HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 06, 2006, 10:01 PM
ORGAN MOUNTAIN AIR FORCE
Organ, New Mexico
Joined Sep 2002
1,253 Posts
Discussion
Sig Kadet Sr. for AP

A while back in the Telemaster thread, I mentioned my work-in-progress Kadet Sr. Here are a few photos. Mr. Jim Walker did the build.

The motor is an AXI 4120/18 on 7S Polyquest 4000 Lipos. You can see the controller and ultimate BEC on the motor mount. I'm trying some different props which produce power to the motor in the 700 to 1,000 watt range according to motocalc. I get readings higher than the motocalc values using a Whattmeter.

Note the custom air scoop behind the nose strut. The fuse holder on the side is in one leg of the ESC. I put a "no-blow" piece of 1/4 inch copper tubing in the holder to arm the motor. This makes getting to the battery leads in the scoop much safer (Thanks to Mr. Walker).

The rudder and elevator servos are in the tail, which leaves a LOT of room in the fuselage under the wings. The maiden flight was nice and uneventful...the way I like 'em.

Rich
rloose is offline Find More Posts by rloose
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2006, 10:16 PM
ORGAN MOUNTAIN AIR FORCE
Organ, New Mexico
Joined Sep 2002
1,253 Posts
More Kadet Photos

Here's some exterior shots.

Rich
Old Jan 07, 2006, 02:06 AM
Pull out early!
Lexington, KY
Joined Jan 2005
1,956 Posts
Congrats! Just the build I've been thinking about....

Couple of questions - AUW with and w/o gear? How's it fly on what prop? How long for ROG? Thrust angle?

Looks great - the picture in towerhobbies shows more dihedral and 3 channel?

Sorry about the barrage of questions, I've just been thinking about this one on that motor. I don't know about 7p, but why not?

Dave
DiveBombDave is offline Find More Posts by DiveBombDave
Old Jan 07, 2006, 07:51 AM
USA, TX, Lancaster
Joined Nov 2004
1,365 Posts
Sig Kadet Sr. For AP

Rich,

Congratulations on the Kadet Sr! I would be interested in seeing a flight video, if possible, as we also have a Sr. that we have considered using for AP. We purchased ours at a swap meet awhile back already built and covered in the original Kadet color scheme from the '70's (see photo). It came with an O.S. .40 FP, which I would like to convert to electric. We have flown the bird as is since purchasing it and the O.S. has plenty of power to do the job. My concern is getting away from the vibration and oil spray of a glow engine before trying AP with it.

It is extremely stable and a joy to fly. About the only drawback for AP work (other than transporting) would be operating from small, sometimes remote and confined areas, which are sometimes required to get the shots you are looking for. Installing ailerons and flaps would probably be of help.
Good luck with your Sr. and we hope to see more of it here soon!

Larry

[IMG]Doug And Kadet Sr..jpg[/IMG]
txflyboys2 is offline Find More Posts by txflyboys2
Old Jan 07, 2006, 10:18 AM
ORGAN MOUNTAIN AIR FORCE
Organ, New Mexico
Joined Sep 2002
1,253 Posts
Questions

Dave and Larry-

Thanks for the feedback. I'll take a first cut at your questions. The AUW is 8.2 lbs or 131 oz. Web sites and the manual advertise 6.5 lbs. This one was built as light as possible except for stronger landing gear. There is a Dubro fiberglass main and a Robart front strut. The motor weighs 11 oz and the battery pack weighs about 22 oz...so I don't know how Sig figures this plane could ever weigh only 6.5 lbs unless it was set up as a glider! This is my second Sig SR. The first one was set up with a Jeti 45/3 and 14 NiCds and weighed 130 oz with the stock landing gear...not sturdy enough for rough fields and my landing skills!

First flight on the new plane was with a 13x8.5 prop. A Whattmeter showed 49 amps and 1100 watts. The motor and batteries were warm to the touch after 3 flights. I would like it to be a little slower for AP so am considering something like a 15x4 or 14x6 to slow it down and reduce the amp draw.

On a Whattmeter the 15x4 showed 44 amps and 960 watts at full throttle. A tach showed 9200 rpm. At half throttle it was 700 watts at 28 amps and 7600 rpm. Motocalc shows this prop at 9200 rpm would be flying at 35 mph. Stall speed is 20 to 22 mph.

I'll see if I can get a video put together this weekend or next weekend.

By the way, both my Sr. Kadets came out of the box set up for ailerons. Dont' ask what happened to the first one But it did involve a flying field that seems to be haunted or cursed. Many planes there have just decided to start doing things on their own. There are some nearby college dorms and I wonder if some jerk may have a scanner and a programmable transmitter. That could make for some fun! There is also some government contract microwave work going on nearby. Anyway, not many folks fly there anymore.

Rich
Old Jan 07, 2006, 10:52 AM
USA, TX, Lancaster
Joined Nov 2004
1,365 Posts
Sig Kadet Sr. for AP

Rich,

Yeah, years ago, I also flew at a club field that was situated across the highway from a known government test site................LOTS of freq. goblins there, too. We recently purchased a Sombra Shadow 3 Rx, which is easily programmable (no crystal required) to your existing Tx. A small programmer module plugs into the Rx board and allows you to dial in your selected freq. It is claimed to have a full operating range of any of today's FM receivers and even more discriminating for your Tx's signal. I am looking forward to testing ours, as all of the reports I have received have been favorable.

Larry
txflyboys2 is offline Find More Posts by txflyboys2
Old Jan 07, 2006, 02:48 PM
Pull out early!
Lexington, KY
Joined Jan 2005
1,956 Posts
Thanks for the info... I'm scoping out planes that can haul up 3lbs or better for my dSLR project. You realize with the 15" prop you can haul 1.4lbs and still have 100watts/lb? Aerobatic videos from a Kadet Sr.....

The packs I have now are tp2100 3s genII's, and have done me really well so far. I have 4, so that makes a 6s2p that'll do 50amps with no probs, but I haven't motocalc'ed the 6s and the 4120 to find the prop and the wind.

And short fields are all I have here in the mountains - so I was thinking about crow (flaps and ailerons). But, I'm still in the "think about it alot" phase. Good luck with yours!

Dave
DiveBombDave is offline Find More Posts by DiveBombDave