HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 26, 2014, 05:06 PM
It can be fixed!
United States, NH, Nashua
Joined Mar 2014
229 Posts
Discussion
VisionAire or PA Addiction X

Coming from a old school nitro powered stick planes for fun fly contests back in the 90's. I had 15 years off from the hobby and got back in last year. Bought a a my first foam plane a Visionaire to get back into the local fun fly contests and did well with it. I really like flying 3D and want to do more and more.. i'm hooked.

So I just bought a Twisted Hobbies Crack Yak 55 to do more in the yard and a PA XR52.

I sold the Visionaire to guy at my club just before Christmas just because...

I have been thinking of going with the Addiction X to replace it but would it be to light for general contests that require flying in all weather conditions and taking chances to win bragging rights?

Would you get another VisionAire that you know works or spend a lot on beautiful Addiction X . I'm not worried about the edge to win as the Parkzone VisionAire almost always places here. I like the looks and quality of the PA but don't want to be floating all over when it's blowing 25 mph winds, snowing and raining. I also want it hold up to banging touch n go contests and balloon busts and limbo stuff.
Yazz is offline Find More Posts by Yazz
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2014, 06:27 PM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
United States, OH, Bristolville
Joined Oct 2010
4,762 Posts
balsa will always fly better. I flew a visionar once. As a 3D pilot, I did not feel the visionar flew 3D that well. take a look at 3Dhobby Shop and their 48'' birds. I think the 47'' extra or 48'' edge would be a good plane for you. Not the biggest fan of PA.
3Daddict is offline Find More Posts by 3Daddict
Old Dec 26, 2014, 08:04 PM
3D Hack
United States, IL, Glen Carbon
Joined Jul 2010
2,022 Posts
Go to Twisted Hobbys and buy any one of the RC Factory 48" planes. EPP takes a licking and keeps on ticking. I love my RCF 48" Sbach. I fly it in winds that ground most other pilots.

JC
JC Spohr is online now Find More Posts by JC Spohr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: About Me
Old Dec 26, 2014, 09:40 PM
Watch it...Watch it ...Duck!
San Dimas, CA
Joined Nov 2009
211 Posts
The Addiction X is an amazing 3D plane! You wont be disappointed. I love to fly mine in the wind, more so than any of my other 3D planes. I'm not a very good 3D pilot, but the Addy X makes it much easier for me. Kinda like bowling with alley bumpers.
full flaps is offline Find More Posts by full flaps
Old Dec 26, 2014, 10:11 PM
ไม่เป็นไร
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2013
222 Posts
I have owned both, each one fly's different.
I'd say the Visonaire is faster and much more suitable for dynamic 3D than the ADX.
I found that the ADX was a very precise and much more of a floater.
Depending on your flying style you wont be disappointed with either one.
highonthai is offline Find More Posts by highonthai
Old Dec 27, 2014, 12:35 AM
It can be fixed!
Joined Mar 2014
229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by full flaps View Post
The Addiction X is an amazing 3D plane! You wont be disappointed. I love to fly mine in the wind, more so than any of my other 3D planes. I'm not a very good 3D pilot, but the Addy X makes it much easier for me. Kinda like bowling with alley bumpers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by highonthai View Post
I have owned both, each one fly's different.
I'd say the Visonaire is faster and much more suitable for dynamic 3D than the ADX.
I found that the ADX was a very precise and much more of a floater.
Depending on your flying style you wont be disappointed with either one.
Thanks guys for you review of the Adx in the wind and the difference owning both. That is exactly what i was looking for.. what about landing gear strength for quick touch and gos when the adrenaline is running high.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 12:50 AM
It can be fixed!
Joined Mar 2014
229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Daddict View Post
balsa will always fly better. I flew a visionar once. As a 3D pilot, I did not feel the visionar flew 3D that well. take a look at 3Dhobby Shop and their 48'' birds. I think the 47'' extra or 48'' edge would be a good plane for you. Not the biggest fan of PA.
I agree balsa flys better for my past experiences and 3d is no exception with that rule. You obviously are a supporter of the 3D Hobbyshop stuff.. lots of people here are.. That says something. but I have a expensive 3D plane. I'm looking for a floater but handles the wind and will loop and roll fast and flys fast and slow.. a fun fly beater but looks nice too..

Visionaire fit the bill but I hate foam and it's 3D wasn't great. That why the Addiction X can to mind. If it handles wind as good as a Visionaire and the landing gear holds up it may be a option.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 01:21 AM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
United States, OH, Bristolville
Joined Oct 2010
4,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yazz View Post
I agree balsa flys better for my past experiences and 3d is no exception with that rule. You obviously are a supporter of the 3D Hobbyshop stuff.. lots of people here are.. That says something. but I have a expensive 3D plane. I'm looking for a floater but handles the wind and will loop and roll fast and flys fast and slow.. a fun fly beater but looks nice too..

Visionaire fit the bill but I hate foam and it's 3D wasn't great. That why the Addiction X can to mind. If it handles wind as good as a Visionaire and the landing gear holds up it may be a option.
the 3dhs 48'' edge is vary floaty when you want it to be and aggressive when you want also. best of both worlds.
3Daddict is offline Find More Posts by 3Daddict
Old Dec 27, 2014, 01:33 AM
It can be fixed!
Joined Mar 2014
229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Daddict View Post
the 3dhs 48'' edge is vary floaty when you want it to be and aggressive when you want also. best of both worlds.
Thanks, but that's kind of in the xr52 class. I'm wanting a big thick wing 3d plane the strong and light for contests. these two I picked out are like grand children of the old Midwest Super Hots but are electric, have a much lighter wing loading and have huge control surfaces for 3D.
Last edited by Yazz; Dec 27, 2014 at 10:08 AM.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 01:38 AM
San Dimas, CA
Joined Nov 2009
211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yazz View Post
what about landing gear strength for quick touch and gos when the adrenaline is running high.
The Addiction X lands very easily because it flys soooo slow. I've had more issues with prop strikes on landing than breaking gear due to the very long prop. The gear flexes easily and there's not much prop clearance when your on the mains. The AddyX is a very slow flyer which may be unsuitable for some precision style contests. The 3DHS 48"Edge which 3Daddict suggested would work well also. Hard to go wrong from any of the big 3 (3DHS, Extreme Flight, or Precision Aerobatics).
Old Dec 28, 2014, 12:41 PM
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Nov 2012
2,289 Posts
No wind
10 13 2014 Low flat spins with Hover Landing with VA (3 min 5 sec)
dalecheek1 is offline Find More Posts by dalecheek1
Old Dec 28, 2014, 12:43 PM
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Nov 2012
2,289 Posts
WIND 5 TO 8mph
10 10 2014 FUN IN SMALL BACKYARD WITH VA (3 min 38 sec)
dalecheek1 is offline Find More Posts by dalecheek1
Old Dec 29, 2014, 12:39 AM
San Dimas, CA
Joined Nov 2009
211 Posts
Nice flying Dale, and I like your yard too!
Old Dec 29, 2014, 01:53 PM
It can be fixed!
Joined Mar 2014
229 Posts
Quote:
The Addiction X lands very easily because it flys soooo slow. I've had more issues with prop strikes on landing than breaking gear due to the very long prop. The gear flexes easily and there's not much prop clearance when your on the mains. The AddyX is a very slow flyer which may be unsuitable for some precision style contests. The 3DHS 48"Edge which 3Daddict suggested would work well also. Hard to go wrong from any of the big 3 (3DHS, Extreme Flight, or Precision Aerobatics).
Ok so if we had to do something risking a prop strike, a smaller diameter prop for that one event or so bigger wheels might help.

I would love to video of it flying low in high wind.. I'm going to youtube and do some searches.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 01:56 PM
It can be fixed!
Joined Mar 2014
229 Posts
Quote:
Nice flying Dale, and I like your yard too!
I second that.. but i had visionaire and know the plane is capable, i just hate the flying coffee cup look.. it's the comparisons i'm looking for.