HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 06, 2012, 06:30 PM
Thermal Seeker
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Feb 2011
4,372 Posts
Discussion
Atlanta Area DLG Forum

Hi guys. I picked up a DLG at SEFF last week and have to say I am officially hooked. So here's a thread for like minded people in the area to discuss setups, planes and places to fly. My current plane is a Cyclone. its not the hottest deign out there but its a good start for me-- Built up balsa/carbon wing with a plastic pod and carbon boom. I like the fiberglass/plastic pod which allows me to run a regular 2.4 rx without the need for a $$$$carbon friendly rx.

I flew at DFC today and even though I found some lift, the terrain is not friendly to landings.

My new favorite spot is the soccer fields at Mercer Univ. Its just off I85 at Chamblee Tucker Road. The field is on Flowers Rd. Plenty big enough, and it even has a slope that you can run the ridge if the breeze is right. To top it off, it is closely cut Bermuda turf. Sweet Only downside is ya gotta walk from the parking lot about 100 yards. But its not like ya need a tool box or chargers for DLG.

My favorite thing about DLG is when your ready to go home there's always the voice in my head saying "just one more launch" and then 12 throws later you are saying the same thing--"just one more"

Ill probably head up to the NASA field in a week or to to see how the more experienced guys do it. Until then- Here is our new thread.
electrich is offline Find More Posts by electrich
to remove ads between posts
Old May 06, 2012, 07:51 PM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
5,061 Posts
I've been interested in a DLG for a few months now. whats a good starter bird w/ ailerons?
Matt Gunn is offline Find More Posts by Matt Gunn
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Bill Hempel Xtreme Decathlon
Old May 06, 2012, 08:09 PM
Thermal Seeker
Joined Feb 2011
4,372 Posts
http://www.atlantahobby.com/Store/pc...-401p16092.htm

Check this one out Matt. It's a good combo of performance and price. Plus you can get it locally.
Old May 06, 2012, 08:26 PM
United States, GA, Dunwoody
Joined Feb 2011
713 Posts
After seeing the activity at NASA several onths ago I too have an interest. I haven't seen any advertised at a resonable price. The graphite and CF are pretty steep to ty for the first time. If anyone comes across a resale. I'd be interested.
Joel
BeechMusketeer is offline Find More Posts by BeechMusketeer
Old May 06, 2012, 09:02 PM
Plain Broke and Broke Planes!
Hoschton, GA
Joined Jul 2003
1,768 Posts
Mercer used to be a popular spot to fly, but I haven't heard of anyone over there for a while. Please be careful where you fly if the fields are in use, someone almost got everybody banned years ago...

That said, I'd love to get into DLG. I've had a couple of abortive attempts with really cheap models. I wish there was a good lower end model to try...
pcphill is offline Find More Posts by pcphill
Old May 06, 2012, 09:07 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,494 Posts
I had a Fling for a few years, but never flew it nor did I know anyone flying DLGs at the time...

I have always been interested in it as it always seemed to me to be very challenging area of RC. However with a bad back and a dislocating shoulder, I have been incredibly hesitant about even entertaining the idea of getting another DLG... that said, I may be due for electric powered glider in my future

Rich~ That disser is nice, I think I saw cliff walking back with one in hand after the power line explosion at SEFF. It is a sleak, feather light bird.

I never got any resistance (or any comments for that matter) when I used to fly at Mercer- which was my regular spot a few years ago, I would go there when Piedmont Park had too much foot traffic (before my planes got big). I was mindful of the practices; but surprisingly when they were only using half the field, they would still invite me on to fly over the other half of the field with no problem. It was very inviting, but my planes simply got too big. I think the last one I flew there was either the Ultimate AMR from PA or my second Eflite P-38... both too big for the field
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by bsbauman; May 06, 2012 at 09:13 PM.
Old May 06, 2012, 09:22 PM
Thermal Seeker
Joined Feb 2011
4,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcphill View Post
Mercer used to be a popular spot to fly, but I haven't heard of anyone over there for a while. Please be careful where you fly if the fields are in use, someone almost got everybody banned years ago...

That said, I'd love to get into DLG. I've had a couple of abortive attempts with really cheap models. I wish there was a good lower end model to try...
Each time I have been at Mercer, I have been the only person there. I'm kind of a "shy flyer" and would not fly if there was a sports game or any other kind of gathering going on. I am also very mindful and considerate of this and any other nice field. I don't want to get anybody banned and I think the fact my model is unpowered puts people at ease. It's like a frisbee

As for entry level, the Cyclone is available for $99 at Atlanta Hobby. Flies true enough for me.
Old May 06, 2012, 10:13 PM
Plain Broke and Broke Planes!
Hoschton, GA
Joined Jul 2003
1,768 Posts
I had a Fling several years back from one of the first shipments. It had several issues, but the worst was the material used forthe pull pull surfaces stretched. Went straight in on about the 12th flight. Another club member repeated this the following week.

I'll have to check out the Cyclone. I'll have to sell some stuff first...
pcphill is offline Find More Posts by pcphill
Old May 07, 2012, 09:05 AM
Dacula, GA
Joined Feb 2008
3,776 Posts
The top sky 1.1 (non-disser) is also a fine starting point:

http://www.hobbyclub.com/product_inf...roducts_id=984

And for cheaper you can try the "mini":

http://www.hobbyclub.com/product_inf...oducts_id=1123

Don't know of any decent DLGs otherwise that are not $400 plus.
rpstar is offline Find More Posts by rpstar
Old May 07, 2012, 09:07 AM
Dacula, GA
Joined Feb 2008
3,776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
Rich~ That disser is nice, I think I saw cliff walking back with one in hand after the power line explosion at SEFF. It is a sleak, feather light bird.
(
The one Cliff had in his hand was a high dollar DLG. Not sure which one it was but I'm pretty sure it's well over $1000.
Old May 07, 2012, 09:40 AM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Mar 2011
4,351 Posts
Subbing to this as i have been interested in DLG flight

Why are DLG's so insanely expensive though i dont even think they have that much CF in them to justify the cost
shadow102 is offline Find More Posts by shadow102
Old May 07, 2012, 09:41 AM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
5,061 Posts
major nitch market equals inflated prices.

Just wait till HobbyKing released a carbon DLG for $129!
Matt Gunn is offline Find More Posts by Matt Gunn
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Bill Hempel Xtreme Decathlon
Old May 07, 2012, 10:15 AM
Dacula, GA
Joined Feb 2008
3,776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by webdr View Post
major nitch market equals inflated prices.

Just wait till HobbyKing released a carbon DLG for $129!
Yeah, keep hoping.

Price is largely due to the precision needed in the handmade parts. It's not like a foam mold where you just inject it and you are done. They also have to be very lightweight. In short, to get one that flys great you pay for the handmade precision of it which is pretty much the same for anything of higher quality.
Old May 07, 2012, 10:45 AM
Thermal Seeker
Joined Feb 2011
4,372 Posts
The top sky 1.1 is nice and on sale for $229 right now. I have money left over from SEFF.... Hmmm
Old May 07, 2012, 12:18 PM
Dacula, GA
Joined Feb 2008
3,776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by electrich View Post
The top sky 1.1 is nice and on sale for $229 right now. I have money left over from SEFF.... Hmmm
Yeah, that's probably what I'll get next. The Disser is nice but nothing we would probably notice the difference that much on. The reviews I've seen on the Disser say that until you get really, really good you would not gain much by going with a higher dollar DLG. Hence, either of the two would be a nice choice.