HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 03, 2012, 06:15 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,455 Posts
Regarding covering, I have figured out that humidity and temperature changes make it impossible to have perfect covering. I twice received a perfectly covered plane, once from EF, once from another brand, but by the time I got around to building it, they both developed wrinkles. Since then I've stopped complaining.

Regarding landing gear plate...never had a problem on an extreme flight plane.

Regarding landing gear on the 48" MXS...it has a weak point down by where the wheel pant mounts, if my experience is any indication. Broke mine landing half on the tarp runway, half on the grass. Broke another turning with two much speed/wiping out type of move. People are replacing these with the extra or edge landing gear. I'm just landing better. You could pre-emptively strengthing MXS (48") with kevlar thread. The 64" MXS doesn't have this issue, at least so far, in my experience.

On the 64" MXS, the only weak point I've found so far is the wheel pants. I am on my third set. I stepped on one, cracked another on a bad landing.

But there will always be some weakest link.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2012, 07:34 PM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,924 Posts
rimaarts,
the LG plate is VERY VERY strong! I would not worry about it one bit. And yes, I have had problems with other planes in this area....This one is good!
YellowJacketsRC is offline Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:07 PM
JUNK RADIO
USA, NY, Queens
Joined Dec 2006
3,136 Posts
new pic
Flazo is offline Find More Posts by Flazo
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:20 PM
Yin & Yang
United States, VA, Sterling
Joined Jul 2011
4,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flazo View Post
new pic
Nice plane. but I couldn't help notice the fireball to the left.
Liberty10 is offline Find More Posts by Liberty10
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:35 PM
On loan to Texas
United States, TX, Benbrook
Joined Oct 2005
5,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty10 View Post
Another Castle ESC with too much ripple current
Ohio AV8TOR is offline Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
Old Dec 04, 2012, 01:21 AM
USA, VA, Newport News
Joined Jan 2010
1,517 Posts

She is pretty....and the plane is nice too.
Cabledawg1 is offline Find More Posts by Cabledawg1
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Shipped Super Viper today
Old Dec 04, 2012, 04:42 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfRC View Post
Regarding covering, I have figured out that humidity and temperature changes make it impossible to have perfect covering. I twice received a perfectly covered plane, once from EF, once from another brand, but by the time I got around to building it, they both developed wrinkles. Since then I've stopped complaining.

Regarding landing gear plate...never had a problem on an extreme flight plane.

Regarding landing gear on the 48" MXS...it has a weak point down by where the wheel pant mounts, if my experience is any indication. Broke mine landing half on the tarp runway, half on the grass. Broke another turning with two much speed/wiping out type of move. People are replacing these with the extra or edge landing gear. I'm just landing better. You could pre-emptively strengthing MXS (48") with kevlar thread. The 64" MXS doesn't have this issue, at least so far, in my experience.

On the 64" MXS, the only weak point I've found so far is the wheel pants. I am on my third set. I stepped on one, cracked another on a bad landing.

But there will always be some weakest link.
yeah... well one thing is to get a wrinkly covering wich is understandable... other thing is to get wrinkle-free covering where on nearly any corner you can see someoene has done it on friday...

and speaking about wheel pants... on my 57" they lasted for nearly a year without any problems, but on my 51" wheelpants seemed around as strong with the same diameter wheels but lasted only 3 flights before developing cracks... on 60" aeroplanes i would like to see bigger wheelpants where we could use like 0.5" bigger aftermarket wheels... (like on 42" slick i can easily run 2.5 dubro wheels requiring only a bit of dremel job and still looking quite decent...)

i hinged everything, glued elevator yesterday... i think i will be able to get 60-70* easily on elevator.... on my mxs im running 55 and find it plenty!

either something is wrong with my new and fresh ca bottle, either something was off with hinges, but ca did not seem to wich in momentarily...im not worried about aelerons, but more about elevator! i blendermed it, but still im thinking about going with epoxy hinges...
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:22 AM
JUNK RADIO
USA, NY, Queens
Joined Dec 2006
3,136 Posts
anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty10 View Post
Keeping warm like the Homeless...

fred
Flazo is offline Find More Posts by Flazo
Old Dec 04, 2012, 09:21 AM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,883 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabledawg1 View Post

She is pretty....and the plane is nice too.
It's amazing now calling him, a she, resulted in a quick 61 views. I'm guessing from my past experience with the area, the sun was going down already around 4 PM and the fireball is actually a car's headlights.
Aeroplayin is offline Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2012, 09:29 AM
Yin & Yang
United States, VA, Sterling
Joined Jul 2011
4,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroplayin View Post
It's amazing now calling him, a she, resulted in a quick 61 views. I'm guessing from my past experience with the area, the sun was going down already around 4 PM and the fireball is actually a car's headlights.
I'm pretty sure it's a fire in a barrel. It does look like someone either recently stoked it or tossed on some accelerant. I stood around many a fire barrel on construction sites back in the day. Amazing how well a large tube of glue will start wet wood on fire
Liberty10 is offline Find More Posts by Liberty10
Old Dec 04, 2012, 01:13 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
just adding to battery discussion... 3600 hayin 30c - weighter 1 out of 3 and it was 608g... just for comparison i will try getting gens ace 3700 (when i can finally source them)
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Old Dec 04, 2012, 02:35 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,883 Posts
My Gens Ace 6S 3300mAh 25C is 525.78 g (18.56 oz) and my 6S 3300mAh 30C Sky is 507.65 g (17.92 oz). Both with Velcro.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 06, 2012, 08:42 AM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,740 Posts
I just picked up one of these locally from a fellow forum member for a really great deal, looks like new. It was built very well. Anyone ever try the exceed rocket motors on this plane? I have a motrolfly on my slick. I like it but wanted to try to go economical this time around if possible.
Wingbreaker is offline Find More Posts by Wingbreaker
Old Dec 06, 2012, 09:08 AM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,883 Posts
There was a guy on the 60/64 MXS thread that not only had one in his plane but also posted a video. It's worth a thousand words. He had a Rocket 4120-465 with an 85A ESC. Don't remember what prop, but I would PM him and find out how the motor held up. It was on the original MXS thread and it was not early in the thread. It may be easier to find by going to youtube and searching for it....

Okay, I just did that and here it is... and it was a 16x8 prop.

ExtremeFlightRC 64'' MXS-R_Maiden (3 min 49 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 06, 2012, 09:32 AM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,455 Posts
I have used a few rocket series motors, and haven't had any problems with them...up to a 48" EPP foam plane. I did have to reverse the shaft on the smaller motors for my application on one of my planes. Wasn't hard, and worked out very well.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f