Originally Posted by rocklizard28 View Post
I want a cheap fpv system for under 50$$ 100$ any
One I've gone to millons of thread no help
Started a thread still no help

Please anyone
Taken from the first post:

1/3-inch SONY CCD Video Camera (NTSC) - $16.99

5.8g 200mw FPV Wireless AV Tx & Rx Set - $66.43

Of course, that assumes you already have the radio transmitter/receiver, batteries, airplane, esc, etc
polyfractal is offline Find More Posts by polyfractal
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 07, 2012, 09:38 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,602 Posts
Quote:

Please anyone
You left off a decimal place. By the time you get your camera, transmitter, receiver, base station, antennas, 5v power supply it will all add up to much much more than $100. For that matter the plane is usually the cheapest part of FPV unless someone is unloading an older system.

If you want to check out different type of hardware go to Readymaderc.com. That will give you an idea of what is out there. Have fun.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Nov 08, 2012, 12:10 AM
Phlathead
Roseville, CA
Joined Aug 2006
624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandevil View Post
I'm not good with electronics, so the idea of trying to suppress ESC interference scares me. I checked HK and 300 mAh 3-cell battery weighs 38 g. My planned TX draws 300 mAh, so it should definitely last half an hour.
I've been flying my nearly 3lb SkySurfer for some time now quite fast and effectively with an upgraded motor. Just cruising around at mild speeds and I can get 20+ minutes off of a 3000mAh 3s. I tend to push it quite hard down in the weeds at nearly WOT for about 9 minutes with that same setup. Single battery these days, with a simple LC filter installed between the battery (balance port) and the transmitter/camera. No motor noise.
ToxicToast is offline Find More Posts by ToxicToast
Old Nov 09, 2012, 11:38 AM
cheapskate extroardinairé
United States, CA, Marin
Joined Jul 2011
1,084 Posts
Quote:

Please anyone
If you are looking for a cheap system, Hobbyking has a 200mw 900mhz system for I think around $50. My friend had one for a while, till he switched to 5.8ghz with cloverleaf antennas. if you need something to view the video on as well, you can get small (2-3") lcd screens with av input for about $25 on amazon. just mount one of those under the brim of a baseball cap, over one eye. close the other eye, and it's (almost) as good as having video goggles, for a WHOLE lot cheaper.
baconflyer is offline Find More Posts by baconflyer
Old Nov 09, 2012, 11:59 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,502 Posts
Quote:

Please anyone
I want a cheap Ferrari for under 50$$ 100$ any

Please anyone

Maybe you can't get it for that? I'm assuming you mean plane, airborne system, ground station, etc.
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Nov 09, 2012, 01:25 PM
United States, CA, Marin
Joined Jul 2011
1,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
I want a cheap Ferrari for under 50$$ 100$ any

Please anyone

Maybe you can't get it for that? I'm assuming you mean plane, airborne system, ground station, etc.
I assume fpv system just means the camera, vtx, vrx, and goggles/monitor.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 07:26 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by baconflyer View Post
I assume fpv system just means the camera, vtx, vrx, and goggles/monitor.
You still can't all that for $100. Maybe the camera and a cheap transmitter but not including a receiver, goggles or monitor. You also need a power supply or batteries, cabling, antennas, etc.

A starter FPV package is over $250. Add goggles or a monitor and you can add $100 to $300 more and you still have basic hardware.

FPV is not for low budgets. If you put in cheap stuff then you probably will lose it when the plane goes down due to video loss. Then you are out some electronics and the plane which is not cheap.

I suggest you should spend at least $600 or more for quality equipment which will probably last you a while.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 12:04 AM
United States, CA, Marin
Joined Jul 2011
1,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
You still can't all that for $100. Maybe the camera and a cheap transmitter but not including a receiver, goggles or monitor. You also need a power supply or batteries, cabling, antennas, etc.

A starter FPV package is over $250. Add goggles or a monitor and you can add $100 to $300 more and you still have basic hardware.

FPV is not for low budgets. If you put in cheap stuff then you probably will lose it when the plane goes down due to video loss. Then you are out some electronics and the plane which is not cheap.

I suggest you should spend at least $600 or more for quality equipment which will probably last you a while.
LIES, you can get a 200mw 900mhz system (camera, vtx, vrx,) on hobbyking for about $50, a small monitor on amazon for about $25, and a couple 3s lipos on hobbyking to power everything for about $5 each, unless my math is wrong, that comes out to $85, which I do believe is less than $100.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:24 AM
Phlathead
Roseville, CA
Joined Aug 2006
624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by baconflyer View Post
LIES, you can get a 200mw 900mhz system (camera, vtx, vrx,) on hobbyking for about $50, a small monitor on amazon for about $25, and a couple 3s lipos on hobbyking to power everything for about $5 each, unless my math is wrong, that comes out to $85, which I do believe is less than $100.
And Eagle's point was that you'll end up flushing the money down the toilet when it is craps out on your first flight, smashing everything to the ground. You'll get what you pay for, and if it is for a 30 second flight that ends in a plastic bin, its just a waste of money. It took me six months of gradually buying gear to get something that was usable. I then found that I needed more and more gear in the mix to build up a robust enough system to have the confidence in flying the way I wanted to. Rushing into it for instant gratification sake is going to result in a lousy experience. $.02
ToxicToast is offline Find More Posts by ToxicToast
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:47 AM
Joined Aug 2011
1,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by toxictoast View Post
and eagle's point was that you'll end up flushing the money down the toilet when it is craps out on your first flight, smashing everything to the ground. You'll get what you pay for, and if it is for a 30 second flight that ends in a plastic bin, its just a waste of money. It took me six months of gradually buying gear to get something that was usable. I then found that i needed more and more gear in the mix to build up a robust enough system to have the confidence in flying the way i wanted to. Rushing into it for instant gratification sake is going to result in a lousy experience. $.02
+1

I understand about tight budgets and wanting to save money. But when it comes to flying a 2 lb object over wilderness or even worse population I would rather have better than bargain basement hardware. It is a recipe for disaster or loss.

I learned that a long time ago when I purchased cheap tires for my car. To save a couple of hundred bucks I put myself and others in jeopardy by having a low grade tire blow out on the highway.

There comes a time to save money when buying and time to not go cheap. The decision is yours. I just wanted to caution someone not to expect a reliable FPV system for $100.
Last edited by Eagle202; Nov 10, 2012 at 10:54 AM.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 12:21 PM
Crash....Fix......repeat.
United States, UT, Eagle Mountain
Joined Jan 2012
451 Posts
It just comes down to you get what you pay for. In principle, the HK gear will work. In practice, it will work for only a short distance, and even at that you'll need to be aware of issues with the lower end gear. Reliability IS an issue. My advice is to do your homework, understand how each works and how they interact with eachother. It took me nearly a year to decide what components to use for my first FPV setup. In that time I was able to save up for a quality setup as well as get my Ham license. If its your first setup I HIGHLY advice getting a package deal. Like the ones you'll find on the ReadymadeRC website. There's no guessing about wiring, plugs or even batteries. Just my .02.
kokopropelli is offline Find More Posts by kokopropelli
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:06 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Haven't posted in here in a while so I thought I would post something! Got a new 808 #16 v2 cam in yesterday so I strapped it ontop of my FPV Cam and flew. This is the result:

FPV Over King Salmon, CA - 11/10/2012 (15 min 11 sec)

Overall I am quite happy with it, finally a somewhat descent camera to get some good video . Now to get my SSS done so I can put it on that hehe, OHH and my Stryker, that will be a fun one.
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:47 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
Haven't posted in here in a while so I thought I would post something! Got a new 808 #16 v2 cam in yesterday so I strapped it ontop of my FPV Cam and flew. This is the result:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZ65xlQOfBs

Overall I am quite happy with it, finally a somewhat descent camera to get some good video . Now to get my SSS done so I can put it on that hehe, OHH and my Stryker, that will be a fun one.
nice video with that new camera. I also like the area you are now flying in. Looks much better than that junkyard with all that equipment to hurt your landings.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 04:17 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,655 Posts
Crashproofing the Nose of the Skysurfer/Bixler: I am sure this has been done by dozens of folks before, but just though I would refresh the idea with some improvements.

I wanted to solve 2 of the major shortcomings of the Easy star type planes we all love to fly: improve access to the hatch area and preventing destruction of the front fuse walls during nose-in crashes

I cut the hatch towards the nose a few more inches. Then I Gorilla Glued some ply walls to the sides. The poly GGlue expanded and fills around the foam and ply making it very stout. I then made a new hatch cover with plywood, which adds a third side to the plywood box. Retained with a bit of chopstick going into a hole in the nose cone, then velcro strap to the outside of the fuse in back. Also convenient for all my FPV electronics.

Now I have had some real nasty crashes lately with this setup. Yesterday overshot the landing zone and went headlong into a fence. With Zero damage! No crumpling of the foam sides, as we usually see.

I now now easily fit large batteries in there. A 3300 slides in under the wing, and there is still room for maybe another 6000 mah in the front (though not sure if this plane could haul that much!). I also shielded the power wires from the video system and servo wires - the video reception is now much better than my Zephyr, which has 3x the video wattage.

Note: the sides were already bent a bit from pre-reinforcement crashes

(The bamboo 'horns' at the front are for an elastic to hold the HD cam down onto the velcro)

BCSaltchucker is offline Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Last edited by BCSaltchucker; Nov 11, 2012 at 04:23 PM.