SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 29, 2014, 01:38 PM
Cambridge
Joined Sep 2005
707 Posts
Discussion
F5B Contest Software

Just wondering if there are any plans that people know of for porting the F5B contest software to be able to run on 64 bit machines?

At the moment we still do have 32 bit Windows machines around but there will come a time when these are no longer available.
Alan Flockhart is offline Find More Posts by Alan Flockhart
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2014, 02:01 PM
Chipping Norton, UK
Joined Jan 2005
755 Posts
And while we're at it a update to allow for the Neu logger?
steveburns is online now Find More Posts by steveburns
Old Jun 29, 2014, 04:11 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Dec 1999
7,353 Posts
I think a whole new batch of hardware and software is in order....

Steve
sneu is offline Find More Posts by sneu
Old Jun 30, 2014, 04:20 AM
Denmark
Joined Oct 2007
155 Posts
I have made a Windows application to calculate our competitions, Nationals and Team selection.
The interfacing with the current timing box is still a work in progress though...

It can keep a public website displaying live results up to date, so pilots can access this and follow the competition...

It has a plugin architecture so different rules for Nationals and Team selection can be easily implemented without having to change the main program...

I'm considering using a Tablet for entering results on flightline (much better backlight than a PC). Still working on the architecture on that one though

If anyone would like to try it out please say so, some input for improvements would help a lot!
JeppeA is offline Find More Posts by JeppeA
Old Jun 30, 2014, 05:57 AM
Cambridge
Joined Sep 2005
707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeppeA View Post
I have made a Windows application to calculate our competitions, Nationals and Team selection.
The interfacing with the current timing box is still a work in progress though...

It can keep a public website displaying live results up to date, so pilots can access this and follow the competition...

It has a plugin architecture so different rules for Nationals and Team selection can be easily implemented without having to change the main program...

I'm considering using a Tablet for entering results on flightline (much better backlight than a PC). Still working on the architecture on that one though

If anyone would like to try it out please say so, some input for improvements would help a lot!
Let us have access to what you have got. We can pull it apart for you

Moving to a tablet would be ideal.... As long as it works on both Apple and Android (Android would be the more sensible solution I guess for ease of interfacing with)

George S do you fancy writing some code for us
Old Jun 30, 2014, 07:33 AM
Denmark
Joined Oct 2007
155 Posts
Alan: Mail sent...
Old Jul 02, 2014, 01:34 AM
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Dec 2007
2,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Flockhart View Post

Moving to a tablet would be ideal.... As long as it works on both Apple and Android (Android would be the more sensible solution I guess for ease of interfacing with)
Why rewrite? Surface Pro 3 or even 2 would work great here
la528it is offline Find More Posts by la528it
Old Jul 02, 2014, 06:01 AM
Scotland
Joined May 2005
2,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Flockhart View Post
George S do you fancy writing some code for us
Alan, I think you are mis-stating the problem. Some extra bits in the processor should not matter. Is it because the new laptops do not have a parallel port or that they do not have a "DOS box"?

The course equipment should interface to the course computer through a single USB connection. Then we can use a windows 32bit or 64 bit, or a tablet or even a phone.

This means that the junction box will have to become active by fitting a processor board with USB, serial, digital inputs and maybe I2C for an Eagle Tree type display which is visible in sunlight. Such boards, Ardouino type, are ubiquitous and widely use in "Maker" applications, hobby and education. The box can still take the old serial gas boxes, but also new Neu ones, cable push buttons, radio ones, or anything else that comes up.

This requires three activities, build a new junction box or modify the old one, write the microprocessor interface software, and write/re-write the course computer software.
George Shering is offline Find More Posts by George Shering
Old Jul 02, 2014, 08:36 AM
Denmark
Joined Oct 2007
155 Posts
Hi George

What I have done is rewrite the course computer software, Alan is hopefully looking at it at the moment...

My idea is to add a Bluetooth dongle to the course system, and then use a tablet to enter the results. The results will then be distributed to the course computer which can also host a website for participants to follow.
Old Jul 02, 2014, 02:36 PM
Joined Dec 2004
759 Posts
Exciting new ideas guys, I'd be interested to follow any developments.

If I'm not mistaken Gernot is working on a junction box with a USB interface.

With regards to Bluetooth, I'm a bit hesitant after some interferance/connections problems with the bluetooth when 2.4Ghz transmitters are in the neighbourhood. Might be better when using a tablet rather than a phone though.

regards,
Gerben
Gerben is offline Find More Posts by Gerben
Old Jul 03, 2014, 02:21 AM
Cambridge
Joined Sep 2005
707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Shering View Post
Alan, I think you are mis-stating the problem. Some extra bits in the processor should not matter. Is it because the new laptops do not have a parallel port or that they do not have a "DOS box"?

The course equipment should interface to the course computer through a single USB connection. Then we can use a windows 32bit or 64 bit, or a tablet or even a phone.
When we try running on a 64bit machine we get the following error (See image).

We have tried numerous of the "compatibility" settings via properties and none improve the issue. If someone has it running on a 64 bit machine (and not in XP mode either as that isn't supported on windows8) please let us know.
Old Jul 03, 2014, 08:37 AM
Belgium, Flemish Region, Oosterzele
Joined Dec 2001
5,473 Posts
Could it be that the problem is running an old (DOS/16 bit?) application on Win8?
To run DOS applications, you can use an emulator like DOSBOX:

http://www.dosbox.com/

ah, I see George already said something like that too...
WimH is online now Find More Posts by WimH
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: That elusive thermal...
Old Jul 03, 2014, 09:39 AM
Scotland
Joined May 2005
2,076 Posts
Alan, it seems it is all there, or will be. With Gernot's USB junction box, and Jeppe's program, modified for the USB you should be home and dry.

Jeppe, if you are connecting the course computer via USB and running a web server on it you can connect the tablet/phone through the web server, no need for Bluetooth.
George Shering is offline Find More Posts by George Shering
Old Jul 03, 2014, 11:26 AM
Denmark
Joined Oct 2007
155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Shering View Post
Alan, it seems it is all there, or will be. With Gernot's USB junction box, and Jeppe's program, modified for the USB you should be home and dry.

Jeppe, if you are connecting the course computer via USB and running a web server on it you can connect the tablet/phone through the web server, no need for Bluetooth.
Agreed, but you need to keep the pilot about to start aligned with the one selected in the program, and that is hard to see on a PC in direct sunlight, the tablet is much better for that...
I guess we could expose a webservice on the PC that the tablet would use to control this realtime? I'll look into that
But another solution could be to use a usb2serial adapter, and plug the usb into the tablet...
Think I have to make an architectural drawing and figure out where to master the data, and what should connect where and why
Old Jul 03, 2014, 02:38 PM
Austria, Stmk., Graz
Joined Sep 2013
109 Posts
*motiviating pad on Jeppe's shoulder*

JAyThaRevo is offline Find More Posts by JAyThaRevo