SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 28, 2015, 04:36 AM
Find More Posts by davidmc36
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
4,147 Posts
C1. Channel 1 (Control 1) Throttle stick. Try out the servo monitor screen, it helps a lot to see what control is moving what channel.

I was a little baffled with some things at first but once you get around the menus a while it gels together.

Servo monitor is your friend.

I don't share you opinion of the display. Even at extreme angles I can see it fine. Try adjusting the contrast or turning the backlight off.
davidmc36 is offline Find More Posts by davidmc36
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2015, 09:46 AM
Lou
Find More Posts by Lou
Lou
Ground Penetration Tester
United States, VA, Waynesboro
Joined Dec 2005
6,184 Posts
Hello David ... yeah, I saw that late last night after my previous post. I was in the manual at Programming Examples and it really does not say. Went to page 114 and the manual makes a passing comment about C1 being channel 1. Going to be a steep learning curve I suppose.

The useability of the manual is quite lacking; it has a lot of information but it is not in a flow where someone can sit down with the manual, pick up the TX and actually program a model for the first time. It reminds me a lot of the Multiplex manual that came with my Evo 12; lots of information but you had to go to three places in the manual to understand something. I actually found the Evo 12, from the start, more intuitive to program than the MC-20.

I think a part of the problem is that Graupner thinks everyone of us are familiar with their jargon and way of thinking. Fact is, most nearly none of the potential U.S. customers are familiar with Graupner. A prime example is Graupner uses 'Desolving a Bond' to reference 'unbinding' a RX and TX combination. Maybe that is a loss of translational clarity between written languages and maybe it is just the arrogance of naming a process something different so a product line will stand out?

I did notice that after I 'attached' a switch to Rudder dual rate there were not an obvious way to remove the switch in the menu. If it is not obvious then the user is confused. I am confused. Why would someone make it clearly obvious how to set the switch but then make the user read the manual for an hour to find out how to unset the switch?

So far the Graupner experience ( current buzz word ) is a 2 out of 10. I won't give up on the MC-20 just yet but I also do not have any expectations to have a 2m Sprite programmed for this weekend. Much less a simple 5 channel ALES glider.
Lou is offline Find More Posts by Lou
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 28, 2015, 10:25 AM
Find More Posts by davidmc36
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
4,147 Posts
Not a great manual true. The only good manual for RC that I have seen was when I was thinking about an Airtronics SD-10G, it's actually written with good flow. Like just about anything I am going to buy I download a manual and read extensively before hitting the "Buy" button. I found it just about necessary to read the manual front to back about three times then the disconnected info comes together. By that time I was just glossing over the MC-16 references that are interjected.

To remove something like a switch assignment, just highlight it again and touch the UP and DOWN arrows of the right keypad simultaneously. That is used for clearing things.
davidmc36 is offline Find More Posts by davidmc36
Old Apr 28, 2015, 03:16 PM
Find More Posts by Eric Henderson
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2005
1,635 Posts
SUMD with NAZE32

My son sent me a box full of parts to build a Mini Mamba for my b'day. Then he proceded to build his first. Caught him up yesterday and tested/flew it before him :-) Mine is configured with a GR18 RX, (was going to use the 12 but I needed some external RX controlled switches for head and leg lights and the VTX power source. Don't need headlights when using camera. Don't need camera when flying LOS but I do need lights !!!! :-)

I am pleased to report that the GR18 did just great with SUMD set as the feed wire to the NAZE 32 board. The firmware in the Rx/TX forced me to use ch6 for SUMD and I used ch9 for the LIPO telemetry LIPO sensor. The NAZE board has its own "chirpy"warnings if you are close enough to hear them.I also have, and I have the OSD etc. on my ground station, but I like an early audible voltage reading from my TX on almost everything I fly. I set LIPO low warning value a bit higher than the NAZE. It's like being one step ahead of the problem to come - I also like to hear it close to me!

Eric
Eric Henderson is offline Find More Posts by Eric Henderson
Last edited by Eric Henderson; Apr 28, 2015 at 03:28 PM.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 07:38 PM
Lou
Find More Posts by Lou
Lou
Joined Dec 2005
6,184 Posts
Sigh .... from bad to worse. Apparently holding down the ESC and SET at the same time puts the TX into BRICK mode. Somehow recovered from that after a few power on and offs and pressing the ESC / directional arrows. Then upgraded to latest firmware and the BRICK mode has returned.

In short, the Key Lock icon does not go away.

Is there a procedure to restore to factory default settings?

ETA:: problem cleared after re-flashing the FW.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Lou; Apr 28, 2015 at 08:08 PM. Reason: reflash info
Old Apr 28, 2015, 09:11 PM
Find More Posts by Graupner USA
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Oct 2013
1,174 Posts
Brick mode does no exist.

When you press the ESC & SET buttons simultaneously the radio locks the keys. Doing the same again unlocks the keys.

No need for a firmware update.
Graupner USA is offline Find More Posts by Graupner USA
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 28, 2015, 09:47 PM
Lou
Find More Posts by Lou
Lou
Joined Dec 2005
6,184 Posts
BRICK mode do exist. It is what happens with the TX is locked and will not unlock. Well, OK ... the lights were on so maybe it was a soft BRICK mode? Maybe it was a MARSHMELLOW mode?

Reflashing the FW fixed the problem.

Now, BRICK mode is a tongue in cheek way of saying the TX is locked up. None the less, it was also all hosed up; the lock would not remove and the ESC / SET did not work. Even removed the battery and that did not help.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Lou; Apr 28, 2015 at 09:54 PM.
Old May 01, 2015, 08:32 PM
Find More Posts by Gadget99
Missouri
Joined May 2010
88 Posts
I just updated my GR-24 Pro via the manual slow flyer/gyro receiver down loader with a file from tech support.
The process finished but the led's flashed. Does that mean the process was complete?
I then powered down the receiver, and disconnected the data transfer wire. I powered up the receiver while holding in the set button to do a reset to the new firmware.

Is this correct? I know the GR-24 pro requires a different update procedure than other receivers.
Gadget99 is offline Find More Posts by Gadget99
Old May 01, 2015, 10:21 PM
Joined Oct 2013
1,174 Posts
Just bind it to the TX and see if it works. Blinking light should stop after binding.
Site Sponsor
Old May 02, 2015, 08:49 AM
Find More Posts by Pierre_A
Joined Nov 2014
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Henderson View Post
My son sent me a box full of parts to build a Mini Mamba for my b'day. Then he proceded to build his first. Caught him up yesterday and tested/flew it before him :-) Mine is configured with a GR18 RX, (was going to use the 12 but I needed some external RX controlled switches for head and leg lights and the VTX power source. Don't need headlights when using camera. Don't need camera when flying LOS but I do need lights !!!! :-)

I am pleased to report that the GR18 did just great with SUMD set as the feed wire to the NAZE 32 board. The firmware in the Rx/TX forced me to use ch6 for SUMD and I used ch9 for the LIPO telemetry LIPO sensor. The NAZE board has its own "chirpy"warnings if you are close enough to hear them.I also have, and I have the OSD etc. on my ground station, but I like an early audible voltage reading from my TX on almost everything I fly. I set LIPO low warning value a bit higher than the NAZE. It's like being one step ahead of the problem to come - I also like to hear it close to me!

Eric
Eric,
don't know which firmware you're using with your Naze, but I have coded this warning in Cleanflight recently (already merged and will be in the next v1.9.0). So that no more need of a Lipo sensor, you'll hear the warning beep (or voice alarm) coming from the naze on your TX.
see : https://github.com/cleanflight/cleanflight/issues/702
Pierre_A is online now Find More Posts by Pierre_A
Old May 02, 2015, 09:23 AM
Find More Posts by Gadget99
Missouri
Joined May 2010
88 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graupner USA View Post
Just bind it to the TX and see if it works. Blinking light should stop after binding.
Yes it does. I just wanted to be sure before I risked an airplane with the receiver.

Gadget
Gadget99 is offline Find More Posts by Gadget99
Old May 02, 2015, 10:50 AM
Find More Posts by pherasi1
Citizen #188
United States, NY, Goshen
Joined Feb 2009
11 Posts
On April 14th Graupner posted that the OPTO ESC were taken of the site due to a minor fix. I then asked if I would have to send my new 80 A Opto in for service. There was no response, I then followed up again with no response.

Thanks
pherasi1 is offline Find More Posts by pherasi1
Old May 02, 2015, 04:51 PM
Find More Posts by Eric Henderson
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2005
1,635 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre_A View Post
Eric,
don't know which firmware you're using with your Naze, but I have coded this warning in Cleanflight recently (already merged and will be in the next v1.9.0). So that no more need of a Lipo sensor, you'll hear the warning beep (or voice alarm) coming from the naze on your TX.
see : https://github.com/cleanflight/cleanflight/issues/702
I'll take look at it - Thanx for the info.

Eric.
Eric Henderson is offline Find More Posts by Eric Henderson
Old May 02, 2015, 05:34 PM
Joined Oct 2013
1,174 Posts
It appears that only the 160A ESC may need that fix. PM me your email used when ordering the 80A OPTO and I will put you on a list just in case.

The 80A OPTO I have been using on my airplanes for over a year now have been working flawlessly. If you are flying helis you will be impressed with the governor response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pherasi1 View Post
On April 14th Graupner posted that the OPTO ESC were taken of the site due to a minor fix. I then asked if I would have to send my new 80 A Opto in for service. There was no response, I then followed up again with no response.

Thanks
Site Sponsor
Old Yesterday, 07:55 PM
Find More Posts by daniel moura
Joined May 2012
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Henderson View Post
Here is a couple of ways.

On my Mz-24 I use 4A2F (4 ailerons, 2 flaps).

Then go to servo display and I can see channels 2, 5, 11 and 12 when I move tthe aileron stick.

OR

Choose 1A and go to Ch set.
Touch ch-5 and move aileron sticl
Touch ch-6 and move aileron stick
Touch ch-7 and move aileron stick

Either way you can set each channel direction, end point and centering one at a time.
Eric.
Eric,

The second option work if you dont use the exp resource, Only work D/R, and in first option you lost 2 channels for flap functions !

Daniel
daniel moura is offline Find More Posts by daniel moura