HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 15, 2012, 05:06 PM
Coral Springs, FL
Joined Mar 2010
409 Posts
[QUOTE=crxmanpat;23007860]
What did you use for a power system?/QUOTE]

It's listed in the description on the video .......

The plane has a wingspan of 540 mm and a total flying weight of 115 grams.

The setup of this plane is:

1x AX 1304N 2100kv Brushless Micro Motor (7g)
1xTURNIGY Plush 6A /.8bec/6g Speed Controller
2xHobby King S0361 3.6g / .45kg / .12sec Micro Servo
1xGWS EP Propeller (RD-6050) (cut down to 5")
1xSpektrum AR 6110e DSM2 Reciever
1xHyperion G3 CX - 2S 450mAh (25C)
gatorlynch is offline Find More Posts by gatorlynch
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2012, 06:41 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,214 Posts
Ah, OK. I only looked at the embedded vid, I did not go to the actual YouTube page. Thanks!

PS, I'm planning to be at the game in Tallahassee on Nov 24th.

Pat
crxmanpat is online now Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:27 PM
Coral Springs, FL
Joined Mar 2010
409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
PS, I'm planning to be at the game in Tallahassee on Nov 24th.
Should be another good one. My twin & his clan will be going.

Me, I'll see 'em in the Swamp next year (30 year season ticket holder) - I don't go to games where they let livestock graze on their field ........

Actually, the deal with the wife for Thanksgiving is we spend every other year with her family. That allows me to be in G'ville for the home games.

One thing we can both agree on - the scUM needs to loose this weekend!
gatorlynch is offline Find More Posts by gatorlynch
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:54 AM
New in the game
Nederland, ZH, Capelle aan den IJssel
Joined Feb 2011
126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
Nice flying! You got really low to the floor there on some of those passes.
Thanx.. crxmanpat,

This is my first "indoor" plane so i was verry exited to fly it in such a small place.. (but i did not do so bad i guess.. )

I also think it will be boring to fly it after a while, but for now it putt's a big smile on my face..
Remko is offline Find More Posts by Remko
Old Oct 21, 2012, 08:50 PM
NY Freedom Fighter
Joined Feb 2007
1,502 Posts
Another Tomhe F-22 is born. This is the second one I've built. The first one was quickly converted back to fan fold foam while traveling at WOT nose face into frozen ground last winter. I have been missing this plane so I built another. Thanks Tohme, for such a great flying F-22.
BatterysIncluded is offline Find More Posts by BatterysIncluded
Old Oct 23, 2012, 07:43 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
Have never built this model but I have built his F-16 and Su-37. My favorite was RC Powers original F-22 that I had bought the plans for back in 08 but for the life of me I can't find the file I had saved or the email. I just liked the somewhat full fuse look that was also fast to build. I'm doing a 70mm EDF conversion. Profile planes probably aren't the best for this but I wanted a tested airframe that would be easy to build and so I settled on this one. I'll be using the detrum 70mm combo from hobbypartz for this build. Due to the light weight of this plane, i'll probably start out on 3s and see how it flies. I know its rated at 42 oz of thrust with 4s , so that will be a bit overkill on a less than 20 oz airframe. Gonna try to do as few modifications as I can get away with to get the fan in there. I will most likely be doing a double stacked wing with spacers between the 2, and doing a cut out on the bottom wing to get the 70mm in there. Think that will look better than fattening up the bottom of the plane a good inch or so. This is gonna be my first scratch built edf which is also another reason I wanted a somewhat easy build in case I do everything wrong. I have another plane that would probably allow the 70mm to just drop right in , but I've put a lot of time into that plane (full fuse pak fa), and not sure I wanna risk it at this point. If anyone has done this conversion feel free to chime in. Not gonna post build pictures per-se, but I will post the modifications I do to fit the 70mm. I probably would be better off with like a 55mm or 64mm fan in a plane this size but I already had the 70mm ordered so I'm going with it.

Edit: Well plane is starting to take shape. Got the wing together and spar glued in. Now trying to decide on the best way to mount the edf. Having second thoughts on my double wing idea. May end up fattening out the bottom, not sure yet.
stingeragents is offline Find More Posts by stingeragents
Last edited by stingeragents; Oct 23, 2012 at 08:42 AM.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:41 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
Well got it to stick in just right. Where i mounted the fan i wont be able to incorporate a thrust tube unless i move the spar and hack away the middle of the plane all way to back. Ill also will lose a bit of intake by gluing on front of my top wing unless i do it a certain way that will add some non scale top intakes so idk. I got fan glued in so i may test fly without the top wing and go from there. Just about done. One of my bullet connectors came unsoldered so gotta fix that and then test flight time. I feel like malcolm on jurassic park. "so now im sitting here by myself talking to myself"
Last edited by stingeragents; Oct 23, 2012 at 01:11 PM.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 04:23 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
Flight report. No power on 3s. Couldnt keep it up. I have a 4s but dont think that will improve much. Right now im leaning towards moving the spar and putting in thrust tube. Then gonna redesign intake
Old Oct 23, 2012, 05:58 PM
Crash Test Pilot
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Jul 2012
380 Posts
Wow, would have thought a 70mm edf would be able to propel this super light airframe. I'm generally not a fan if edf as they just don't seem to compare to a prop for "overall" performance. You can fly the elevons off this plane with a 2200kv motor and 6x4 prop. Post up some pics...
Levictus is offline Find More Posts by Levictus
Old Oct 23, 2012, 07:10 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
K. Will do. It looks just like the prop version but with an edf in its place. Ive always liked edf planes but have never been great at flying them. Ive built so many pusher jets that i wanted to get into scratch edf for a change
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:28 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
I was also surprised the 70mm didnt fly it even just being slapped in there. I have figured out the thrust tube and how to clean up the intake. Ill post pics tomorrow after i fix it. Guess i have learned something at least. Believe it would have been easier to just do a full fuse after all the modifications im having to do. Almost decided just to put a prop on it but ive hacked up the airframe so much. I absolutely hate cutting out all those tabs. That'sthe most painful process of this build. I do like the plane though so if my modifications dont work ill probably just fix the cuts i made and prop it.
Last edited by stingeragents; Oct 23, 2012 at 10:58 PM.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 03:11 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
As requested. And yes it aint real pretty but much better than no tube at all
Old Oct 24, 2012, 03:36 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
Just did a runup.on 3s.up to half throttle and i can tell a noteable difference in the air out the back.
Edit. got everything strapped in and did new test. At just over 3/4 throttle it will lift out of my hand. So i got over 1 to 1 thrust now on 3s and this motor is good up to 5s.
Edit 2. 4s test. Lifts out of my hand at just under 1/2 throttle
Last edited by stingeragents; Oct 24, 2012 at 04:04 PM.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 05:17 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,214 Posts
Thrust tubes make a world of difference! Fans are very inefficient without proper ducting.

Pat
crxmanpat is online now Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Oct 24, 2012, 05:46 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
Yea. Think i got the exit figured out. Intake is a bit harder on profile planes. Anyways flight report on 4s. First toss it was super twitchy. Ended up hovering across the field a ways so i landed. My elevons were in the exhaust duct. I tore part of them off and relaunched. Flew beautifully. Only had a 1000mah batt in so i kept the flight real short. Speed was good. Id say at least as fast as a stock jpower 50mm at full throttle. Somewhere around 70 maybe. Didnt test vertical. It will slow to a crawl though. Auw with a 3s 2200 was 22.5oz. Didnt weigh with the 4s i flew. Basically have to force land it as it was flying no problem with like 1/8 throttle. Gonna try and lighten it up some. I used a fair amount of hot glue which probably hurt in the weight department. Cant fix that now. Need to do some sanding
Last edited by stingeragents; Oct 24, 2012 at 06:19 PM.