HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 27, 2010, 05:46 AM
harwich
Joined Jun 2010
1 Posts
Discussion
IC to electric power

Hi,
Thinking of converting my old Air SEa rescue boat back to electric power. When I constructed it in the 70,s the electric motors available were pretty low power and noisy! so to get the boat to plane I converted it to a .19 glow motor. It certainly planed well but I was never overy satisfied with the motor, Ok for exercise as it took some starting(new motor)
I now am very puzzled as the motor to fit so it will plane.
I am now suffering from input overload theres just to many variables from the semingly impossible cheap to the just what are you buying expensive.
The model I have is from a MAP plan od a Walton-Thames ASR about 36" long.

Any info welcome as are links.

Peter
ptjw7uk is offline Find More Posts by ptjw7uk
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 27, 2010, 01:35 PM
North Central TN USA
Joined May 2006
3,576 Posts
I know just what you mean by overload. You might try the electric go-fast forum but the responses you get from the people who know this stuff will probably confuse you even more. I know it did me.
420TEE is online now Find More Posts by 420TEE
Old Jun 28, 2010, 12:45 AM
NeverAgainVolunteerYourse lf
Australia, QLD, Regents Park
Joined Mar 2007
3,629 Posts
Loolk for E- motors that can handle the equivlant aircraft prop size as a start,
According to quick bit of research a 0.19 can handle a 8*6 to 9*6 propeller.
I think a 700 will spin a prop that size, and there are plenty of brush-less options as well.

The voltage you want to run at, propeller size and RPM will impact on the choice of motor.

Nick
nick_75au is online now Find More Posts by nick_75au
Old Jun 28, 2010, 12:34 PM
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
4,970 Posts
Hi Peter,

In the category 'seemingly impossible cheap' there's the fan motor from a car, (the one that cools the radiator), source: scrapheap.

Running one on todays lightweight Lipo's, you should acheive sufficient speed and runtime.

Could you post some pictures and data of your boat, such as total weight and how much you can cram into it before it goes down way over its designed waterline...?

Regards, Jan.
pompebled is online now Find More Posts by pompebled