HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 12, 2012, 03:59 PM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
United States, NY, Shelter Island
Joined May 2011
877 Posts
Thanks for the detailed shots. Looks good. Quality appears to be there. These guys also built the B-17 Memphis Belle from Hobbyking and were a little light on the glue in the wooden trays and the gear housing so look those over well. Hardware and motor mount look solid. I'm curious to see video of the flights.

Thanks for the insight,
H
shelterock is offline Find More Posts by shelterock
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2012, 02:02 AM
The land down under
Australia, NSW
Joined Jul 2010
558 Posts
Wondering if this thread should be in the scale section being a pnp?
simo71 is online now Find More Posts by simo71
Old Feb 14, 2012, 06:54 AM
How close are those trees?
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simo71 View Post
Wondering if this thread should be in the scale section being a pnp?
No objections from me if you want to move it over.....
Goody63 is offline Find More Posts by Goody63
Old Feb 14, 2012, 03:36 PM
The land down under
Australia, NSW
Joined Jul 2010
558 Posts
No biggy, just thought it might get more interest.

Dadamen, Have you progressed any further? I'm so looking forward to get out there with mine but I'm feeling a bit off so It may still be a while.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 11:01 AM
France
Joined Dec 2009
20 Posts
That advances gently….In any case, it is the great winter at home, one will be able to fly only in 2 months;
Thus I customized the cockpit and paints the legs of the lander;
For the canopy the glue 'formula 560 'as on picture walk very well, even on the EPO;
Is there no information in the notice for the CG? (just limps it which gives visual information) and I have a concern when I look on Ecalc (http://www.ecalc.ch/motorcalc_e.htm?ecalc)
does an engine of 560 Kv (i took a dualsky XM4260CA-6 - 566 KV and XM4250EA -8 - 560 KV who I think are similar) with a propeller three blades 16x8, in lipo 4S, that draws much from amps?? 65 - 70 A - see pictures;
In France www.topmodel.fr sells a similar pitts s12 (woods) - http://www.topmodel.fr/product-detai...2-60e-146m-arf and it is advised a lipo 6S, an engine 470 Kv and a propeller 14x7 .....documentation here http://www.topmodel.fr/goodsdoc/0641...1207643579.pdf
This notice (at he end) take CG at 65 mm on the wings lower?To see for ours;
Not for 3D can be, but realistic speed
And sorry for my poor language….
dadamen is offline Find More Posts by dadamen
Last edited by dadamen; Feb 16, 2012 at 11:23 AM.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 05:28 PM
The land down under
Australia, NSW
Joined Jul 2010
558 Posts
Dadamen,

They say the cg is 65mm from the leading edge of the top wing which puts it at the carbon spare of the top wing. Now I was going to go with this but I found to much weight needed to be added to the nose of the plane, upon research with a pitts 12 what I found was the cg (as a guide only) is generally inline with the leading edge of the bottom wing which in the case of this model puts it at around 120mm from the leading edge of the top wing, once I got this measurement I went forward to 110mm from the leading edge of the top wing. Now all I have to do is fly it, so will let you know how it goes.

With 5s 3000mah 20c Zippy using the stock 3 blade prop I'm getting peak amps of 65 & peak watts of around 1220-1230 so,
If you are going to run 5s or even 6s with this model I would suggest going to a higher spec ESC such as the 70amp Turnigy Dlux for 5s or possibly the 100amp for 6s, going to another higher spec ESC is just cheap insurance & for the $25-35 dollar outlay it's worth while. I have used the Dlux esc's previously with good reliability so I went that way with this.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 12:54 PM
France
Joined Dec 2009
20 Posts
The assembly is finished;
You are right simo, even with a lipo 6s of 550 gr., in order to make a test, for a CG to 65 mm, it still misses weight (+200 gr.??)
I think that it is an error of the notice.....
I could not advance more for the moment I leave in vacancy one week…
But I remain connected on the post with the case, if manages to you to make a flight;
If you can also say what you retain in clearances;
Best regards
Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:05 AM
France
Joined Dec 2009
20 Posts
something of nine ?
Old Feb 22, 2012, 06:54 PM
The land down under
Australia, NSW
Joined Jul 2010
558 Posts
I have done the maiden plus another five flights. The cg I worked out turned out to be on the money with only a slight bit of down trim, no other trim was required.

Loops well, rolls well, and to my surprise snaps really well. I was also able to sustain a hover with slow climb out. Inverted flight was good with only a slight bit of down added to maintian level flight. At 3.5 kg flying weight I could not feel that in the air at
all except for when it come to land. What I found was that if you let it sink then level her out until it touches down, other landings it either bounced on first touch or landed to heavy due to flaring too much also bending the landing gear.

Now sadly on its 5 flight the prop/spinner exploded causing a great looking explosion of parts and a great big boof sound, without power I tried to kep it gliding and on final bank to land it it fell out of the sky breaking the left bottom wIng just where the carbon tube ends.

Further investigation I found why it failed, with the heat from the motor( thanks to just prop hanging) it caused the prop adapter/ spinner baking plate to become brittle, combine that with the thrust of the the three blade prop it just gave up. All in all the damage is not too bad an hour or two will have it going again.

My advise would be to run an alloy spinner or a good quality plastic one with a two blade prop as it will be more efficient and should generate less heat. Nothing would stop you using the stock three blade if you are handy with a drill and accurate measurements though, just use an alloy prop if you do.
Last edited by simo71; Feb 22, 2012 at 07:01 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 05:05 AM
France
Joined Dec 2009
20 Posts
Hello and thank you for all this information;
I will retain the same CG as you, 110 mm of the leading edge on the top wing;
According to your tests that appears a good measure.

which is the autonomy of flight with your lipo 5s 3300 mah.
Do you think ultimately that it is a good choice?
you tested hovering, knife edge...
How would be the plane in lipo 4s

And if I pass on a two-bladed propeller in lipo 5S, you would advise what in dimension?;
Old Mar 30, 2012, 06:19 AM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
United States, NY, Shelter Island
Joined May 2011
877 Posts
Anybody with video, or an update on the plane? Thread has stalled.
shelterock is offline Find More Posts by shelterock
Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:52 PM
magna,utah
Joined Oct 2009
51 Posts
Is there a US distributor. i want one of these. love the color and its a great size
jhardman is offline Find More Posts by jhardman
Old Aug 23, 2012, 06:11 PM
Joined Nov 2010
287 Posts
jhardman: I just purchased a yellow/black from Hobby King...in stock in USA.
1911tex is offline Find More Posts by 1911tex
Old Sep 17, 2012, 02:02 PM
Micro Flyer
United Kingdom, Marham Airfield
Joined Jun 2005
770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911tex View Post
jhardman: I just purchased a yellow/black from Hobby King...in stock in USA.
is it the same pitts?
i am going to purchase one soon. just saving up the .
I think 150 for a PNP pitts this huge is a bargain!!! although i think i would like to up rate it to a 6s setup in the future.
lord chris is offline Find More Posts by lord chris
Old Sep 20, 2012, 02:33 AM
Joined Apr 2010
15 Posts
Hi guys, the Pitts is originally manufactured by Sonicmodell.com. Check the hobby show link. Seems they release a new version. Anyone takes it?
http://www.rcmania.hk/article-995-100.html
blackhearted is offline Find More Posts by blackhearted