SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 25, 2004, 12:10 PM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,605 Posts
How many neurons needed to fly a fighter jet?

I guess we all think we're mighty smart to be able to fly our model aeroplanes, but how many neurons does it take to fly a fighter jet.

Scientists have recently found that a living neural network of 25,000 rat neurons is capable of flying a virtual F-22 fighter in a computer flight simulation package.

http://www.napa.ufl.edu/2004news/braindish.htm

Maybe it won't be too long before we just load a rat-brain pod onto a 25g capable fighter-bomber and let it get on with the serious job of dropping things on targets without endangering any goodies.

Brian
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Oct 25, 2004, 12:48 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leccyflyer
I guess we all think we're mighty smart to be able to fly our model aeroplanes, but how many neurons does it take to fly a fighter jet.

Scientists have recently found that a living neural network of 25,000 rat neurons is capable of flying a virtual F-22 fighter in a computer flight simulation package.

http://www.napa.ufl.edu/2004news/braindish.htm

Maybe it won't be too long before we just load a rat-brain pod onto a 25g capable fighter-bomber and let it get on with the serious job of dropping things on targets without endangering any goodies.

Brian
The rat wet-ware must be trained to recognize color... No more "blue on blue" attacks!
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Oct 25, 2004, 01:14 PM
29 rods from you in western WI
Joined Jan 2003
4,885 Posts
Probably take another 10,000 or so neurons to land on a carrier deck. Better make it a two-seater...
Karl Bē is offline Find More Posts by Karl Bē
Old Oct 25, 2004, 03:27 PM
Houston Ellington, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2001
312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by easytiger
Bush did it. That says something.

Dude ... this is like the third non political thread where you had to go in and put your own politically biased slant. Are you that bored? I ignored the first two .... but come on .... there are more than enough threads on this forum to satisfy your political needs.... if there aren't ... then boy do you need some serious help

Logan5
logan5 is offline Find More Posts by logan5
Old Oct 25, 2004, 03:52 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined May 2001
3,816 Posts
Oh, if it was an anti-kerry thing, you'd be laughing. Gimme a break!
easytiger is offline Find More Posts by easytiger
Old Oct 25, 2004, 03:56 PM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,545 Posts
It must have come as a devastating shock to Leccy that someone could have associated President Bush with the thread title. Even his avatar is blushing.
martin richards is online now Find More Posts by martin richards
Old Oct 25, 2004, 05:05 PM
Will work for planes
Fullerton, California, United States
Joined Jan 2002
1,783 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5
Dude ... this is like the third non political thread where you had to go in and put your own politically biased slant. Are you that bored? I ignored the first two .... but come on .... there are more than enough threads on this forum to satisfy your political needs.... if there aren't ... then boy do you need some serious help

Logan5
Must have been removed, I don't see it.
omega blood is offline Find More Posts by omega blood
Old Oct 26, 2004, 01:30 AM
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,082 Posts
I knew a fighter (OK, a bomber actually, F111) pilot who had 24,999 neurons
downunder is offline Find More Posts by downunder
Old Oct 26, 2004, 01:45 AM
Helena, MT
Joined Feb 2003
2,916 Posts
ET - thought of the same joke and almost posted it myself. Guys need to lighten up - that was a good one.
LTChip is offline Find More Posts by LTChip
Old Oct 26, 2004, 07:39 AM
Permanently Banned
Joined May 2001
3,816 Posts
Yeah. Seems like you can dish it out, but not take it.
Old Oct 26, 2004, 07:51 AM
Houston Ellington, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2001
312 Posts
The difference here is called discretion, sure it's a funny joke and when I saw the thread tittle it was something I instantly thought of, but when I read the topic it was obviously a non-political subject ... so why bring politics into it when there are so many other threads to dirty up? Does EVERY thread NEED to be turned into some sort of political rally/bash for one candidate or the other? I seriously hope not ... or else we'll be a sorry bunch when this election is over regardless of who wins.

Back on subject .... I wonder how many neurons it would take to fly a helicopter. Seeing as how those things start off pretty much unstable to begin with ... I mean you've got to worry about your collective, throttle, yoke and rudder peds ... not to mention when you're flying nap of earth ... I got a ride with my uncle's friend who used helicopters to do crop dusting ...THAT was a hell of a ride!

Logan5
logan5 is offline Find More Posts by logan5
Last edited by logan5; Oct 26, 2004 at 07:55 AM.
Old Oct 26, 2004, 08:24 AM
Permanently Banned
Joined May 2001
3,816 Posts
By god, a true patriot like me knows how to STAY THE COURSE and keep posting for FREEDOM. I'm not going to "flip flop" like some others and say, "oh, THIS thread is for talking about knitting, THAT thread is for politics..." because that's WISHY WASHY FLIP FLOPPING.
The war on terrorism is being fought EVERYWHERE. You can't just say "oh, I call this is a safety zone!" cause old Osama don't believe in no safety zone, no backsies, he tagged us, and we are "it". And this here thread is just one of the many skirmishes being fought in the name of Sweet Lady Liberty.
We need a president who is TOUGH on terrorists. Not one who lets Osama and his mama KICK BACK in Afghanistan with his hookah and dialysis machine for THREE YEARS. That's UNACCEPTABLE.
"You can run, but you can't hide!"
GW Bush
Eveidently, if you are OSAMY BIN LADIN, you CAN run and hide.
WHASSUP WITH THAT?
Can you say...

FAILURE?

OBL is LAUGHING at us.

GWB is all like "we all winning the war on terror" but he cannot get

ONE MAN.

The guy who dunnit.

GWB is WEAK. Or "VEAK!" as the gobbernor of Kalifornia would put it.
"Whisky Delta" as any fighter pilot with 24,999 neurons would put it.
No guts, and no stones. Out with the boy already. He been weighed and found wanting.
We need someone toughter, an actual combat vetran who has actually taken some life and knows whats what. Someone with more experience. Kerry ain't the greatest, but he sure beats this shrub, we can't do worse.

"Oh, we winnin!" but he cannot even bag this ONE GUY.
Old Oct 26, 2004, 08:28 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by easytiger
Seems like you can dish it out
Beeeeeeeeeepppppppp - Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeepppppppp - Careful now - that F-22 simulator is also equipped with a Pun-Threat-Warning-Radar.....
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Oct 26, 2004, 08:50 AM
Permanently Banned
Joined May 2001
3,816 Posts
That kind of thing could bounce back on you, watch out...
Old Oct 26, 2004, 12:19 PM
29 rods from you in western WI
Joined Jan 2003
4,885 Posts
While bringing politcs into a non-political thread is bad form IMO, in hindsight perhaps this was another "hidden analogy" thread, such as VP's thread on changing 'cars'. What say you, Brian?

I didn't see ET's joke (clever, if a bit obvious) other than as quoted. I honestly wasn't thinking of Bush when I posted re: carrier landing, but again in hindsight, maybe it was a bit Freudian.
Karl Bē is offline Find More Posts by Karl Bē