday for my maiden.
Steve Merrill is offline Find More Posts by Steve Merrill
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:04 AM
Mike
Columbus, Ohio, United States
Joined Jul 2003
935 Posts
Good Luck! Post pics and/or video.
i12flyrc is online now Find More Posts by i12flyrc
Old Sep 11, 2013, 02:21 PM
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Mar 2012
739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Merrill View Post
Thanks Joe. Lookin like this Saturday/Sunday for my maiden.
most welcome, and I second the video request

Joe
sloperjoe is offline Find More Posts by sloperjoe
Old Sep 11, 2013, 04:08 PM
USA, IL, St Charles
Joined Nov 2002
1,822 Posts
Will do, and I Fly: Nice video! I grew up as a Buckeye fan. Dad and my Grandfather went to OSU.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 14, 2013, 11:39 AM
USA, IL, St Charles
Joined Nov 2002
1,822 Posts
Here is the maiden video. Short and not so sweet. I think I have a stab to wing alignment issue that I need to fix. Also, notice how she turns to the right. It seems I need more thrust. I used a brand new 3-cell 890mah Lipo. AUW is 13 oz. Watt meter said I was just under 100 watts. Something is not right. Maybe when I fix the tail issue, and I try again, when she gets up on step things will go better...

A6 intruder maiden (0 min 18 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 14, 2013, 01:55 PM
Joined Mar 2012
739 Posts
hhmmmm....
definitely didnt sound right...I could launch mine at half throttle and climb out no problem...some people reported that the alloy fan units they got had issues, the two I bought were great

Joe
Old Sep 14, 2013, 02:49 PM
USA, IL, St Charles
Joined Nov 2002
1,822 Posts
I know it doesn't sound like its developing full power. I will play around with the ESC and try to squeeze out more RPM. It will be hard to replace the fan unit without destroying the plane. I also think it should be ok if I fix the tail alignment
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 14, 2013, 07:05 PM
Mike
Joined Jul 2003
935 Posts
Steve,
Keep trying. Looks like you almost have it. The initial flight off the hand launch looked like it was going to just fine. It did sound a little under power but still like it had more than enough to fly. In addition to double checking the CG, check the lateral balance.

You may have an alignment issue like you said but if there is any lateral ( left to right) balancing that needs done, that might lessen the amount of alignment you may have to do.

Mike
Old Sep 15, 2013, 11:13 AM
USA, IL, St Charles
Joined Nov 2002
1,822 Posts
Good point. If anything, the left wing tip is slightly heavier. I fixed her up this am. Also, one of the taileron servos stopped working, as the crash pop the servo extension lead, so I had to do some surgery to get to it, and add some tape, so it doesn't happen again.

I was thinking about removing the piece of foam that goes into the tail pipe, that forms the fuse rear bottom. Do you guys think this is really needed? My thought is that this would open up the tail pipe, and allow more air to exit, and hopefully more thrust.

Thoughts?
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 15, 2013, 12:27 PM
Joined Mar 2012
739 Posts
Quote:

I was thinking about removing the piece of foam that goes into the tail pipe, that forms the fuse rear bottom. Do you guys think this is really needed? My thought is that this would open up the tail pipe, and allow more air to exit, and hopefully more thrust.

Thoughts?
that part stiffens the tail section, without it the tail may snap off in a turn, it really doesn't interfere with the thrust enough to worry about.

what is the C rating on your pack, if it is low it could be your problem, a 15-20 C rated pack isnt going to supply enough amps to that fan unit, I've been using Turnigy Nano Tech 3s 1000mah 45-90 C packs

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

Joe
Old Sep 15, 2013, 12:49 PM
USA, IL, St Charles
Joined Nov 2002
1,822 Posts
Ok I'll try that Joe. The battery I am using is 25c
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 15, 2013, 04:15 PM
Mike
Joined Jul 2003
935 Posts
Steve,
If you opt to remove the piece behind the thrust tube on the underside of the fuse and tail, you could laminate a small flat carbon strip along the bottom for added strength with little weight. Was thinking maybe a 1mm x 3mm x the length of the splitter.This would stiffen that area up and allow better air flow if needed. I have done this on the insides of fuselages for added strength. Just a thought.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 11:49 AM
USA, IL, St Charles
Joined Nov 2002
1,822 Posts
Thanks guys. I bought a new 45C lipo today from HK. We'll try that and see if I can get some more thrust. What connectors are you guys using? The motor only pulls about 9 amps now, so I am using those little JST connectors. If I pull more than 10amps, I may have to use Sermos connectors. They are big and bulky, and heavy.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 16, 2013, 12:09 PM
Joined Mar 2012
739 Posts
Quote:
Thanks guys. I bought a new 45C lipo today from HK. We'll try that and see if I can get some more thrust. What connectors are you guys using? The motor only pulls about 9 amps now, so I am using those little JST connectors. If I pull more than 10amps, I may have to use Sermos connectors. They are big and bulky, and heavy.
9 amps!!!!!!!!!!!!!.......... full throttle should be twice that. either you got a bum unit, have too small gauge wiring, a bad ESC, weak solder joint....or something....9 amps is definitely under powered.

I use Deans "t" connectors on 50mm fans on up, they hold up nicely.

Joe
Old Sep 16, 2013, 01:53 PM
USA, IL, St Charles
Joined Nov 2002
1,822 Posts
Hmmm. Well, let's see what the new battery gives me. I will go do a test before getting the new battery, I have other 3-cell lipo's, with higher C rating, will hook up to the watt meter and see what I get. Please stand by...
RCG Plus Member