Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 06:02 PM
KingtechUSA
Tampa FL
Joined Apr 2009
2,831 Posts
For those interested here is a link to the smartfly EQ. Good find snowflake that will help my friend trying to install a guardian that needs a reversed servo for the elevator.

https://www.smart-fly.com/Products/E.../equalizer.htm
gunradd is offline Find More Posts by gunradd
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2014, 09:14 PM
Michael
United States, ME, Wells
Joined May 2008
1,066 Posts
SmartFly Referenced By Another Poster

I cannot take credit for finding the SmartFly Equalizer II. I am not even sure if it was this forum where I first saw mention of it, but I had a 1/4 scale bird with dual elevators and wanted the Guardian installed and did not want to use only one-half of the elevator for stabilization...

It was so easy to setup, reverse one of the servos, and adjust the end-points to ensure tracked elevator halves. Without the Guardian, I have done all that in my TX and found the level of effort to be slightly more with the SmartFly, but still dead simple..

Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunradd View Post
For those interested here is a link to the smartfly EQ. Good find snowflake that will help my friend trying to install a guardian that needs a reversed servo for the elevator.

https://www.smart-fly.com/Products/E.../equalizer.htm
Snowflake6515 is offline Find More Posts by Snowflake6515
Old Mar 21, 2014, 09:29 PM
Michael
United States, ME, Wells
Joined May 2008
1,066 Posts
TSHARK,
As I indicated in my first response, I do not use a Powerbox, but do use the equivalent in my brand of radio system (dual RX, dual batteries, etc.).

In your photos, the two bottom rows have the RX outputs from each RX plugged in (same order for RX1 and RX2.) The Powerbox makes the decision which RX output to send to the "upper bank" where the servos normally get connected. Placing the Guardian between the Powerbox upper bank and the three or four servos (one or two ailerons, single elevator, single rudder) is logical; modified by power concerns, noise concerns, etc. A product such as the SmartFly Equalizer II allows you to have full Guardian stabilization in a very simple and straightforward manner for multiple elevator and/or rudder servos. I am toying with a larger bird with multiple servos per surface and, to use the Guardian in that situation, I will configure my TX for a dual aileron (one servo per aileron), single elevator, single rudder, and then install Equalizer units to manage the rest. IIRC, you can get Equalizer devices that can control more than two servos.

My Jeti system also provides dual RF paths and I have often used a separate RX paired. I can have one RX handle the left side or the front side and the other RX handle the other parts. Or, for my multicopter, I have one RX handling flight controls and stabilization and another RX handling camera control (gimbal, shutter, etc.)

WIth 9ft of servo leads, I would look into ferrite cores, remote power, etc.; there are hints in Rick's (choocho22) user guide. My longest extensions are 36" and I cannot have a separate battery in the tail. I do isolate the power for the remote servos (see Rick's guide) and also use ferrite cores. I have not had any problems.

Nine feet, however, would make me rethink power distribution, redundant Powerboxes, etc.; just thinking out loud.

Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSHARK View Post
Ok so ib think I follow you. You want me to plug the system between the Powerbox and the servo leads going out too the servos. And I should have no problem with power going all way to the (9ft back) to the elevator servos and the rudder servo. I guess I need to dig on here to see a setup. I may need to get the igyro unfortunately. As I look more at this. That sucks.
I understand what you are saying at the bottom of the box with rx and rx2 but I don't see it with going from the top of the box. I can't y harness anything if I have to with the 2 elevator servos and the rudder and nose wheel servo. What am I missing.
Snowflake6515 is offline Find More Posts by Snowflake6515
Old Mar 21, 2014, 10:40 PM
Rick
United States, CA, Santa Clara
Joined Mar 2011
1,993 Posts
Has anyone tried a setup with dual Guardians, right vs left, or dual rx, etc.? It would seem that the mode & gain could be combined and such a setup should be workable.
choochoo22 is online now Find More Posts by choochoo22
Old Mar 22, 2014, 09:43 PM
Joined Aug 2007
43 Posts
I posted a photo of my duel guardian setup, a couple of months ago.

Jack
jack726 is offline Find More Posts by jack726
Old Mar 23, 2014, 11:14 AM
Strongsville, Ohio
Joined Apr 2002
6 Posts
2D/3D switch

I have an old JR X378 radio with a 2 postion gear switch. The travel adjust function range is from 0 - 150%. The Guardian manual says to configure your mode switch to -100% to activate 2D Mode. Is there any way I can program this radio to switch between 2D and 3D?
george wheeler is offline Find More Posts by george wheeler
Old Mar 23, 2014, 02:05 PM
Rick
Joined Mar 2011
1,993 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by george wheeler View Post
I have an old JR X378 radio with a 2 postion gear switch. The travel adjust function range is from 0 - 150%. The Guardian manual says to configure your mode switch to -100% to activate 2D Mode. Is there any way I can program this radio to switch between 2D and 3D?
Yes. Just plug the mode wire into the gear channel, it should switch between 2D/3D by default.

It sounds like they have labeled this control in a manner that makes sense for gear. there is no logical use for "neutral" on landing gear, for example. I'm pretty sure you will find, however, that this channel outputs the same pulse range as the other channels regardless of how it's labeled. Or nearly the same. It still has to drive a servo after all.

You may also find the New Users Guide helpful for setting up your first Guardian installation. From here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=354219
Old Mar 23, 2014, 06:16 PM
Rick
Joined Mar 2011
1,993 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack726 View Post
I posted a photo of my duel guardian setup, a couple of months ago.

Jack
I had forgotten about that. How has it worked out for you?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...4#post26775963
Last edited by choochoo22; Mar 23, 2014 at 07:16 PM. Reason: add link
Old Mar 24, 2014, 06:37 AM
Australia, NSW, Balgowlah Heights
Joined May 2013
373 Posts
I have a Sky Fun jet using a HK 6 channel TX. It has a 2 position switch giving me 2D/3D and a knob to work the gain. I have been using the PC to do Trim and Level resets as the gesture of toggleing the 2 position switch will not work. This plane has an ESC that sings along number of sounds/notes, is that the problem or is it my RX.
Also wanted to ask with the gain knob set to off, does this allow the plane to be trimmed in flight or is the G still on even with the knob turned to off position.
Reading Choochoo22 guide, you do a trim and Level flight reset with the master gain off.
If I do that then set the master gain up my elevons on my Skyfun MOVE, is that meant to happen.- because....
Reading the Eagle tree Document on page 9 it says .
Issue, " When I increase the gain on the G, I see one or more control surfaces move, even though my model is level"
Solution, " This can happen if the G does not know your latest trim settings. Make sure you perform the Reset Level Flight and Trims or Reset Level Trims operation each time you change your models trim setting.
I do this but still the control surfaces move when I adjust the gain.
farrari is offline Find More Posts by farrari
Old Mar 24, 2014, 01:55 PM
Rick
Joined Mar 2011
1,993 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by farrari View Post
I have a Sky Fun jet using a HK 6 channel TX. It has a 2 position switch giving me 2D/3D and a knob to work the gain. I have been using the PC to do Trim and Level resets as the gesture of toggleing the 2 position switch will not work. This plane has an ESC that sings along number of sounds/notes, is that the problem or is it my RX.
Also wanted to ask with the gain knob set to off, does this allow the plane to be trimmed in flight or is the G still on even with the knob turned to off position.
Reading Choochoo22 guide, you do a trim and Level flight reset with the master gain off.
If I do that then set the master gain up my elevons on my Skyfun MOVE, is that meant to happen.- because....
Reading the Eagle tree Document on page 9 it says .
Issue, " When I increase the gain on the G, I see one or more control surfaces move, even though my model is level"
Solution, " This can happen if the G does not know your latest trim settings. Make sure you perform the Reset Level Flight and Trims or Reset Level Trims operation each time you change your models trim setting.
I do this but still the control surfaces move when I adjust the gain.
Have you been flying this plane or are you still working on setting it up?

Double check the LED on the Guardian to be sure the switch is really giving you 2D/3D. The LED should be on solid for 3D and blinking for 2D. With your setup it should never be off.

Make sure your Guardian is mounted flat in the plane. It doesn't need to be perfectly flat but it shouldn't be on edge on the fuse side for example. Flat but upside down is OK if, for instance, you have it mounted under the wing. It has a tolerance of 25 from flat but don't push that limit.

The esc and receiver are not the problem on the toggling resets. This must be done in the first 15 sec after powering up the plane but 15 sec is plenty of time, don't rush it. Turn on the transmitter first. Plug in the plane and set it down flat. Wait until all the beeping stops. Do a quick wiggle of the stick to be sure the receiver has bound. Flip the mode switch, wait 1/2 to 1 sec, flip it back. After a couple of seconds you should see the confirming twitch. If you don't see the twitch, do it again. If you do see the twitch, do it again anyway but this time be careful to prop the plane in a level but slightly nose up attitude.

Having done the above successfully, and before you touch the plane; you should be able to turn the gain up and down with no surface movement in either mode. If you see a small aileron movement in 2D it is ignorable.

The Guardian is still on with the gain knob turned to zero, the LED will still be on solid for 3D or blinking for 2D. It isn't doing anything however, and you can trim the plane with the Guardian in this state. After trimming you need to do a trim reset. The reset gestures will work regardless of the master gain setting and the confirming twitches work even with the gain off.

If none of the above is working for you, plug the Guardian into the PC. With the Guardian flat, click the factory reset, then the reset level, restore any settings you may have made. Unplug and try the above again.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 04:20 PM
Rick
Joined Mar 2011
1,993 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbysbrother View Post
That problem is solvable and it's not due to the RX not confirming to some connector standard - as far as pin-to-pin separation is concerned. Connecting the G's cable to most RXs will result in the same problem - which is the cumulative affect of the slight "bulge" on the channel connector ends.

You can solve the problem by replacing one or two of the G's cable ends (or all of them if you are so incline) with the following servo end.

http://www.hansenhobbies.com/product...ors/pt1in_1x3/

But if you do, don't forget to re-label the end.

Strictly speaking there is no reason for ET to use the type of servo end with the "bulge" - i.e. a servo end that looks like the following.

http://www.hansenhobbies.com/product...ectors/sc_unh/

To my knowledge the servo ends with this bulge are only required when fitting male ends with a cover sleeve. Since that has nothing to do with the G, they would make it easier to connect it to RXs if they made their cable with the connector end without the bulge.
The "economy" connectors referenced don't have the bulge but they also don't have the JR bevel. This would be fine in Futaba receivers or receivers with a soft case but in a JR/Spektrum style receiver with a hard case these won't fit without slicing a bevel.

The other link is for a "universal" connector shell that includes the bevel. It has a shoulder, which doesn't matter, but I can't tell from the photos if it also has a bulge. Does anyone know if these connector shells have the "bulge"?
Old Mar 25, 2014, 02:01 AM
Joined May 2013
373 Posts
Hi Choochoo 22,
Yes not flying yet, still setting up.
Yes I am getting 2D/3D indications and control movements. When I do the resets using my PC all is OK.
Did try to do the reset with my 2 position switch, however this plane has an ESC that" SINGS" for 40 seconds before it stops from battery plug in. So no go here.
Did notice when I increase the gain it only effects the Aileron side in 2D as you said.
So may be I need to get ride of the LONG sing from the ESC, I did read a long time ago that it is possible to do so with this ESC, what do you think. Thanks, Chris
Old Mar 25, 2014, 06:25 AM
KingtechUSA
Tampa FL
Joined Apr 2009
2,831 Posts
Chris you could also simply plug in small receiver pack straight to the receiver to reset your trims and bypass the ESC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by farrari View Post
Hi Choochoo 22,
Yes not flying yet, still setting up.
Yes I am getting 2D/3D indications and control movements. When I do the resets using my PC all is OK.
Did try to do the reset with my 2 position switch, however this plane has an ESC that" SINGS" for 40 seconds before it stops from battery plug in. So no go here.
Did notice when I increase the gain it only effects the Aileron side in 2D as you said.
So may be I need to get ride of the LONG sing from the ESC, I did read a long time ago that it is possible to do so with this ESC, what do you think. Thanks, Chris
gunradd is offline Find More Posts by gunradd
Old Mar 25, 2014, 06:53 AM
Joined May 2013
373 Posts
Gunradd, not sure exactly what you mean.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 09:56 AM
NW UK
Joined Mar 2009
141 Posts
A few days ago my son was flying his PZ T28 with Guardian and he suddenly struggled to keep her level, the T28 just kept wanting to roll .

He's quite young and fairly inexperienced but managed to land ok. Normally I would have been there to help him but this was the very first time we had decided to fly both our T28's together so whilst I rushed to land mine I just kept talking to him, but I couldn't get a good look at what his plane was doing at the time, though my elder son who is even less experienced said it looked bad. I know my youngest was sounding really upset whilst he was trying to land.

Anyway afterwards I looked at it and one of the aileron servos wasn't centering. It was a 2nd hand plane when I bought it and though I went through it and replaced the old looking and noisy tail servos, the aileron servos had already been replaced with turnigy ones so I left them and it's flown at least 20 times. Anyway it's got new HXT900's in there now.

With hindsight it's most likely that it was a good thing I couldn't take the tx off him because it's possible just handing it over to me and letting go of the ailerons for a few seconds would have caused it to roll in and crash.

I know one of the things I should have done was teach him more rudder control and he could have helped with that.

Anyway, the question I'm wondering about is. Would the G have been helping him anyway with the rudder and/or other good aileron to try and level in 2d ?
Deano N is online now Find More Posts by Deano N