HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 28, 2012, 11:09 PM
Suspended Account
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Jan 2012
239 Posts
Well, I've been following this thread, but I am thoroughly confused now.

I would like to hear more about the cricut plotter.

What have you guys come up with as the one that will do what it needs to do operated by a dummy.

Something that is plug and play. Mainly to make templetes and cut monocote trim.

and remember, KEEP IT SIMPLE !!! for me.

Frank
countilaw is offline Find More Posts by countilaw
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old May 28, 2012, 11:33 PM
Watts is where its at!
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Oct 2004
1,733 Posts
There was another person earlier in this thread trying to get software for a Ciricut machine. Ciricut themselves have gone after the third parties that allowed software to work with their machines. They have a weird business model where they sell you the shapes you can cut in cartridges, so open software that lets you cut any design didn't make them any money. The user that posted about the $80 Ciricut is using some software that can no longer be purchased! Anyway, everything I have read about those machines indicated that the Silhouette machine has better cut quality. I personally am not interested in pirating software or fighting with a company that doesn't want me using their product. I want my use supported!

The larger machines from US Cutter may be just fine. Coreman has personal experience with them. They are using some software that doesn't seems to be under active development (seems the guy who wrote it passed on). US Cutter sells other software but it is incredibly expensive, more than the cutter itself. I'd like to test one out but that costs $$$. Those machines are basically cheap versions of 'Professional' industrial machines for sign makers on a budget. Some skill will be needed to get them working just right.

I think the Cameo is a nice balance of quality and price with good software support. It has the 'plug and play' factor that you are looking for. The machines are marketed to the scrap booking crowd to cut out paper hearts. I think that covers most user ability levels.
racerxky is offline Find More Posts by racerxky
RCG Plus Member
Old May 29, 2012, 03:32 AM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien_Tech View Post
That's good to know. Just so I understand correctly, you are using SignBlazer to design your artwork, then the cutter has its own driver software as well?
I used SignCut originally and it was ok for doing design work but it was just a 1 year license (I didn't feel it was enough better than the stuff I already used to justify renewing the license) and then I went and used SignBlazer but only to cut existing designs and simple text. For my design work I use Inkscape (free - open source) mostly and some CorelDraw X3 (which I own for my laser cutting). Currently I am using SignBlazer only as the interface to the drivers they provided. I just import the SVG and go
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RA Cores Yak 55 Review
Old May 29, 2012, 08:48 AM
Pile-it
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Nov 2007
1,691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
I used SignCut originally and it was ok for doing design work but it was just a 1 year license (I didn't feel it was enough better than the stuff I already used to justify renewing the license) and then I went and used SignBlazer but only to cut existing designs and simple text. For my design work I use Inkscape (free - open source) mostly and some CorelDraw X3 (which I own for my laser cutting). Currently I am using SignBlazer only as the interface to the drivers they provided. I just import the SVG and go
Ok so the work flow is Corel>SignBlazer>cutter driver?
Alien_Tech is offline Find More Posts by Alien_Tech
RCG Plus Member
Old May 29, 2012, 10:26 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien_Tech View Post
Ok so the work flow is Corel>SignBlazer>cutter driver?
I tend to use Inkscape more but yeah, SVG -> SignBlazer -> Cutter
RCG Plus Member
Old May 29, 2012, 08:56 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,370 Posts
How does Inkscape compare to Corel? My version of Corel Draw is really old and does not export SVG files. I really like it though - I'm almost afraid to upgrade it. (And, certainly too frugal!)
Nergall is offline Find More Posts by Nergall
Old May 30, 2012, 02:39 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nergall View Post
How does Inkscape compare to Corel? My version of Corel Draw is really old and does not export SVG files. I really like it though - I'm almost afraid to upgrade it. (And, certainly too frugal!)
from a polyline standpoint it's very similar and you will find it similar to use. Since it is free, it's worth giving it a look before spending money on the upgrade
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 04, 2012, 09:52 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,370 Posts
Tried out Inkscape on my current project, and it seems to work OK. It's not as nice to use as Corel, but it did at least export the .dxf files in a format that Silhouette Studio liked. Silhouette and Inkscape are all you need. You don't even need the software upgrade.

Meanwhile, I have a new question for anyone on this thread.

What material should I buy to use as an airbrush mask??

There is OraMask 813?? It looks like the right stuff? Anyone know?
Old Jul 05, 2012, 04:17 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,489 Posts
Quote:
Tried out Inkscape on my current project, and it seems to work OK. It's not as nice to use as Corel, but it did at least export the .dxf files in a format that Silhouette Studio liked. Silhouette and Inkscape are all you need. You don't even need the software upgrade.

Meanwhile, I have a new question for anyone on this thread.

What material should I buy to use as an airbrush mask??

There is OraMask 813?? It looks like the right stuff? Anyone know?
Over what material? For EPP I was just using the backing off contact paper pinned in place. Run it through the machine backwards
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 05, 2012, 07:07 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,370 Posts
Various materials:

Car bodies, vacuum formed abs plastic parts, and fiberglass

However, mostly I was worried about whether earlier coats of paint would have trouble with it.
Old Jul 05, 2012, 10:12 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,489 Posts
Quote:
Various materials:

Car bodies, vacuum formed abs plastic parts, and fiberglass

However, mostly I was worried about whether earlier coats of paint would have trouble with it.
This is what I have seen people reference in the airbrush topics. i haven't tried it myself but I would think you could cut it in the vinyl cutter

http://www.michaels.com/All-Purpose-...efault,pd.html
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 05, 2012, 10:21 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,370 Posts
Well, a quick Google reveals a number of unhappy buyers?

http://www.dickblick.com/products/gr...-film/#reviews

Plus, it looks more expensive?

This is the stuff I was considering:

http://www.signwarehouse.com/p-VOR813-2410-STMSKB.html
Old Jul 06, 2012, 03:22 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,489 Posts
Quote:
Well, a quick Google reveals a number of unhappy buyers?

http://www.dickblick.com/products/gr...-film/#reviews

Plus, it looks more expensive?

This is the stuff I was considering:

http://www.signwarehouse.com/p-VOR813-2410-STMSKB.html
Looks like it would work great also
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 06, 2012, 09:08 AM
Joined Jul 2004
65 Posts
Buying a Silhouette cameo

Great post,

After reading this forum I have decided to buy a Cameo. I am going to order from Amazon, are there any recommendations on what I should buy along with the cutter to get going. I have a copy of Inkscape already, run an I-Mac.

My use will be to make stencils for spray painting airplanes with Klass Kote (2 part epoxy) and some acrylics (Auto Air-Color). In the past I have cut out Friskett Film by hand.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

kaptain1
kaptain1 is offline Find More Posts by kaptain1
Old Jul 06, 2012, 09:29 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptain1 View Post
Great post,

After reading this forum I have decided to buy a Cameo. I am going to order from Amazon, are there any recommendations on what I should buy along with the cutter to get going. I have a copy of Inkscape already, run an I-Mac.

My use will be to make stencils for spray painting airplanes with Klass Kote (2 part epoxy) and some acrylics (Auto Air-Color). In the past I have cut out Friskett Film by hand.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

kaptain1
Since we had the question about it, how has the Friskett worked for you?
RCG Plus Member