Old Oct 30, 2010, 03:14 PM
Vini Vidi Vici!
Denver
Joined Jun 2008
46 Posts
Discussion
I need advice on a pusher prop plane

OK, I'm building a trainer type plane, similar to the Hawk Sky

I've never built a pusher like this, so my question is, do I need to add any down or right angle to the motor?

Thanks in advance for any help!
BadassJohnny is offline Find More Posts by BadassJohnny
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2010, 03:23 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadassJohnny View Post
OK, I'm building a trainer type plane, similar to the Hawk Sky

I've never built a pusher like this, so my question is, do I need to add any down or right angle to the motor?

Thanks in advance for any help!
That all depends, unfortunately. Funny things start happening when you start playing with motor sizes and power levels on pushers. Planes like the MultiPlex Easy Star do very well with stock motors and medium power motors by using the built in down thrust that comes stock. There are tons of posts in the Easy Star forum, however, in which lots of owners had to give it left thrust when using powerful combos.

The best bet is to simply make the motor mount so it is adjustable, relative to thrust lines, and then experiment with it to give you the flight characteristics you are after.

Pushers can sometimes be a real pain in the rear to dial in correctly.

Chuck
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 30, 2010, 03:49 PM
Vini Vidi Vici!
Denver
Joined Jun 2008
46 Posts
OK, thanks. My best idea was to just epoxy it in and if it wasnt right to just cut it out and re-epoxy at a new angle.
Do you have suggestions for making an adjustable mount?
Old Oct 30, 2010, 03:57 PM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,271 Posts
What worked well for me, was to assigh two mixers to the throttle channel, that act on the rudder and the elevator. After a little adjusting of the mixing value, my Easy Star now flies straight at any power level.
Julez is online now Find More Posts by Julez
Old Oct 30, 2010, 05:48 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
Joined Oct 2007
20,934 Posts
Thrust angles remain the same no matter where the prop is positioned on the plane, and as long as everything operates in a counter clockwise operation (looking towards the tail).

This does not mean a pusher will be down and to the right, it should be up and to the left with all the rotational directions the same.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Oct 30, 2010, 05:49 PM
Vini Vidi Vici!
Denver
Joined Jun 2008
46 Posts
OK, thanks, but I really dont know what you mean by assigning mixers to the throttle.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 05:53 PM
Vini Vidi Vici!
Denver
Joined Jun 2008
46 Posts
So if I'm using the same prop and motor as I would for a normal "puller" plane, except rigged up as a pusher setup like with the hawk sky, I need a little up and left angle?
Is that correct?