Old Jul 05, 2006, 01:08 AM
QPower 18650
Sunshine Coast
Joined Jun 2006
1,495 Posts
Discussion
Will this suffice for a power supply?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Laboratory-Va...QQcmdZViewItem

Looks like it would do the job but i'm not up with these things.

Any help would be appreciated.
madhun1 is offline Find More Posts by madhun1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2006, 01:23 AM
North Richland Hills, TX
Joined Jan 2006
31 Posts
I think it is over priced for what you need?
Hakkamike is offline Find More Posts by Hakkamike
Old Jul 05, 2006, 01:30 AM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Oct 2004
5,965 Posts
Depends on what you plan to use it for. Please tell the forum what the intended use is. And, if it will power a battery charger, what batteries are you planning to charge?

Or, are you planning to use it to directly charge LiPos?

Bill
ebill3 is offline Find More Posts by ebill3
Old Jul 05, 2006, 01:36 AM
phillyphly
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Sep 2005
1,223 Posts
Yeah, it's up to the task of charging lipos but has no protections for stoopid user mistakes.

Honestly, "if you're not up with these things" it's probably not a good route...
e-guru is offline Find More Posts by e-guru
Old Jul 05, 2006, 02:15 AM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Oct 2004
5,965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebill3
Or are you planning to use it to directly charge LiPos?
On second look. it is not suitable for direct LiPo charge. Voltage accuracy is 1.0%, LCD accuracy is +/- 2.5%.

Bill
ebill3 is offline Find More Posts by ebill3
Old Jul 05, 2006, 03:19 AM
QPower 18650
Sunshine Coast
Joined Jun 2006
1,495 Posts
Was mainly intended for charging NiMh.

The modified PC power supplies look up to the task but the shipping from the US to australia would make it a pointless, nil saving.
Old Jul 05, 2006, 03:22 AM
QPower 18650
Sunshine Coast
Joined Jun 2006
1,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-guru
Yeah, it's up to the task of charging lipos but has no protections for stoopid user mistakes.

Honestly, "if you're not up with these things" it's probably not a good route...
Not up to these things no, but i certainly can read and , like you at one point, am clueless. Only way to learn is ask.
Old Jul 05, 2006, 04:01 AM
United States, CA, Rocklin
Joined Jan 2006
1,103 Posts
madhun1,
You're going about this the right way. I know 'cause I did things the wrong way...by guessing. I'm no expert, but here's my thoughts for you.
ebill3 asks a couple of very necessary questions. Like, you ARE using a charger aren't you? And how many amps will you need, not only now, but in the future?
To give you an idea, I bought a 12v 7amp supply from our local Fry's electronic store for under $30 U.S. It's enough for charging any battery I own now.
That power supply on ebay does seem overpriced/overkill for what you probably need for battery charging. I don't believe you will need a variable one for this purpose.
gofish
gofish is offline Find More Posts by gofish
Old Jul 05, 2006, 04:23 AM
QPower 18650
Sunshine Coast
Joined Jun 2006
1,495 Posts
Thanks Go Fish and others for your replies.

At the moment I am charging NiMh using a GWS MC2002 and a 12v gel cell battery (next seasons jet ski battery); it's getting tedious having to continually recharge the Gel Cell. I envisage in the very near future requiring another charger capable of charging Lipo and NiMh. I doubt I'll ever need a charger capable of charging more than 12c NiMh, but LiPo i'm not entirely sure what future requirements will be.

Currently I have in the "hanger", GWS Dragonfly with a few mods, Sports Flyer Tattler (rebranded Himark Pop Angel) and a Sig Liberty Sport airframe only. The LS once had a slimer in it but it were picked up from a tender centre for $5 so not sure about its heritage. It needs recovering but otherwise in very good condition structurally. This will be converted to brushless, but undecided on components to be used.

Future additions to the fleet include HET F16, TREX S, E-Flite Edge 540, Graupner Nemesis. More than enough to complete the balding process.

The car battery will suffice for charging at the field, Volkswagen were kind enough to place a power outlet in the hatch of the Golf. Folding camping table provides some fire safety for the vehicle. Fortunately at the field I fly at the local council was kind enough to provide a shade structure you can drive right up to.

So what i need is a relatively inexpensive 240v input 12v output power supply up to the task and a relatively future proof charger capable of charging packs for suitable for up to 60" WS models.
Old Jul 05, 2006, 05:10 AM
United States, CA, Rocklin
Joined Jan 2006
1,103 Posts
madhun1,
I see you've got, or are interested in quite an assortment of flying things.
If you are considering lipos, now's the time to invest in a decent charger which can do it. Here's a pic of mine. It can charge just about anything, and "tells" you what's going on with the LCD display. I have no idea what's available in the land of oz, but I paid about $80. US for mine. I use it mainly for lipos, but also for my other packs which I periodically cycle. I have no complaints about the one I bought, but you're sure to find many others like this one.
Now for your power supply, again I don't know what you have to choose from there. There must be electronics supply stores? Or do you have to import?
Keep in mind how many amps you're going to require, now and in the future, for both items you are looking for.
The best to you down-under,
gofish
gofish is offline Find More Posts by gofish
Old Jul 05, 2006, 08:02 AM
phillyphly
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Sep 2005
1,223 Posts
Hey! Don't be offended- at least i didn't mean it that way...

It's just that for the money, there are systems with built in protections like cell count verification and ease of use like automatic charging algorithms. There are plenty of people who use CC CV units like the one you asked about but require voltage clamps and an user determined charging regimens...

Again, not a good way to go with chargers if you're not up with these things or really anyone unless you're experimenting with charging schemes. At any rate, happy flying.
e-guru is offline Find More Posts by e-guru
Old Jul 05, 2006, 08:22 AM
QPower 18650
Sunshine Coast
Joined Jun 2006
1,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-guru
Hey! Don't be offended- at least i didn't mean it that way...

It's just that for the money, there are systems with built in protections like cell count verification and ease of use like automatic charging algorithms. There are plenty of people who use CC CV units like the one you asked about but require voltage clamps and an user determined charging regimens...

Again, not a good way to go with chargers if you're not up with these things or really anyone unless you're experimenting with charging schemes. At any rate, happy flying.
None taken. I had intended using it for 12v output only to hook up a swallow or similar. I used the link with the buy it now price there is one going for $39.
Old Jul 05, 2006, 08:40 AM
"Fix it till it's Broken"
Irvine, CA
Joined Jun 2006
348 Posts
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/GSC-20R-20-Am...QQcmdZViewItem
The only problem is you need 230-240V input.
65535 is offline Find More Posts by 65535
Old Jul 05, 2006, 09:10 AM
On loan to Texas
United States, TX, Benbrook
Joined Oct 2005
5,290 Posts
In Model Avaition Magazine they mentioned using one of these and you can also have a car charger going the same time because the gell cell bufferes out the pulses of the charger. Plus you end up with a field power supply.
Ohio AV8TOR is offline Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
Old Jul 05, 2006, 09:41 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madhun1
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Laboratory-Va...QQcmdZViewItem

Looks like it would do the job but i'm not up with these things.

Any help would be appreciated.
try looking here much better for what you want for charging at home
just check the power requirements of your charger.
http://electronics.search.ebay.com.a...0QQsacatZ48696
olmod is offline Find More Posts by olmod