HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 27, 2015, 08:11 PM
Joined Jan 2012
698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doggs View Post
Yeah, that's how I'm looking at it now. With the FuBar, it's actually just on the point of wagging at 43%, so to all intents and purposes, the FuBar flies the same as the yellow Kbar, but it's a great fit under the Forza canopy, and that's where it's going to stay.

I was also impressed by the FuBar setup - using the TX model memory for the Kbar, I only had to change a couple of ATV's by one percentage point, all the sub-trims were the same.

Some people worry that JR might stop making the Forza - but to my mind, it's such a great heli that there's just no reason for them to do so. It compares favourably with all the other 480 size (360 blades) helis that I can think of, whilst being lighter and simpler than all of them.
I suspect if JR was dropping the 450, then they'd be blowing out remaining inventory at the earlier sale prices.

I'm curious to see how it compares to my Titan E360. I really have to get my Forza built. I can safely say that servo-wise, the E360 appears much easier to work on. Nothing has to be removed to swap the servos on that one.
OrbitalGolem is offline Find More Posts by OrbitalGolem
Last edited by OrbitalGolem; Jan 27, 2015 at 08:29 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 06:28 PM
Joined Aug 2014
153 Posts
There is too much overlap from the 450 to the newly introduced 450EX for the thing to have become obsolete.
Likely they will amortize the cost of the 450 plastic injection molds for as long as possible. Electronic products go obsolete pretty rapidly, but mechanics have a longer shelf-life.
Consumer tastes change faster. With good electronics the multi-rotors will open new markets, photography etc, with people that would never consider a helicopter which takes a lot of skill a patience to learn to handle.
I'd like to see much better electronics in these things.
sp.nn is offline Find More Posts by sp.nn
Old Yesterday, 06:55 PM
Melbourne,Australia
Joined Nov 2004
192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp.nn View Post
I'd like to see much better electronics in these things.
Can I ask what you mean by better? The combo electronics in mine have been faultless and by far the easiest/best heli I have ever setup? With a XG14 I cant imagine a better 450 size bird. I am interested to see what problems have you encountered with the supplied electronics?
burbler is offline Find More Posts by burbler
Old Yesterday, 10:11 PM
Joined Aug 2014
153 Posts
It is in my post.
If you can't imagine... Well many can, and have. I suppose you never crashed?
What features does iKon, Skookum, Naza, CC3D, HeliCommand, MSH-brain, Vbar6.0 have that TAGs et al do not?
Old Yesterday, 10:37 PM
Melbourne,Australia
Joined Nov 2004
192 Posts
Actually crashed again last week and looks like I stripped another set of servo gears and smashed up a set of blades which is par for the course with any heli I would expect? Still not sure what deficiencies you are inferring the supplied electronics have?
Old Yesterday, 10:58 PM
Joined Aug 2014
153 Posts
Are your expectations low?
Old Yesterday, 11:41 PM
Joined Jan 2012
698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp.nn View Post
It is in my post.
If you can't imagine... Well many can, and have. I suppose you never crashed?
What features does iKon, Skookum, Naza, CC3D, HeliCommand, MSH-brain, Vbar6.0 have that TAGs et al do not?
At the $299 price point, no need for a better gyro. Both of my Forzas were the combos without TAGS, but I'm still not complaining for the $250 I paid for each. I'll be throwing BeastX on both anyway. I have high expectations for JR's servo quality and hoping it doesn't disappoint. I'm sure the electronics quality of the Forza (or any of the ARF Thunder Tiger helis like my E360) are light years ahead of that on a stock Blade 300 CFX or 450X, where I went through five stock elevator servos in less than 200 flights before finally changing to a different brand/model.

Now, being back at the previous price point before the fall sale, yes, the Forza 450 is hideously overpriced for what you get, taking the electronics into account. That's not to say that TAGS is a bad FBL system. Flying BeastX I've accepted that I don't have all the latest auto-level features of some of the other FBL systems, but not having auto-leveling keeps fear in the equation when I'm flying 3D.

Regarding the electronics on helis these days not making flight any easier than it was back in, say, 2011 or 2012, I'm very glad that the average Joe, who would otherwise not have any hesitation trying a drone or multi-rotor, might think twice after crashing a heli on their first attempt after realizing that significant time and money to build skills will be necessary. All we need in this hobby is some moron flying a heli into the White House grounds and crashing like what happened several days ago with the drone. The skill level for flying helis is high enough to prevent that from happening, I hope.
OrbitalGolem is offline Find More Posts by OrbitalGolem
Last edited by OrbitalGolem; Today at 12:03 AM.
Old Yesterday, 11:51 PM
Melbourne,Australia
Joined Nov 2004
192 Posts
Nope, but when you plough into the dirt at high speed doing a tail slide from a 100m+ (I did manage to level out a little) and only snap both blades off at the root and strip a set of consumable servo gears, I certainly aint complaining. Just like last crash, I wont even have to rat out any spares from my $150 motor only kit in the cupboard.

Haters gonna be haters I suppose and each to their own! I was simply asking what problems you had experienced with the electronics as I am interested? I know there is reported problems with the swash in cold temps but hadn't heard of problems with the electronics?
Old Yesterday, 11:57 PM
Joined Jan 2012
401 Posts
The fbl unit is clunky and the electronics overpriced & antiquated. The 3500G was a keen servo when it was introduced over half a decade ago (Hmmm, maybe longer?).
The Forza @ $150 is a helicopter that competes well at that price point, The end..
Rodo1268 is offline Find More Posts by Rodo1268
Old Today, 12:01 AM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
5,327 Posts
The Gaui X3 basic kit with CNC tail grips is about $210, without a motor, pinion or blades, and really needs a $25 belt tail conversion kit, so $299 doesn't seem that over-priced. Since the Forza is lighter, it's potentially the better heli. Having the one-way bearing in the Forza pinion, along with two radial bearings means that there is zero wobble in the maingear, probably a contributory factor in making the Forza one of the quietest helis on the market.
2Doggs is online now Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Today, 12:07 AM
Joined Jan 2012
401 Posts
The X3 is a FAR FAR better helicopter, and certainly does not need a "belt upgrade"
there's absolutely no comparing the 2
I own both.
There's a very logical reason as to why 90% of the people own this heli, and that would be an unheard of sale price of $150 shipped directly to your door. Ya wanna know why that is? It's because that's what they needed to do to get them to move.
Old Today, 12:32 AM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
5,327 Posts
It doesn't need the belt upgrade, if you're happy with that horrible noise it makes!

I've not flown the X3, tho I've seen plenty of them. It has the fashionable low-mounted battery, but there's not room to fit particularly big packs. The basic X3 seems to have a lot of plastic, and it's not Japanese plastic either. Engineering-wise, the Forza is clearly a better design. But maybe the X3 flies better, tho being heavier is definitely going to work against that. Better for 3 minute flights compared with 4 minutes maybe.

You're right tho, I wouldn't have considered the Forza at $299, but neither would I buy the X3 for $210.
RCG Plus Member
Old Today, 01:26 AM
Joined Jan 2012
401 Posts
You're barking up the wrong tree when talking "plastic", it's by far and away the best plastic on the market, save Mikado.
I agree with you on the less than attractive sound, but truth be told its the steel like plastic that is the main culprit. I've yet to see a main gear chew through an aluminum pinion any faster. It's not my favorite 450 class I own, but it may in fact be the best.
And fwiw, the sound calms down after 25-30 flights. A guy just has to get off the computer and fly it.
Old Today, 07:03 AM
Super Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2012
2,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodo1268 View Post
The fbl unit is clunky and the electronics overpriced & antiquated. The 3500G was a keen servo when it was introduced over half a decade ago (Hmmm, maybe longer?).
The Forza @ $150 is a helicopter that competes well at that price point, The end..
All of the guys who know how to fly 3D have no issues with the TAGS Mini. The only people who complain are wannabes whos only skill is sport flying. Watch any of the videos on YT of JR 3D pilots using the TAGS Mini and tell me you could fly better........right...

Trust me man, at your skill level you're not going to outfly the TAGS Mini...

I always get a good laugh at the nonsense that comes out from some people's mouths when it comes to flybarless controllers. They talk as though they're so good of a pilot that only X brand controller could keep up with them...LMAO....yeah you go ahead and keep on believing that!

Funny how a guy comes into a Forza thread to advertise the greatness of the X3....in his opinion....yet he couldn't do any 3D flying if his life depended on it. You're trying WAY TOO HARD to convince people here that they should've bought an X3 instead of a Forza.

Fact is the X3 is a noisy design. Every video that I've seen of the X3 backs this up. Just because you own both doesn't mean your word has anymore credibility. It's just your opinion dude. We want facts not opinion.

I think now that the prices has gone back up, some people are trying to rationalize why it's supposedly "overpriced" with no actual evidence to back it up. In their mind they want the price to stay low forever because in their mind that's what the kit is worth...LMAO....well hate to break it to you but good luck with your cheap clones because there's no brand name 450 kit that is $150 with a motor....keep on dreaming...maybe it will become true some day...
TheKingPhisher is offline Find More Posts by TheKingPhisher
Last edited by TheKingPhisher; Today at 07:42 AM.
Old Today, 09:04 AM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
5,327 Posts
Horses for courses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodo1268 View Post
You're barking up the wrong tree when talking "plastic", it's by far and away the best plastic on the market, save Mikado.
I agree with you on the less than attractive sound, but truth be told its the steel like plastic that is the main culprit. I've yet to see a main gear chew through an aluminum pinion any faster. It's not my favorite 450 class I own, but it may in fact be the best.
And fwiw, the sound calms down after 25-30 flights. A guy just has to get off the computer and fly it.
I'm happy to hear Gaui plastic has improved since the days of the Hurricane.

You're right about getting off the pc - yesterday I only got one flight, since I forgot to take my other packs with me!

The quietness of the Forza does make it well suited to noise-sensitive sites, and it's an important and worthwhile feature for me.

I do fly my Forza back to back with my MT sometimes - and the fact is, you get used to the way one heli flies. The MT was my go to heli for a long time, and I would have to make conscious adjustments when flying the Forza. Now, it's the other way round. I don't see it as one being better than the other, just different. Mind you, the Forza is quieter (did I mention that? ) and uses less power for any given HS, and seems noticeably faster.

I just wish they did a 500 version with the same layout!
RCG Plus Member