HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 03, 2014, 11:18 AM
KNS
Switzerland, SO, Olten
Joined Dec 2012
353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMatthews View Post
The scrolling was well worth the time. Not only is Mara an absolutely beautiful design that was expertly crafted the rest of the models were well worth the wear and tear on my scrolling finger....

I have to admit to a lot of interest in how the leading edge was sheeted. And then I saw THIS ! ! ! ! ! !

All I can say is...... *GULP ! ! ! ! !*
Anyone willing to tell me how to design such a bird ? Would love to know more!
KNS is offline Find More Posts by KNS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Latest concluded projects
to remove ads between posts
Old May 08, 2014, 12:18 AM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,354 Posts
The technique used on Mara is single pieces fitted with much care between each rib and spar. The pieces are left slightly proud and the whole thing sanded down to achieve the very much compound curvature.

This same method is/was used on some small rubber or powered free flight scale models where individual pieces are fitted in between fuselage formers and the stringers then all of it sanded down to achieve a fairly strong and great looking shape.

But if the builder isn't fastidious at fitting the pieces to a high standard the gaps and tapering voids look like hell.

If I were to have a go at a Mara like model I'd opt for a different method. It would still be a lot of work but no where near as prone to tearing out one's hair as the "bitsa" approach that is used on Mara. My take would be to "plank" the wing sheeting using strips of 1/16 or 3/32 sheet by 1/8 wide. Each piece would be laid up against the laminated shaped spar similarly to building up a planked fuselage in the "old timer" style of doing this job. Or another similar job is strip planking a canoe or small row boat.

Another option would be to carefully shape a solid wing shape using whatever method to a high degree of accuracy then use it as a form to mold fiberglass or carbon sheeting "skins" and lay those over top of the ribs and stringer wing.

ALL of these methods will work. But NONE of them are a small investment in time. A Mara clone or Mara like model is always going to be a true labour of love that demands a dedicated soul willing to invest a serious amount of time.

And equally as true is that every clone of Mara will make the skies that much more beautiful to behold.
BMatthews is online now Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old May 08, 2014, 06:47 AM
KNS
Switzerland, SO, Olten
Joined Dec 2012
353 Posts
Thanks a lot for the explanation, Bruce!
Would you - or anyone else - know if/where there are plans for this or for similar designs available available? I'ld even be willing to spend some money on usable drawings for an appealing design such as this one. I did find the one for curvy designs such as the "bunte Huhn" on the VTH websites (http://shop.vth.de/bauplane-frasteil...unte-huhn.html, more pictures at http://www.modelbouwforum.nl/forums/...gina-27-a.html and http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showt...Das-Bunte-Huhn) but this one is a very curvy plank design, not a curvy "sickle" (do you call it that way?) like the Mara. The "Bunte Huhn" is a model from 1997, so this discussion fits nicely in this thread..
KNS is offline Find More Posts by KNS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Latest concluded projects
Old May 08, 2014, 09:13 AM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,290 Posts
http://hangflygning.se/?gtlang=en
Maybe an email ?Let us know if you have any luck.
Das Bunte Huhn is a beauty!
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
Old Sep 02, 2014, 04:44 AM
F1B is ok.
Monheim am Rhein Germany
Joined Jul 2008
482 Posts
Three other findings.

Heinz
hastf1b is offline Find More Posts by hastf1b