Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 11, 2010, 11:21 PM
Registered User
leave in israel
Joined May 2006
39 Posts
minimoa replace motor

hk minimoa replace motor (3 min 4 sec)
vasp is offline Find More Posts by vasp
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 12, 2010, 06:37 AM
Firepower
Firepower's Avatar
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,106 Posts
Quite a nice neat job but does the new motor still get very hot. I realise it is not as much a problem as the engine mount is better than the original plastic engine mount.
Firepower is online now Find More Posts by Firepower
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2010, 07:49 PM
Registered User
devemaster's Avatar
United States, ME, Bangor
Joined Nov 2010
101 Posts
noob

okay- just finished reading the whole thread. Man but you guys are a terribly thorough and ambitious lot!

First off, thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread. I've learned lots which is good as I knew nearly nothing about this wonderful plane that is coming to me in the mail soon. The Minimoa! She's a beauty and I can't wait to get her up in the sky.

I will be doing all the mods you guys have recommended especially the ventilation and hinge work.

I've never bought a plug and play plane from HK so I don't know what to expect in terms of compatibility with other brands components.

I'm thinking about using a spektrum ar600 receiver and Eflite 2100 mAh 20s batts as these are things I have already.

Are the Minimoa esc plug ends compatible with Eflite EC3? What's the best battery weight/size for balance?

Any other advice for the noob?
devemaster is offline Find More Posts by devemaster
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2010, 10:26 PM
Firepower
Firepower's Avatar
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by devemaster View Post
okay- just finished reading the whole thread. Man but you guys are a terribly thorough and ambitious lot!

First off, thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread. I've learned lots which is good as I knew nearly nothing about this wonderful plane that is coming to me in the mail soon. The Minimoa! She's a beauty and I can't wait to get her up in the sky.

I will be doing all the mods you guys have recommended especially the ventilation and hinge work.

I've never bought a plug and play plane from HK so I don't know what to expect in terms of compatibility with other brands components.

I'm thinking about using a spektrum ar600 receiver and Eflite 2100 mAh 20s batts as these are things I have already.

Are the Minimoa esc plug ends compatible with Eflite EC3? What's the best battery weight/size for balance?

Any other advice for the noob?
Yeh - Sell it and buy a:

http://hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store...idProduct=8359

Just joking I hope - I just bought one and they reckon it is Plug and Play and actually works out of the box. Even when you accelerate it goes level. I'll find out how good it is in a few days.

They are different planes and would not do thermals as good as the Minomoa.

You should have all you need in the reading of the previous posts. I am not sure if you meant 20C or 2S LiPo. If it is a 2S make sure you do not stall it too low or the 2 cell will not get you out of trouble like the 3 cell will.

All the best.
Firepower is online now Find More Posts by Firepower
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2010, 02:08 AM
Ozzie Express wiggy pilot
SON OF PALEFACE's Avatar
YANKALILLA , SOUTH AUSTRALIA.
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
Gday blokes , just putting mine 2gether , got it from the Aussie warehouse , fast service...
I took the motor out and put in one of these... pretty easy just had to re-drill the three mounting bolt holes , oh and file down the front boss a little to fit into the spinner back plate
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=6549
Now with the original prop it pulls a tad over 10amps on 3s...plenty of thrust for this jigger
Also had epoxy back in one of the wing blind nut-plates that was full of rubber glue
and will glue in a maggot instead of the lame metal at the rear canopy latch
Should have it going 2morry arfty

cheers
Ian


PS....................wheres the best CG postition..............and dont say "on the wing"
SON OF PALEFACE is offline Find More Posts by SON OF PALEFACE
Last edited by SON OF PALEFACE; Dec 15, 2010 at 02:19 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2010, 04:39 AM
Firepower
Firepower's Avatar
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SON OF PALEFACE View Post
Gday blokes , just putting mine 2gether , got it from the Aussie warehouse , fast service...
I took the motor out and put in one of these... pretty easy just had to re-drill the three mounting bolt holes , oh and file down the front boss a little to fit into the spinner back plate
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=6549
Now with the original prop it pulls a tad over 10amps on 3s...plenty of thrust for this jigger
Also had epoxy back in one of the wing blind nut-plates that was full of rubber glue
and will glue in a maggot instead of the lame metal at the rear canopy latch
Should have it going 2morry arfty

cheers
Ian


PS....................wheres the best CG postition..............and dont say "on the wing"
It's in the manual. Ha Ha Maybe not seeing you are asking. I always mark on the wings the c of g when I initially set them up so I know exactly all the time in case I change batteries etc.

My marks are 55mm back from the leading edge which is in line with the front spar.

That should be right. I always put it there and need extra weight in the nose even with the 3 cell LiPo.
Firepower is online now Find More Posts by Firepower
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2010, 04:44 AM
Ozzie Express wiggy pilot
SON OF PALEFACE's Avatar
YANKALILLA , SOUTH AUSTRALIA.
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
I did ask for 'best' , incase the manual is out...
thanks for that
SON OF PALEFACE is offline Find More Posts by SON OF PALEFACE
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2010, 05:02 AM
Firepower
Firepower's Avatar
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SON OF PALEFACE View Post
I did ask for 'best' , incase the manual is out...
thanks for that
See if anyone else has experimented and found a better c of g. For slope soaring I understand they put it back further but not sure about that.

Seeing 55mm flies good I suspect there is no need to go further forward but only experiment how far it can be taken back without bad effects.
Firepower is online now Find More Posts by Firepower
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2010, 05:06 AM
Ozzie Express wiggy pilot
SON OF PALEFACE's Avatar
YANKALILLA , SOUTH AUSTRALIA.
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
An earlier post sed 31mm ??????? that is very far forward....

the usual test for correct CG is elevator sensitivity......if it is too touchy , you move it forward till its comfortable....then theres the dive test as well

Ian
SON OF PALEFACE is offline Find More Posts by SON OF PALEFACE
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2010, 06:20 AM
Registered User
devemaster's Avatar
United States, ME, Bangor
Joined Nov 2010
101 Posts
Thanks-

3s 20c is what I meant. I don't mind a plane that needs a lot of work in order to fly. I build from scratch a lot as well as do extensive repairs (read: bad pilot)

I love the shape of the Minimoa as I'm sure you all do too and that's what makes us want to put in the effort.

I also am looking pretty hard at the cloudsky axn floater and will probably end up with one of those or something similar eventually for the FPV project. Damn, I'm totally hooked on this. Oh well, at least I love it.

Shout out to ChuckT thanks for all the internet videos! Glad to see a fellow afficionado out there, someone who loves flying as much as I do! Good on ya!
devemaster is offline Find More Posts by devemaster
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2010, 07:44 PM
Registered User
ChuckTseeker's Avatar
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by devemaster View Post
Shout out to ChuckT thanks for all the internet videos! Glad to see a fellow afficionado out there, someone who loves flying as much as I do! Good on ya!
cheers for that with the holidays just around the corner, my camera girl will be available, so i hope to get some good footage of a lot of my planes/gliders on the new HD Panasonic, it has that good feature that enables you to lock on the focus and keep the object in focus even up high, as in my first Radian Pro Vid, looking forward to some good shots of the minimoa as the reason i bought it too is it's great classic looks

cheers chuck
ChuckTseeker is online now Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2010, 12:12 PM
Registered User
Astrodavid's Avatar
Overland Park, KS
Joined Jul 2008
19 Posts
HELP - wing attachment

I received my Minimoa just a few days ago, and have been quietly making the various mods as suggested on this extremely helpful forum. (THANKS!!)

Although I have been flying and building RC models for many years, I have been unable to determine how to properly attach the wings so that they are really secure on the fuselage.

It appears that after inserting the V-spar, the wings are slid together and then the red plastic retainer plate is pressed onto the wings. As far as I can see there are then just two nylon bolts that go through the red plate and through the foam wings...but they do NOT attach to anything I can see on the airplane.!! As a result, only the magnetic canopy (sort of) holds the wings on. Is this correct? This seems very weak to me. (perhaps I am missing a part?)

Can someone kindly explain how the wings are correctly secured to the fuselage?

Many many thanks!

Dave - Chilly Kansas City, USA
Astrodavid is offline Find More Posts by Astrodavid
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2010, 01:17 PM
Registered User
hobie14's Avatar
Western Europe 52.7 N 8.9 W
Joined Jul 2007
2,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrodavid View Post
I received my Minimoa just a few days ago, and have been quietly making the various mods as suggested on this extremely helpful forum. (THANKS!!)

Although I have been flying and building RC models for many years, I have been unable to determine how to properly attach the wings so that they are really secure on the fuselage.

It appears that after inserting the V-spar, the wings are slid together and then the red plastic retainer plate is pressed onto the wings. As far as I can see there are then just two nylon bolts that go through the red plate and through the foam wings...but they do NOT attach to anything I can see on the airplane.!! As a result, only the magnetic canopy (sort of) holds the wings on. Is this correct? This seems very weak to me. (perhaps I am missing a part?)

Can someone kindly explain how the wings are correctly secured to the fuselage?

Many many thanks!

Dave - Chilly Kansas City, USA
There are two threaded nuts that are located on the inside of the fuse ..... if they are not in place do not fly!!!!!! ..... if you push the two bolts into postion too strongly you can end up pushing the nuts and their plastic containers away from the fuse and thus fail to engage with the bolts ...... if this is the case you may find the nuts/containers stuck somewhere randomely inside the fuse (they are bonded into postion with a rather gooey glue that would make them stick just about anywhere once they come loose) ..... have a carefull look ..... they may need re-bonding into postion ....
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2010, 02:04 PM
Ozzie Express wiggy pilot
SON OF PALEFACE's Avatar
YANKALILLA , SOUTH AUSTRALIA.
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
I found the nylon bolts too short , I like to grind a point on my wing bolts to make em easier to find the hole and this was more than enough to make them WAY to short....either find some longer ones (good luck) or find some metal ones...good luck with that also
Also beware of glue-in-the-hole with any of these chinese planes
Ian

Incase you didnt read the 50 pages ...do NOT fly this with the prop/motor it comes with , the che-nees have (stuffed if I know why) put a little motor suited to an 8 X 4 , either use this size prop ...or change the motor ...I did... to a bell motor 860kv or max 1000kv...the speedy will handle about 15amps without cooking , but extra ventilation is always a good idea

Cheers
SON OF PALEFACE is offline Find More Posts by SON OF PALEFACE
Last edited by SON OF PALEFACE; Dec 26, 2010 at 02:22 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2010, 03:22 PM
Registered User
Astrodavid's Avatar
Overland Park, KS
Joined Jul 2008
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobie14 View Post
There are two threaded nuts that are located on the inside of the fuse ..... if they are not in place do not fly!!!!!! ..... if you push the two bolts into postion too strongly you can end up pushing the nuts and their plastic containers away from the fuse and thus fail to engage with the bolts ...... if this is the case you may find the nuts/containers stuck somewhere randomely inside the fuse (they are bonded into postion with a rather gooey glue that would make them stick just about anywhere once they come loose) ..... have a carefull look ..... they may need re-bonding into postion ....
Hobie 14,

Thank you for the critical information about the wing retaining nuts inside the fuselage. These nuts were totally invisible on my airplane, entirely covered with foam! I had to dig the foam out in order to find them. But everything is clear now, and the wings secure.

Best regards and many thanks again - Dave -Kansas City
Astrodavid is offline Find More Posts by Astrodavid
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion A330 70mm fans 2metre span Glong-flyer Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 4 Dec 20, 2010 10:43 PM
Discussion Hobbyking PnP 33 in wingspan F4U Corsair Lilbanks96 Electric Warbirds 10 Dec 12, 2010 01:10 PM
New Product 3.9m WINGSPAN COMPOSITE UAV AIRPLANE READY FOR SALE FPVistanbul UAV - Unmanned Aerial Vehicles 20 Dec 04, 2010 08:58 PM
Wanted 2metre sailplane with everything KeithP Aircraft - Sailplanes (FS/W) 11 Mar 01, 2008 04:58 PM
Discussion Cyclone Elite 10 2metre Electric Glider Pants Electric Sailplanes 4 Feb 27, 2006 07:45 AM