HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 07, 2012, 12:23 AM
Back in the hobby- ALL in!
United States, NH, Greenland
Joined Feb 2012
983 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishdeth View Post
Got a new prop collet made by Hacker today and a new 1 3/4" yellow spinner.
Blast-off in the AM !

Jim
Why the new collet? I like the yellow spinner. I did that last week. Just put on a wooden 13x6 from Master Air Screw. Haven't flown yet but it should be nice. Good luck with maiden.
dth7 is offline Find More Posts by dth7
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2012, 06:00 PM
Team Broke
Orlando/ Winter Garden, FL
Joined Feb 2003
5,671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dth7 View Post
Why the new collet? I like the yellow spinner. I did that last week. Just put on a wooden 13x6 from Master Air Screw. Haven't flown yet but it should be nice. Good luck with maiden.
The collet I hat was all aluminum and the threaded part of the prop shaft was hollow and I guess I was over tightening it and it broke right off.
The hacker has a steel shaft and 4 slits on the part that is compressed onto the motor shaft.

I only had time this morning to go to the schoolyard a block from my house and fly 1 battery through her.
No surprises, she took to the sky easily and after a few trims was flying pretty good.
The 4s1p 2200 45C pack made her ZOOM to the clouds !
I was trying to feel it out and the breeze picked up a little.
She handled the breeze just fine, even with the 3 1/2 ounce weight loss.
But I really wanted to do the fine trimming in the calm winds that I slept through....
I was on the recommended CG and I agree that I will want to move it back a bit.
Also maybe tweak the thrust angles a bit.
There is a specific sequence of maneuvers that you must fly and observe and tweak in order to truly get the plane flying correct, not just good.
I think she really has the potential to fly as good as my bigun.

Also, when flying inverted I noticed that the down elevator (up) was not real responsive ???
Anyone else notice that ?

She will get better !
Jim
fishdeth is offline Find More Posts by fishdeth
Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:26 PM
Joined Feb 2012
983 Posts
Before and after! "Shine" and "Nose job" on Peaks.

Original
2 coats of clear coat and yellow spinner
wooden 13x6 prop
Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:33 PM
Joined Feb 2012
983 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishdeth View Post
The collet I hat was all aluminum and the threaded part of the prop shaft was hollow and I guess I was over tightening it and it broke right off.
The hacker has a steel shaft and 4 slits on the part that is compressed onto the motor shaft.

I only had time this morning to go to the schoolyard a block from my house and fly 1 battery through her.
No surprises, she took to the sky easily and after a few trims was flying pretty good.
The 4s1p 2200 45C pack made her ZOOM to the clouds !
I was trying to feel it out and the breeze picked up a little.
She handled the breeze just fine, even with the 3 1/2 ounce weight loss.
But I really wanted to do the fine trimming in the calm winds that I slept through....
I was on the recommended CG and I agree that I will want to move it back a bit.
Also maybe tweak the thrust angles a bit.
There is a specific sequence of maneuvers that you must fly and observe and tweak in order to truly get the plane flying correct, not just good.
I think she really has the potential to fly as good as my bigun.

Also, when flying inverted I noticed that the down elevator (up) was not real responsive ???
Anyone else notice that ?

She will get better !
Jim
Remember Jim, it's still a foamie. I think there is a bit of flex in the tail no matter what you do. So, on "rails" may be a little too much to expect from this one but for the price it really is a nice addition to the hangar. When I think of the time and effort I put into my Art Tech Yak 54 for the same $ and nothing close to the results I've had with this model this Dynam really is a great value.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 08:59 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2010
1,650 Posts
Quote:
Before and after! "Shine" and "Nose job" on Peaks.

Original
2 coats of clear coat and yellow spinner
wooden 13x6 prop
i had done the same thing a while back. , but i add my own touches , i didnt like the name Peaks . so it had to go. as for the original paint is just too flat , the shine , makes the ship so much better

[IMG][/IMG]
THESANDMAN is offline Find More Posts by THESANDMAN
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:02 PM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jan 2007
992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by THESANDMAN View Post
i had done the same thing a while back. , but i add my own touches , i didnt like the name Peaks . so it had to go. as for the original paint is just too flat , the shine , makes the ship so much better

[IMG][/IMG]
Have 2 coats of Satin clear on mine now, red accent looks good may try something similar may be Blue?
Tim
w4yn is offline Find More Posts by w4yn
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:24 PM
United States, CA, Carlsbad
Joined Apr 2012
616 Posts
Dth- did the clear coat change the performance or weight at all?
TheMagician007 is offline Find More Posts by TheMagician007
Old Oct 08, 2012, 06:34 AM
Joined Feb 2012
983 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by THESANDMAN View Post

[IMG][/IMG]
Very Nice! What kind of paint did you use? I wasn't real big on "Peaks" either and considered getting a set of Python stickers but that would have increased the price of this terrific value! So I settled, they are growing on me and I do like the yellow. I only wish Dynam and Nitro would kick us all a little commission since we all "sell" one of these each time someone new sees them fly!
Old Oct 08, 2012, 06:37 AM
Joined Feb 2012
983 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Avllino View Post
Dth- did the clear coat change the performance or weight at all?
Not noticeably! I was only kidding about that. The wooden prop will likely help sin e the Dynam prop was pretty flexible.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 06:41 AM
Joined Feb 2012
983 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by w4yn View Post
Have 2 coats of Satin clear on mine now, red accent looks good may try something similar may be Blue?
Tim
Is it Krylon? I'm always leery with the foam. Thanks. I like the tinted canopy too., is that fogged w black?
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:01 AM
Joined Jan 2007
992 Posts
Quote:
Is it Krylon? I'm always leery with the foam. Thanks. I like the tinted canopy too., is that fogged w black?
I used Min Wax Polyacrylic, it is water based will not hurt anything!
I used a foam brush to apply, dries fairly quick between coats, water evaporates and I do not believe it weighs enough on this size bird to change anything.

Tim
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:08 AM
Joined Feb 2012
983 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for info, I thought 3s was OK, seems at one time 3c was listed as being needed to complete on website, I ordered 3c's with plane. Could have read it wrong on requirements though, I did not double check with manual just assumed 3c was right size.
I do have some 4C in mail for the big Waco so will be sure and use them on next try.
Tim
Tim make sure you have a batt strap mounted and some Velcro in the batt compartment. You may have also had an aft shift of your batt on takeoff that would compound your pitch up after takeoff. The cg really shouldn't be that sensitive on this plane. I've run mine at book cg, fwd and aft. Pretty much all over that batt hatch and it still flies nice. Double check your control surfaces to make sure they are all neutral, if you have dual rates set up 50% low rates and throw some expo in if you have it. One last suggestion, have some runway space for the maiden and when you do your take off roll go easy on the elevator. If it wants to "jump" into the air or if you feel you have to "pull" it off the ground at proper flying speed abort your takeoff and double check all the above. Cg should be roughly 1/3 to 1/2 way back from leading edge of wing (top on this one) of any plane. About where a wing spar will be.
It's easy to over control and yank an unbalanced / unstable airplane into the air only to find out it is way out of balance when you "relax" the controls from takeoff. Go easy, rotate slowly and notice what it is doing. At full power with a 4 cell takeoff roll is 5-10 feet! Good luck.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:09 AM
Joined Feb 2012
983 Posts
Quote:
I used Min Wax Polyacrylic, it is water based will not hurt anything!
I used a foam brush to apply, dries fairly quick between coats, water evaporates and I do not believe it weighs enough on this size bird to change anything.

Tim
Thanks!
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:25 AM
Joined Jan 2007
992 Posts
Quote:
Tim make sure you have a batt strap mounted and some Velcro in the batt compartment. You may have also had an aft shift of your batt on takeoff that would compound your pitch up after takeoff. The cg really shouldn't be that sensitive on this plane. I've run mine at book cg, fwd and aft. Pretty much all over that batt hatch and it still flies nice. Double check your control surfaces to make sure they are all neutral, if you have dual rates set up 50% low rates and throw some expo in if you have it. One last suggestion, have some runway space for the maiden and when you do your take off roll go easy on the elevator. If it wants to "jump" into the air or if you feel you have to "pull" it off the ground at proper flying speed abort your takeoff and double check all the above. Cg should be roughly 1/3 to 1/2 way back from leading edge of wing (top on this one) of any plane. About where a wing spar will be.
It's easy to over control and yank an unbalanced / unstable airplane into the air only to find out it is way out of balance when you "relax" the controls from takeoff. Go easy, rotate slowly and notice what it is doing. At full power with a 4 cell takeoff roll is 5-10 feet! Good luck.
Tnx, the crash was my problem for sure, I was flying T-28 and Albatros just before and they are different birds altogether. The battery was secured, I even use a balsa block behind battery as extra insurance and a velco strap.
Thinking back I probably gave it full throttle and had it on high rate, it just got ahead of my 66 yr old thumbs!
I have done some light reenforcing around wing and landing gear retainers also went to socket head #4 screws a bit longer than in kit for wing and landing gear.
The balsa block behind motor mount was a good addition as I see no damage from landing prop first!
Tim
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:46 AM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2010
1,650 Posts
Quote:
Very Nice! What kind of paint did you use? I wasn't real big on "Peaks" either and considered getting a set of Python stickers but that would have increased the price of this terrific value! So I settled, they are growing on me and I do like the yellow. I only wish Dynam and Nitro would kick us all a little commission since we all "sell" one of these each time someone new sees them fly!
I used Min Wax Polyacrylic,applied with a foam brush the red is a sharpie marker, the graphics are black sharpie marker .and i agree there are four members of my cub with this ship. i was the first to get one ,since i love biplanes. i got the red one first i gave it away to a member of the club . so now there are 3 yellow ones and a red one .
THESANDMAN is offline Find More Posts by THESANDMAN