SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 26, 2012, 09:51 PM
Colorado
Joined May 2003
755 Posts
Discussion
1/4 Scale Airplane motor suggestions needed

I was hoping someone with hands on experience with large out runner motors can suggest which motor I can use on my new 1/4-Scale WWII Kayaba Auto Gyro. I have a build thread here on RC Groups in case youíre interested in seeing what Iím up to.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1518956

About five years ago I purchased this 63mm out runner motor from Hobby King seen in the first photo. I canít remember any of the specs on it but I think it was rated for a 6 or 7 cell LiPo pack but I canít be sure. Even though I designed the model around it I donít wish to use it any more since if something happens to it I will have a hard time finding the exact replacement. I also donít like the fact that the prop shaft is 12mm in diameter. I would prefer a 10mm shaft.

So what I am looking for is a 53mm to 63mm out runner motor that mounts from the rear and has a 10mm prop shaft. The aircraft is going to weigh around 15 pounds and maybe fly at around 45 mph top speed. I would like it to run on a single 6 or 7 cell battery and swing a 22Ē to 24Ē low pitch prop. I have a 90Amp 10 cell ESC so it would be nice to pull less then this amount when wide open. Just think of a big Piper Cub type of plane with lots of drag flying around, no 3D flying, heck I wonít even be a be able to do a loop or roll but it will have an almost ten foot 3-bladed rotor spinning away providing lift, which in itself is going to be cool to see.

I donít want to spend more then a hundred bucks and it would be nice if I can purchase it here in the US but I can go over seas if necessary. The wood mount shown in the photo is just tapped in place so I will design a new one for the new motor.

So if you have personal experience with a motor that you have used and you think it falls into what I need please let me know since I need to purchase a new motor ASAP.

Thanks.

John Boren
John Boren is offline Find More Posts by John Boren
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2012, 07:00 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,751 Posts
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
This one might be made to work. I have a very similar one in an 18 lb Christen Eagle that works very well. This is also available in the US warehouse.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Feb 27, 2012, 08:09 AM
Antony (France)
Joined Sep 2003
2,956 Posts
Hi
Check the shaft maybe, but check first the prop adapter diameter if you use the end bell prop adapter.

Dualsky XM6360DA + mount is presenting a true 8mm shaft for prop
Louis
Fourdan is online now Find More Posts by Fourdan
Old Feb 29, 2012, 03:38 PM
Colorado
Joined May 2003
755 Posts
I was hoping for more replies but thant you for those who did.

I ended up trading someone for a RimFire 1.60 motor.

John Boren
John Boren is offline Find More Posts by John Boren