HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 19, 2011, 09:06 PM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
Discussion
Your Thoughts on Cheap

I'm teaching a buddy of mine to fly. He is doing well with the PZ T-28. What do you guys recommend for a CHEAP Tailwheel trainer that runs on 3s 2200's.
He's got his eye on a FMS Corsair but we want a cheap warbird taildragger to beat up first.
Obviously used would be the way to go but if we have to buy new what would you choose?
Thanks, Walter
TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2011, 09:22 PM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,318 Posts
Only Corsair I have flown so far is the PZ. Cheapest taildragger trainer would be to do Frizz's mod and turn the T-28 into a taildragger.
V2rider is online now Find More Posts by V2rider
Old Jul 19, 2011, 09:27 PM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
Good Thought but I think he's looking to buy something. TW
Old Jul 19, 2011, 09:47 PM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleW View Post
Good Thought but I think he's looking to buy something. TW
Ok, new planes are always a good thing. Since the price drop take a look at the E-Flite PT-19. Nice flying, well built tail dragger trainer. It sort of gets me that I paid the full $169 for mine and I've seen them as low as $69 for the ARF. Damn, I was just trying to do a price check on HH site and can't find it listed. Looks like another one discontinued. Probably still be able to find them on ebay for a while.
EDIT: Man I feel out of it. When did they discontinue the PT-19? Everybody is sold out, and the guy that parts them out on ebay wants more fore a fuse than they were selling the kit. Looks like I'm going to have a hangar full of collector items if E-Flite and H9 keep it up.
V2rider is online now Find More Posts by V2rider
Last edited by V2rider; Jul 19, 2011 at 10:08 PM. Reason: EDIT
Old Jul 19, 2011, 10:14 PM
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
5,480 Posts
Get one of the FMS ARF's that are $149 right now and use the "pricepickle" coupon code to take off an additional $9. P-40 and Spit and decent deal on the jug too. All pretty easy to fly. THis of course if he wants the bigger ones. Oh wait you said 3S right??? PZ P-47 perhaps?

REgards,
Alan
GiusedtoBe is offline Find More Posts by GiusedtoBe
Old Jul 19, 2011, 10:15 PM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
Those nitro birds are 2s right? I was looking at those. Do they fly well? TW

I thought I read they were under powered.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 10:17 PM
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
5,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleW View Post
Those nitro birds are 2s right? I was looking at those. Do they fly well? TW
1400 mm one was what I was referring to and they are all 4S. Good stable easy fliers IMO but all can do with some tweaks.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 10:18 PM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
That's the one he wants. But I was thinking we should beat up some else first. TW
Old Jul 19, 2011, 10:21 PM
Shut up and fly
United States, CO, Firestone
Joined Jun 2008
10,441 Posts
nitroplanes does have the art-tec warbirds there easy to fly and get spare parts. also runs on 3s 2200. lots of threads on here about them.
papabatman is offline Find More Posts by papabatman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: fun with a parkzone
Old Jul 19, 2011, 10:26 PM
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
5,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by papabatman View Post
nitroplanes does have the art-tec warbirds there easy to fly and get spare parts. also runs on 3s 2200. lots of threads on here about them.
Same ones can be had from HK USA for cheaper. $89 I believe.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 10:52 PM
Shut up and fly
United States, CO, Firestone
Joined Jun 2008
10,441 Posts
that's true. i just didn't know how long he wanted to wait for his plane. a great little flyer
papabatman is offline Find More Posts by papabatman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: fun with a parkzone
Old Jul 19, 2011, 10:59 PM
United States, GA, Grayson
Joined Mar 2008
507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by V2rider View Post
Ok, new planes are always a good thing. Since the price drop take a look at the E-Flite PT-19. Nice flying, well built tail dragger trainer. It sort of gets me that I paid the full $169 for mine and I've seen them as low as $69 for the ARF. Damn, I was just trying to do a price check on HH site and can't find it listed. Looks like another one discontinued. Probably still be able to find them on ebay for a while.
EDIT: Man I feel out of it. When did they discontinue the PT-19? Everybody is sold out, and the guy that parts them out on ebay wants more fore a fuse than they were selling the kit. Looks like I'm going to have a hangar full of collector items if E-Flite and H9 keep it up.
I have one new in box. I really want to keep it as a spare if (or should I say when) I finally lawn dart my current PT-19, but I'll let it go for $169 shipped in the lower 48
tripleup05 is offline Find More Posts by tripleup05
Old Jul 29, 2011, 03:58 PM
Parkstormer!
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2010
1,935 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by V2rider View Post
HobbyZone shows them as in-stock in a combo with the motor and ESC for $169, if you need/want to grab up a replacement. You could sell off the motor and ESC or send them to other duties . . .
GradyLee is offline Find More Posts by GradyLee
Old Jul 29, 2011, 04:51 PM
Memento Mori
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Sep 2009
2,988 Posts
I started with a Hobbyzone mini cub and moved to a PZ Corsair and I loved the corsair. If you already have the PZ T-28 (not the micro) I would suggest getting the PNP PZ Corsair. Just transfer the battery/rx over to the Corsair. Nice part is a lot of parts are common between the to. I have crashed my Corsair a few times and the only thing that breaks all the time is the cowl and motor mount. The motor mount is the same part number as the T-28 and the cowls are cheap. I just bought a few extra of each. Awesome plane. You just can't glide her in like you can the T-28. Need a little bit of power. Wings tips stall easy due to the gulled wings.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=PKZ4675
Diesel6401 is online now Find More Posts by Diesel6401
Old Jul 29, 2011, 05:08 PM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
Thanks, Guys. One of the clubmembers is gonna loan us a PZ P-47 if we get it fixed. Needs a wing and whatnot. TW