HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 05, 2012, 01:04 AM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,666 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chainlink View Post
I have no indoor field. Seems like Saturday morning after Saturday morning I would look out the window and it would look calm - only to go to the field and have a slight 10 mph breeze. When I did try to fly the P51, I would struggled getting it upwind, bouncing it all over the place as it went.

I grew up flying 40-60 nitro and 2 meter sailplanes. When I finally went electric, it was straight to overpowered lipo/brushless. My 50 watt, 4.5oz 20" cmw had no issues with 10mph winds and 20mph would just bump it around a little. My blue albacore at 100 watts hardly notices wind.

The P51 has just been too environmentally picky for me. In one year, I have 3 days at the field I felt were marginally calm enough. Out of those, I have managed 1 full flight - the other two I have simple landed early as I was not enjoying the work required to fight even the lightest of breezes.

I really hope the AS3X can help the Spitfire outside. I hope to see a complete line of these made. That said, I think the um line is more targeted to indoor flying and the umx is ultimately going to be more enjoyably flyable outdoors. Both will have some crossover, but 3x the power will help when the wind blows.
Hmmm, at the risk of biting on a set hoook ... I have (3) UM's (Beast V1, Sukoi XP and Mosquito) and have done a lot of flying on them as well as the UM P-51 and T-28 and have never flow ANY of them indoors. Usually have a bit of wind to a fair bit of wind and find them to be a TON of fun to fly around here. More fun when calmer, but still no issues to fly any of them really in light to medium winds. (Well, the Mossie isn't as much fun in anything over 5 mph or so, but the others handle much more very well.)

Just my experience. I am no "expert" flyer, but really enjoy these birds. I think adding the AS3X should revolutionize UM flying. Can't wait to try it.

Marlin
Fish99 is offline Find More Posts by Fish99
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2012, 08:31 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,892 Posts
BS, I am with you. Now that we have a UM line with gliders, jets, and a Cub with flaps, its time for HH to step up and do micro retracts for these things. A guy at my LHS is hand making them, so I know it can be done.

Bring on the UM retracts!!!
tclaridge is offline Find More Posts by tclaridge
Old Feb 05, 2012, 08:52 AM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tclaridge View Post
BS, I am with you. Now that we have a UM line with gliders, jets, and a Cub with flaps, its time for HH to step up and do micro retracts for these things. A guy at my LHS is hand making them, so I know it can be done.

Bring on the UM retracts!!!
I have ultra light weight (negative weight actually) retracts on my Polecat now... I leave the landing gear in the box when I take it out
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RA Cores Yak 55 Review
Old Feb 05, 2012, 09:59 AM
No, I dont work for HH ;)
Southampton, Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2009
3,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy01 View Post
Because of someone's obvious (to the popcorner) ludicrous, inflammatory, patently false, or blatantly agitating statements that appear (to the popcorner) to be made, intentionally or otherwise, to solicit comments or retorts......I think.

Gene K
I think i'd rather eat my popcorn than try to understand that!

haha
Bowerz is online now Find More Posts by Bowerz
Old Feb 05, 2012, 10:06 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,887 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowerz View Post
I think i'd rather eat my popcorn than try to understand that!

haha
Mission accomplished!

Gene K
speedy01 is online now Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Feb 05, 2012, 11:00 AM
Blacksburg, VA 24060 USA
Joined Feb 2000
3,181 Posts
Being too lazy to research propeller efficiency relative to number of blades, and the UMX Spit's 4-blade prop, I offer this. The first of the full-size Spits (and Hawker Hurricane) were equipped with two-blade fixed-pitch props. The next generation had three-blade props. The Mark XI Spit had four-bladers; some Griffon-engined Spits had five-blade props, as did the Hawker Sea Fury.

Prototypes of the B-29 had three-blade props, but production versions had four-bladers. Likewise the early C-130 had three-bladers, while later versions had four-bladers. Newer C-130s have six-blade props. The Grumman C-2 has eight-blade propellers.

It would seem to me that, as power is increased, it is more practical to add more blades to the propeller to convert that power it into thrust, rather than increase the diameter. A smaller propeller disk allows shorter landing gear and closer placement of two engines per wing on a four-engine airplane.

How that translates to model airplanes, particularly very small ones, I don't know. Has anybody done tests?

Jim R.
JRuggiero is offline Find More Posts by JRuggiero
Old Feb 05, 2012, 12:05 PM
Houston, TX, US
Joined Jun 2000
1,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaladroitFL View Post
I'm absolutely "in" on this Spit.

Horizon had me with the low n' slow in the video. And I am afraid it might fly better than my UM T-28, which will hurt my feeble mind and confuse my loyalty to the T-28.

As soon as I get it, I'll paint it Navy Blue and tell the wife "Oh that? It's just my Corsair!"
"..... low n'slow..." Yes! Isn't that what it's all about? I can see it now. Cruising the little Spitfire low n'slow at dawn! Then doing a nice pattern to set it it up for a smooth landing.
DaveG is offline Find More Posts by DaveG
Old Feb 05, 2012, 12:09 PM
No Guts, No Glory!
USA, WA, South Hill
Joined Sep 2008
3,155 Posts
Parkzone Ultra Micro P-51 Mustang Retracts Mod.wmv (0 min 59 sec)
HuffDaddy is offline Find More Posts by HuffDaddy
Old Feb 05, 2012, 03:04 PM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,666 Posts
Fantatisic work by that fellow! Sure would like to see that in flight. Found this one of someone setting up ROTATING RETRACTS for UM corsair size plane. Absolutely amazing. With folks doing this on their own it won't be long I am sure before we see retracts on a UMX plane from Eflite ...

Marlin

Super Micro F4U Corsair retracts (0 min 13 sec)
Fish99 is offline Find More Posts by Fish99
Old Feb 05, 2012, 04:07 PM
Joined Mar 2011
196 Posts
Got a champ a couple days ago and i'm mastering it already. I'm sure ill be ready for this. I want to get this in march for my birthday, then get the UMX Carbon Cub SS. the cub looks great and flaps are cool. The spit looks amazing!!! having a blast with the champ and can't wait for the spit, and carbon cub. Horizon is having a lot of fun robbing our wqallets lol. thanks HH
Dittsboylogan is offline Find More Posts by Dittsboylogan
Old Feb 05, 2012, 05:50 PM
Helicopter Baron
United States, CO, Golden
Joined Feb 2012
68 Posts
Quote:
I'm not sure why anyone is upset that it has a brushed motor for $99. The rest of the ParkZone UM's warbirds are the same price or more, with brushed motors and no AS3X.

I would be curious to see what the all-in-one board looks like on this new plane. Obviously it will be something different since it has AS3X but most of the existing boards have three pin outputs that can drive a brushless ESC instead of the brushed motor. Add a tiny ESC and a motor and you're ready to go! See page 3 in the AR6400 manual. http://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/F...0-L-Manual.pdf
spaaarky21 is offline Find More Posts by spaaarky21
Old Feb 05, 2012, 05:54 PM
No, I dont work for HH ;)
Southampton, Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2009
3,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaaarky21 View Post
I'm not sure why anyone is upset that it has a brushed motor for $99. The rest of the ParkZone UM's warbirds are the same price or more, with brushed motors and no AS3X.

I would be curious to see what the all-in-one board looks like on this new plane. Obviously it will be something different since it has AS3X but most of the existing boards have three pin outputs that can drive a brushless ESC instead of the brushed motor. Add a tiny ESC and a motor and you're ready to go! See page 3 in the AR6400 manual. http://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/F...0-L-Manual.pdf
Like i said earlier on, i would rather pay slightly more to not have to keep replacing motors. the fact is these micro brushed motors burn out way too quickly for my liking. However if they have changed the makeup of these motors and fixed that issue, i'll be all happy!
Bowerz is online now Find More Posts by Bowerz
Old Feb 05, 2012, 07:58 PM
Helicopter Baron
United States, CO, Golden
Joined Feb 2012
68 Posts
Quote:
Like i said earlier on, i would rather pay slightly more to not have to keep replacing motors. the fact is these micro brushed motors burn out way too quickly for my liking. However if they have changed the makeup of these motors and fixed that issue, i'll be all happy!
I agree 100% but for $99 with plenty of parts available at local shops, they are what they are. If you are willing to pay a little more for a brushless ultra micro, there are options out there.

Although, if you just like these ParkZone planes like I do, I can't imagine Horizon upgrading the design for much less than it would cost to "hot rod" it yourself... that is, if you are willing to wait for HobbyKing's shipping.
spaaarky21 is offline Find More Posts by spaaarky21
Old Feb 05, 2012, 08:52 PM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,275 Posts
I'm one who has yet to have one of these brushed motors let go on me....
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Feb 05, 2012, 09:41 PM
Lusby, MD 20657
Joined Mar 2001
496 Posts
I have number of this brushed motor planes. Todate I have no problems with the motors.
pdansalvish is online now Find More Posts by pdansalvish