HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 16, 2011, 08:48 PM
A-4 nut!!
Vancouver B.C.
Joined Apr 2002
4,654 Posts
Quote:
yea it happens when the blades spread out ,its not a welcomed thing but must stock fans do this ,sometimes they need to wear in and sometimes you can loosen the motor and center it better ,I will run em in with a three cell then pop in the 4s
That's the biggest bunch of nonsense.

It happens because stock fans are not balanced they vibrate and the imballance is what causes the run and wear. Should not be a problem - however - if it's bad enough it can cause the blades to fail and spit them all out the back.
skyhawk is online now Find More Posts by skyhawk
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2011, 09:21 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
1,960 Posts
Regarding the fans, this is my first EDF, but I learned a couple of things. One was that the duct around them can be deformed easily as they are very flexible, and just removing and reinstalling one of my fans fixed it's rub. The other fan, I could see was not centered in the duct. I figured the holes for the motor mount screws were off center in the duct assy, turned out the threaded holes in the motor were off center! So I wallerred out the holes in the mount by calibrated eyeball, and it's OK now.

I found the fans seem to fit perfectly on my Top Flite Precision Magnetic Balancer, but I haven't done it yet, just fit checked on a fan I damaged trying to remove earlier.

So on another subject, does anyone have any documentation on the ESC's? I got my 3rd flight in today, and still have no idea if I screw up and run the battery down, will it just go till the battery explodes, kill the motors, pulse the motors, etc....??? I must confess, I don't even have the names off them to search the net... Guess I should pop the wing off and see.
xmech2k is online now Find More Posts by xmech2k
Old Jul 17, 2011, 06:49 AM
birmingham Al.
Joined Aug 2005
1,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhawk View Post

It happens because stock fans are not balanced they vibrate and the imballance is what causes the run and wear. Should not be a problem - however - if it's bad enough it can cause the blades to fail and spit them all out the back.
No its not I own 40 plus edfs from 50 mm. to 90mm. On high end stuff I balance on stock stuff i adjust I blew only 4 fans up when I over voltage or crashed or a tiny drop of got on the housing during assemmbly oh yea when I was tightning a fan
killer vtwin is offline Find More Posts by killer vtwin
Last edited by killer vtwin; Jul 18, 2011 at 06:59 PM. Reason: was told to edit
Old Jul 17, 2011, 07:43 PM
A-4 nut!!
Vancouver B.C.
Joined Apr 2002
4,654 Posts
Sure there are other reasons for fans to fail or rub - the point is fan blades do not stretch.
skyhawk is online now Find More Posts by skyhawk
Old Jul 18, 2011, 06:28 PM
Foamy Pilot
United States, CA
Joined Jun 2011
457 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer vtwin View Post
yea it happens when the blades spread out ,its not a welcomed thing but must stock fans do this ,sometimes they need to wear in and sometimes you can loosen the motor and center it better ,I will run em in with a three cell then pop in the 4s
I have seen others on this forum use the same wording "wear in" or "break in", so I was assuming that this was somewhat normal. I am assuming now that the fans are rubbing at higher speeds because they are not balanced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhawk View Post

I have searched the forum and can not really find a way or method to properly balance a fan. Is there a tool I can buy to balance them? How do you do it?
AJ5000 is offline Find More Posts by AJ5000
Old Jul 18, 2011, 07:28 PM
birmingham Al.
Joined Aug 2005
1,186 Posts
Sorry skyhawk I should not have been so ugly. that kind of wording was un called for in this forum, there was no exuse on my part . killervtwin
Old Jul 18, 2011, 10:02 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
you can balance a fan with an iphone, if you own one. go to the EDF forum and there's a thread there on how to do it.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Jul 27, 2011, 09:00 AM
Just gotta mod. it
Northern British Columbia
Joined Dec 2006
936 Posts
Well it finally arrived and in good shape. Switched recievers and it works great...lots of power.
canadianufo is offline Find More Posts by canadianufo
Old Jul 28, 2011, 12:38 AM
Just gotta mod. it
Joined Dec 2006
936 Posts
Almost done...lol
Old Jul 28, 2011, 10:30 PM
birmingham Al.
Joined Aug 2005
1,186 Posts
very nice ,my only beef with this plane is the nose gear metal is soft and bends easy but i love to fly it , im running a 2200 4s batt bone stock she is really quick .i also added some fiber reinforced tape under the wing to help out the wing flex
Old Jul 29, 2011, 08:22 AM
Just gotta mod. it
Joined Dec 2006
936 Posts
Thanks, I've retracts coming and I was thinking of adding tape also. The battery connectors are also going to be changed to deans so I can use all my equipment.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 07:16 PM
birmingham Al.
Joined Aug 2005
1,186 Posts
I would like to know what retrcats you got for it and if they are servoless
Old Aug 01, 2011, 11:28 AM
Just gotta mod. it
Joined Dec 2006
936 Posts
HK servoless units which should do the job. No nose steering but I can live with that. It's at the lhs getting all the ends changed over and I bought a couple more e-flite 30c 3cell 2200's.
Old Aug 01, 2011, 11:52 AM
Foamy Pilot
United States, CA
Joined Jun 2011
457 Posts
I went with these and the nose is steerable: http://www.highendrc.com/index_eprod...roducts_id=262

Nice pics, canadianufo. I painted my inlet rings silver too. Looks good
AJ5000 is offline Find More Posts by AJ5000
Old Aug 22, 2011, 11:17 PM
Canada, BC, Burnaby
Joined Oct 2010
247 Posts
Got my last weekend put it together look nice, that edf needed balance, I have try it out with 3s 2200, 4s 2600, & 2x2200, all fly good here is a shot video from my I phone
Dynam turbo jet (4 min 21 sec)
Westwood is offline Find More Posts by Westwood