HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Sep 03, 2012, 12:31 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
v8truckin's Avatar
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,580 Posts
It also saves your battery by not pushing em to LVC, they'll last longer. U gonna post pics of the recent damage n fix or was it nothing major?
v8truckin is offline Find More Posts by v8truckin
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 03, 2012, 02:38 PM
Registered User
disho's Avatar
United Kingdom, England, Durham
Joined Apr 2011
230 Posts
Hi guys been on this thread a long time page by page so time to say hi, well i placed an order for the su 35 around 8 weeks ago i got the plug n fly from rc castle, what a bird, not had much luck , maiden flight not to bad but ripped front retract and doors off on landing on grass easy repair, had to replace the elevator servos as one started to flutter, i fly off grass so ive now stripped all the wheels out and door servos and glass taped all the pod intakes to make a strong landing surface and now im hand launching her she goes away easy she is now flying fantastic.
disho is offline Find More Posts by disho
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 03, 2012, 02:52 PM
Registered User
acesimmer's Avatar
United States, NV, Fernley
Joined Oct 2011
1,974 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin View Post
Ace,

What's your problem on landings ?
Problem is the density altitude is like being at 9000 ft most times. We lose a lot of lift. Add to that nasty thermals has we transition from the desert scrub onto hot pavement and we get lots of thermals along with a constant cross wind. We have the same problems with our prop scale planes.

I just have to get the grove to what works here. Landings are smooth but have to come in reasonably hot to keep it flying. Early morning flights when temps are 65- 75 are no issue and can fly great do all the 3D stuff and land like a champ. At that time the air is smooth with little or no thermal action. When it gets hot the desert whips up all kinds of nasty twisters and other stuff so all models become a hand full.

Yesterday I flew a guys big heavy high performance YAK from Vegas cause he said it flew great in Vegas but he could not handle the aircraft here. Asked me to test fly it and trim it out. So knowing the area here I made changes prior to the test flight. It flew great after that. It comes in at 12 Lbs and was great in the cooler air. Once it heated up it became a hand full and he stripped the gears off it when trying to land it. Earlier flights done in cooler air where fantastic and it was super smooth.

So just have to find the best envelope for these conditions.
acesimmer is offline Find More Posts by acesimmer
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 03, 2012, 04:15 PM
Registered User
DamonH's Avatar
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Oct 2011
3,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesimmer View Post
Problem is the density altitude is like being at 9000 ft most times. We lose a lot of lift. Add to that nasty thermals has we transition from the desert scrub onto hot pavement and we get lots of thermals along with a constant cross wind. We have the same problems with our prop scale planes.

I just have to get the grove to what works here. Landings are smooth but have to come in reasonably hot to keep it flying. Early morning flights when temps are 65- 75 are no issue and can fly great do all the 3D stuff and land like a champ. At that time the air is smooth with little or no thermal action. When it gets hot the desert whips up all kinds of nasty twisters and other stuff so all models become a hand full.

Yesterday I flew a guys big heavy high performance YAK from Vegas cause he said it flew great in Vegas but he could not handle the aircraft here. Asked me to test fly it and trim it out. So knowing the area here I made changes prior to the test flight. It flew great after that. It comes in at 12 Lbs and was great in the cooler air. Once it heated up it became a hand full and he stripped the gears off it when trying to land it. Earlier flights done in cooler air where fantastic and it was super smooth.

So just have to find the best envelope for these conditions.
Ace,

Where you from? Sounds exactly like my conditions in New Mexico.
DamonH is offline Find More Posts by DamonH
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 03, 2012, 05:37 PM
Registered User
acesimmer's Avatar
United States, NV, Fernley
Joined Oct 2011
1,974 Posts
I'm flying out at Tiger field in Fernley just outside of Reno Nevada.
acesimmer is offline Find More Posts by acesimmer
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 03, 2012, 06:23 PM
Registered User
Wargassm's Avatar
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Nov 2010
565 Posts
enjoy

su35 left viewflight 1 (4 min 50 sec)


su35 left right viewflight 2 (5 min 20 sec)


su35 rear view flight 1 (4 min 55 sec)
Wargassm is offline Find More Posts by Wargassm
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 03, 2012, 07:21 PM
Registered User
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Oct 2010
234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SU-4ever View Post
I actually don't have to.

You could be also experiencing the effects of a very NOSE HEAVY plane effect. If you have your CG too much forward for a stable setup, on th turns, the airplane will tend to bank deeper because of the moment created by the pair of forces weight vs lift. (Think of CG being ahead of center of pressure).

Cheers!
Jandro.
Seems you were right. Moved 5000mAh battery all the way back as far as no foam cutting allows. It files better. Will move it even further. This means I'm 2-3cm behind CG. Wonder if this is an effect of high altitude...
Sockrat is offline Find More Posts by Sockrat
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 03, 2012, 07:50 PM
Flying Hazard
SU-4ever's Avatar
Spain
Joined May 2006
2,687 Posts
Aha! nice!

It seems engineering knowledge has shown useful at last!


Don't think altitude has nothing to do.
If you want to keep backing the CG use always little increments so that there's no risk of an excessively tail heavy setup
(Though, that's pretty difficult to get on stock setup) but no one has tried cutting foam to allow the battery further back from what I know.

Cheers and keep us updated!
SU-4ever is offline Find More Posts by SU-4ever
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 03, 2012, 08:35 PM
Registered User
Wargassm's Avatar
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Nov 2010
565 Posts
su35 wing cam vid left side

Flight #3
su35 left side flight 3 (4 min 12 sec)
Wargassm is offline Find More Posts by Wargassm
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 03, 2012, 09:07 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
v8truckin's Avatar
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,580 Posts
Nice vidz War! Looks like the wing cam view is catching on. What u using to mount it and have you had any flight problems with it ?
v8truckin is offline Find More Posts by v8truckin
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 03, 2012, 10:10 PM
John
jk671's Avatar
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Mar 2011
436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin View Post
It also saves your battery by not pushing em to LVC, they'll last longer. U gonna post pics of the recent damage n fix or was it nothing major?
nothing major
jk671 is offline Find More Posts by jk671
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 03, 2012, 10:50 PM
Registered User
Wargassm's Avatar
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Nov 2010
565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin View Post
Nice vidz War! Looks like the wing cam view is catching on. What u using to mount it and have you had any flight problems with it ?
velcro. Next week ill do front, and wing view. If the ESC's hold up. hear it in the middle of flight start to overheat, hear that up and down pitch

no no issues holding on.
Wargassm is offline Find More Posts by Wargassm
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 03, 2012, 11:41 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
v8truckin's Avatar
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,580 Posts
Oh thats what that sound was... You still running stock ESC's?
v8truckin is offline Find More Posts by v8truckin
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 03, 2012, 11:47 PM
Registered User
Wargassm's Avatar
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Nov 2010
565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin View Post
Oh thats what that sound was... You still running stock ESC's?
yes
Wargassm is offline Find More Posts by Wargassm
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 04, 2012, 01:21 AM
Registered User
New Zealand, Bay Of Plenty, Papamoa
Joined Jun 2012
33 Posts
hey disho , check out my mods for belly landing a few pages back it may help, as everyone on here will probably tell you the su is weak in certain places , maybe look at the area aroung the cheater holes and inlet ducts as a starter. i had a rough landing this weekend , an impending meeting with a goal post meant i had to pancake it in, initialy i thought i had ascaped until furthur investigation showed most of my battery was sticking out underneath the fuselage !!!, anyway a quick repair with some ply and glass and shes better than ever, i have it on video so will try and post vid, all the best.
richardaa is offline Find More Posts by richardaa
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion LX F-35 Vs Freewing F-35 Mmarshall Foamy EDFs 17 Jul 09, 2014 06:49 AM
Found SU-34 Freewing lw777pilot Aircraft - Electric - Jets (FS/W) 1 Dec 15, 2013 01:25 PM
New Product Brand New SU-35! 70x2,TV and made by Freewing!Update:Worldwide Availability neversommer Foamy EDFs 593 Jan 09, 2012 09:02 PM
For Sale Freewing SU-34 stock battery - Brand New JGuilty13 Aircraft - Electric - Batteries & Chargers (FS/W) 0 Nov 29, 2011 02:01 PM
For Sale Freewing SU-34 stock battery JGuilty13 Aircraft - Electric - Jets (FS/W) 0 Nov 29, 2011 10:29 AM