Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:39 PM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stunt Double View Post
This goes against one of the fpv rules someone wrote at the beginning of the hobby, probably written by the same bloke who said you cant fly behind a patch antenna. Works fine no matter which way it faces.
Yes, but the facts as I understand them of the inverted vee, is that it produces a stronger signal at the 120 side of the antenna, than at the 240 side. I face mine "forwards" so I get a better signal coming home, than going away. In my practical experience, that's how it works. Just wondering if Kahnx either doesn't know this, or has some other, better information.

Sub.
subsonic is online now Find More Posts by subsonic
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:57 PM
addicted rc'er
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Dec 2009
865 Posts
Hey guys, in the process of putting the Bixler2 back together, UHF rx aerial is there a specific way of mounting or just leave it vertical I- or can it be T
acky is online now Find More Posts by acky
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:38 PM
Registered DSer
Australia, VIC, Hadfield
Joined Mar 2003
2,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsonic View Post
Yes, but the facts as I understand them of the inverted vee, is that it produces a stronger signal at the 120 side of the antenna, than at the 240 side. I face mine "forwards" so I get a better signal coming home, than going away. In my practical experience, that's how it works. Just wondering if Kahnx either doesn't know this, or has some other, better information.

Sub.
Yep, Sub, my V is facing the 'incorrect' direction for the reasons you stated. But because I never fly out of my spotter's LOS, it doesn't seem to make a difference. Sorry, I dont have any better information than yours, and I have not yet 'graduated' to those funny lookin' spirally things that everyone's raving about.

Roger.

and nup, they're not all Skyfuns ..... yet .... after seeing how good they are as an FPV package (lots of room for equipment, easy to fly slow/smooth, cheap, fast if you build them right, easy to launch without major pucker...) it wont be long before we have a 'fleet' ..... or should that be a 'squadron'
Kahnx is online now Find More Posts by Kahnx
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:43 PM
Beyond the BlackStump
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Mar 2006
317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acky View Post
Hey guys, in the process of putting the Bixler2 back together, UHF rx aerial is there a specific way of mounting or just leave it vertical I- or can it be T
I wouldn't do a T as straight out of either end of the antenna is a blind spot which means at distance you would likely lose reception if either end of the T was pointing at you. Really needs to be vertical.
Macattaka is online now Find More Posts by Macattaka
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:58 AM
Keepin it real....
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Oct 2005
2,038 Posts
Quote:

Sub.
I run a V facing backwards lying horizontal
But its only a little plane that rarely goes more than a km away, I understand the "theory" but im not chasing distance either.... So, I run Circ Polarization on my Ground station and it seems to have really good video with either a Mono or V on the Tx even when rolling etc.

Saves running a big Cloverleaf on a little plane too.

Chris.
NutBag is offline Find More Posts by NutBag
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:29 AM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,060 Posts
If you're running a CP antenna on the ground anyway, and you're happy with the db loss by having the mismatched Linear / CP system, it woundn't matter if your vee was upright or horizontal

Sub
subsonic is online now Find More Posts by subsonic
Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:43 AM
Joined Dec 2008
3,315 Posts
Half you signal strengh will be gone ....
cody069 is online now Find More Posts by cody069
Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:47 AM
Australia, NSW, Randwick
Joined Aug 2004
137 Posts
Mongrel = Great Service

Just want to thank Mongrel for the very fast shipment of the Helical Antenna, he even used Platinum Express Post to send it to me! Dont forget to check his store from time to time for new stocks.

Cheers,

Vince
sutan is offline Find More Posts by sutan
Old Oct 10, 2012, 02:56 AM
addicted rc'er
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Dec 2009
865 Posts
Thanks p-plater, just wondering if there was a neater way to mount it, I've come up with a different spotso I don't have to put another hole in the wing.
By the way the new parts and the rvosd are in Melbourne!
acky is online now Find More Posts by acky
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:01 AM
Beyond the BlackStump
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Mar 2006
317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acky View Post
By the way the new parts and the rvosd are in Melbourne!
Lucky you...my RVOSD has just died. Ran perfectly for two flights Tuesday night then powered up for a flight next day and it's stuck on some base screen and won't work. Looks like the graphics board is toast. All this light after work now too, this hobby takes a lot of patience.

On a positive note, I learnt how to flash the firmware and the latest beta version has a really cool AHI
Macattaka is online now Find More Posts by Macattaka
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:11 AM
Australia, SA, Munno Para
Joined Feb 2012
117 Posts
FPV Noobie

G'day all,

New FPV enthusiast here and I'm about ready to test my home assembled system that I spent most of the winter building.

I've bought the FPV Raptor (2m version) and fitted it out with Spektrum metal gear digital servos. I also made a few modifications to the plane such as 2.56 control rods for the elevator, rudder, aileron and flaps. I installed a Dualsky 40A ESC and E-Flite Park 400 (EFLM1305) motor.

I am currently flying with Futaba 10CG and R6208SB 8ch Rx (S.Bus), with a 2500mAh 3S LiPo.

I have the following components for the FPV and autopilot (all 5.8GHz):

ImmersionRC 600mW 5.8 Tx
ImmersionRC Clover Leaf 5.8 Antenna
SecurityCamera2000 Sony 600TVL Camera
FY31-AP and Hornet OSD with GPS
Zippy 5800mAh 3S battery (x2 for multiple flights)
Dualsky 1300mAh 3S battery for Rx, lighting and AP/OSD
BevRC Pan/Tilt camera mount with 180* metal gear servos

I have built my own ground station that includes the following:

Fatshark Dominator Gen3 Goggles with head tracking module
ImmersionRC Duo5800 5.8 Diversity Rx
Circular-Wireless 5.8 Helical Antenna
ImmersionRC Skew Planar 5.8 Antenna
BevRC DVR with 16Gb 10C SD card
BevRC 8" HD Monitor
Zippy 8000mAh 3S battery
Volt meter
3A UBEC for the DVR
Home made pole (25x25mm Aluminium Tube).

As you will see I have taken to time to buy what I consider the best components from places my research has show to be reputable.

Here are two videos that explain the setup and some details I have discovered:

FPV Raptor - Build Overview (15 min 0 sec)

Sorry this one is 15 minutes long, but it didn't seem that long at the time

FPV Setup First Live Trial 29 September 2012 (3 min 36 sec)

I am after advice from anyone with experience doing FPV with the Raptor. Currently with the two batteries and all the AP etc the plane weighs about 1.9kg, is this going to be problematic to launch?

Sorry if I've hijacked the thread, but I have zero FPV experience and would like some guidance. Finally, I'm in Adelaide SA so if there's any FPV groups meeting I'd like to see if I can attend at some stage?

Thank you,

Hallmark
Hallmark is offline Find More Posts by Hallmark
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:50 AM
Keepin it real....
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Oct 2005
2,038 Posts
Quote:
If you're running a CP antenna on the ground anyway, and you're happy with the db loss by having the mismatched Linear / CP system, it woundn't matter if your vee was upright or horizontal

Sub
Yep.. my point exactly. Just like the original question here I also wasn't worried as I dont fly my little rig far away. Half the range is still 3x further than I need and the convenience of a basic antenna with no fuzzies during rolling won out
My longer range planes on the other hand I do everything I can for best performance.

Hey Hallmark,

Your rig will be a dream to launch, Most full house skywalkers are over 2kg and upto 3kg.
Half to 3/4 power and Get into it!
NutBag is offline Find More Posts by NutBag
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by NutBag; Oct 10, 2012 at 06:57 AM.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:30 AM
Joined May 2009
783 Posts
Hi ....Hallmark ...welcome aboard the fpv train.
Looks like you have been doing your homework on all your fpv gear.
There are few up this way already doing fpv.
....Pete
Aussie Pete is online now Find More Posts by Aussie Pete
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:59 AM
Australia, SA, Munno Para
Joined Feb 2012
117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Pete View Post
Hi ....Hallmark ...welcome aboard the fpv train.
Looks like you have been doing your homework on all your fpv gear.
There are few up this way already doing fpv.
....Pete

Thanks Pete, I've been reading this forum for a few weeks now and catching up on all the information I can.

Yes I am very much a research and learn as much as possible before committing finances. That said I am well invested by now lol ...

You mention, "There are a few up this way already doing fpv." I assume you mean in SA and if so please let me know anyone I can get in touch with - preferably 5.8 users - who you feel might be interested in assisting in a final check and maiden.

I think I am going to settle right in here as the other forum I have been involved in has sort of died in the rear end.

Anyway back to page 886 to see if Mongrel got into Miranda Kerr and if his missus ever saw the post...
Hallmark is offline Find More Posts by Hallmark
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:58 PM
Australia, QLD
Joined May 2011
695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hallmark View Post

anyway back to page 886 to see if mongrel got into miranda kerr and if his missus ever saw the post...
lol.
Gimmer is online now Find More Posts by Gimmer