HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:00 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese5 View Post
The Sbach parachutes quite well. Almost like the stryker! Full up, no power and it jusy floats down like a leaf!This adds yet another option for landings.
Maybe into soft grass, but don't do this onto pavement or hard ground.. The nose will eventually crack and break off if you don't flare to a harrier with power.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:40 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
Maybe into soft grass, but don't do this onto pavement or hard ground.. The nose will eventually crack and break off if you don't flare to a harrier with power.
I've only done it for fun, but mine always lands flat on the belly if I do this. Doesn't hit on the nose at all. I finally solved the weak nose problem on my 3d one though.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:36 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
I've only done it for fun, but mine always lands flat on the belly if I do this. Doesn't hit on the nose at all. I finally solved the weak nose problem on my 3d one though.
It doesn't land on the nose, but it hits so hard on the main gear that the weight of the motor and battery cause the nose to crack.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:19 AM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
That's a given. Unless the Sbach has an extreme aft cg, this would break some parts! Harrier landings with no roll out are possible with some power. This is one versatile airplane!
Cheese5 is online now Find More Posts by Cheese5
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:19 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
I take it your flying without the gear...
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SilentPilot; Nov 18, 2012 at 10:38 AM.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:52 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,560 Posts
Sbach3D AS3X programming

Horizon finally released the Sbach3D programming for the AS3X bricks!!!

Redownload the file:
Link Here

And the Sbach3D config is in there! Not only that it is different from all the other files. I mention this because the B3D, CC, GeeBee are all the same file just named differently. I'll do a comparison over the holiday weekend.

-Brian
kalmon is online now Find More Posts by kalmon
Last edited by kalmon; Nov 19, 2012 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Fixed link
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:58 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,892 Posts
Brian,
There is a problem with the link or the website. Unable to locate the files you mentioned.
Gary
Gary Hoorn is online now Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:08 PM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Hoorn View Post
Brian,
There is a problem with the link or the website. Unable to locate the files you mentioned.
Gary
I fixed the link.... stupid copy and paste on my part.

-Brian
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:15 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
And the Sbach3D config is in there! Not only that it is different from all the other files. I mention this because the B3D, CC, GeeBee are all the same file just named differently. I'll do a comparison over the holiday weekend.
Didn't Horizon say they worked out a new config to help with the Elevator control at high speed?
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:26 AM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
Didn't Horizon say they worked out a new config to help with the Elevator control at high speed?
I don't recall that, however I did a static test when I flashed the brick. I Armed the plane and blipped the throttle to get AS3X started then tried my best to rotate the plane at a constant speed and check that surface deflection. Here is what I saw:

I was using 3D Aerobatic config before,
Aileron gain was very close maybe a small bit less gain on the Sbach3D config. Rudder to close to tell, elevator less on the Sbach3D.

I'm beginning to think that AS3X might be a little more advanced than we originally thought. The surface gains might not be linear almost like a sort of expo on the gain. I noticed in my much less than scientific static testing that on slow movements the surfaces moved the same amount but in faster movements the surface moved visibly more. Could be that at slow speeds the difference was there but just imperceptible as the movement was small anyways....

I'll be flight testing my converted Sbach tomorrow as the forecast for today is rain all day.

-Brian
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:56 PM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
Horizon finally released the Sbach3D programming for the AS3X bricks!!!

Redownload the file:
Link Here

-Brian
Good find. I've been waiting for this. Thanks.
Mike
shastamike is online now Find More Posts by shastamike
Old Nov 26, 2012, 08:50 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,800 Posts
Factory TP 325 mAh 65c UMX packs now available!

FYI -

TP is now making 325mAh 65c UMX packs! (Thanks for the link, AP!): http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...-THP3252SPP65B

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 26, 2012, 08:59 AM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
FYI -

TP is now making 325mAh 65c UMX packs! (Thanks for the link, AP!): http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...-THP3252SPP65B

Joel
very cool, thanks for posting!
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Dec 04, 2012, 02:50 PM
Kokomo, Indiana
Joined Jun 2008
876 Posts
Turnigy 1811-2900kv motor in S-Bach

Just sharing some work I performed last Sunday and adding to the knowledge base.

Although I find the stock E-flite 180-2500kv motor in the S-Bach plenty powerful to fly the plane with authority on 2-cells, the raspy noise it produces was embarrassing me more then I like to admit. So I replaced it with a motor left over from some Hyper Taxi experimenting. My goal was to have a near whisper quiet airplane with close to stock performance; what I achieved was much more.

Using a variable DC power supply set to 8v and an Astro Flight Whatt Meter, the Turnigy 1811-2900kv (from Hobby King) produced these numbers:

a) 32 watts at 7.5v and 4.0 amps, GWS5030 prop.
b) 29 watts at 7.5v and 3.7 amps, GWS4530 prop.

For comparison the stock 180-2500kv motor, with the same GWS5030 prop measured 19-20 watts.

Knowing that this amperage draw is taxing my 180mah LiPo’s, I flew it with the 4530 prop. It is exceeding my expectations of nearly whisper quiet, never sounding smoother and more efficient. Only the sound of the servos, ESC hum, and slightly unbalanced propeller/motor are audible. Now half-throttle hand-launches of the S-Bach require the lightest of throws. The plane quickly eats up sky. I did approach wide open throttle on one flight and heard something fluttering on the plane. Not sure which control surface it was, yet. At 50% throttle it is effortlessly maneuverable and plenty fast for my flying field. Pleasantly, the motor is not over loaded and has been totally cool to the touch after my 8-9 minute flights!

This 1811 motor is heavier then the stock one so the CG shifted toward the nose. Moving the battery back readjusted this, of course.

Although not 3-cells, like some of you brave pilots fly, this motor swap is a sweet option to that.

Curt
CorvetteC5 is offline Find More Posts by CorvetteC5
Old Dec 04, 2012, 03:41 PM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,330 Posts
Sounds a lot like mine with a 2300 / 5043 combo.

Oh and it will do 3S (very nicely )
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install