LP , I don't think Nate does RCgroups.
Dragon 2 is offline Find More Posts by Dragon 2
to remove ads between posts
Old May 17, 2015, 08:45 PM
Find More Posts by Mike Furcolow
Paonia, Colorado
Joined Sep 2004
2,593 Posts
There hasn't been much posted here on this site for a few days, so I'll catch up a little.

I've been out on Garvin Mesa almost every day that it wasn't raining (even if we got only a small sunny break on an otherwise cloudy day). The bright sunshine quickly warms the slope, and each day there would be a light, 3-5mph S wind to back it up. On the light days, I would fly the Bird of Time, and on the slope-windy days, I would bring out the Alpina.

The BOT has an amazing ability to stay in the air, even with no apparent lift. It will travel a long way and never seem to lose altitude, and when it finds a little hot air, it makes the most of it. I have to use the spoilers in order to get it to settle down and land. The grass in the LZ is about knee-deep, nice for a gentle landing.

The Alpina is amazing. It's not a thermal plane by any measure, and it likes to carry a lot of speed. I'll climb it up high for openers, then take out the camber and let 'er slide through the air. A couple of pumps gives it the momentum that it craves, and you can milk that forever, even without much lift from the slope--I'm talking about a 3-5mph wind here. Just keep it moving. There is a definite "step" where it loves to reside, and once you get it settled in, it will fly forever. It's an interesting type of flying--lift is produced at low angles of attack, and as long as you keep it there, there's lift everywhere. It's like flying an F3F-design in low-lift conditions--but with an efficient, high-aspect ratio wing, it will just keep producing lift as long as you go fast. It's a little hard to adjust to, but it works. But then, that's what alpine flying is all about. I flew it twice yesterday like that on a cloudy, rainy day.
Mike Furcolow is offline Find More Posts by Mike Furcolow
Old May 18, 2015, 10:51 AM
Find More Posts by berlymahn
Joined May 2015
6 Posts
Looks fantastic. Just started building a BOT kit with my 14 year old. Built two gliders before (ages ago). Looking forward to this (but might hit you all up with some questions.
berlymahn is offline Find More Posts by berlymahn
Old May 18, 2015, 12:26 PM
Find More Posts by chris country
Salida, CO.
Joined Oct 2004
892 Posts
Winds have been from the dreaded SE direction here in Salida the past week rendering most of our favorite spots unflyable. Yesterday was finally back to W-SW and rowdy with winds from 15-25 as predicted. I ripped some nice laps with my Moth up on my DS hill then descended to meet Ed Berg and Josh for some frontside flying. My 2nd Vindicator at 45 ounces is a real treat to fly. It must have covered 50 miles in the hour I flew it. All the mountain bikers passing us were treated to sloping at its' finest and I think we blew some minds with the common refrain "Are you sure it doesn't have a motor?". Back to SE today and time to get cracking on the D80.
chris country is offline Find More Posts by chris country
Old May 18, 2015, 06:15 PM
Paonia, Colorado
Joined Sep 2004
2,593 Posts
Not much wind, but good PM thermals today, Up went the Bird of Time for two long flights. And the landing--kiss the clover.
Old May 19, 2015, 04:55 PM
Find More Posts by tippodriver
Happy, lost in the wine cellar
Montrose, Colorado
Joined Jan 2005
122 Posts
Mike, did you electrify the BOT?
tippodriver is offline Find More Posts by tippodriver
Old May 19, 2015, 05:02 PM
Find More Posts by Rocky Mtn Flier
Just For The Fun Of It
Boulder, CO
Joined Aug 2004
1,046 Posts
Hey Rene:

I have Blue Mesa on my calendar for the weekend of June 19th - 21st. Please confirm the date(s). Also let me know if there's a separate thread on RCG for the event or not.

... Greg
Rocky Mtn Flier is offline Find More Posts by Rocky Mtn Flier
Old May 19, 2015, 05:55 PM
Salida, CO.
Joined Oct 2004
892 Posts
Mike did indeed electrify the BOT a while ago....sounds like it is more than happy to carry a little extra "ballast".
Old May 20, 2015, 08:16 AM
Paonia, Colorado
Joined Sep 2004
2,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tippodriver View Post
Mike, did you electrify the BOT?
Yes, I did.

It was really very simple. I found a source for a fiberglass firewall and a motor that fit perfectly. It will now climb briskly to soaring height in about 20 seconds. There is a HUGE chuck of lead and steel in the nose of the stock Bird of Time which is easily removed, and the net weight gain is almost a wash with the motor/ESC/battery. And it flies........well, like a Bird of Time! Beautiful and graceful.

I also fabricated a spoiler system for the plane, as it does not like to lose altiture and glides forever on landing approach. The spoilers are a great aid for putting it down right where you want it. But, if you have a big field for landing, it's not an issue.

If you're interested, I'll hook you up with lots of info on how to do it. Maybe I'll put together a mini-build log.....
Old May 20, 2015, 12:17 PM
Salida, CO.
Joined Oct 2004
892 Posts
Those spoilers are the Cat's Meow! Have Mike turn you on to the nice, cheap Turnigy motor he is using in the BOT. I've got one in my Orion and it's the best $36 spent ever.

Finally getting around to putting some work into the D80 with this crummy weather we've been having. Yesterday I got two plates of lead ballast poured at 16 oz. each, will hold off on a third plate until I've had some time with the beast to see how she carries her weight. The goal is to get the elevator servo and control horn mounted up today. Getting excited here.
Old May 20, 2015, 01:52 PM
Find More Posts by Mountain Soarer
formerly Juddkleinman
Paonia, CO
Joined Oct 2008
469 Posts
We need pictures of that thing!
Mountain Soarer is offline Find More Posts by Mountain Soarer
Old May 20, 2015, 04:25 PM
Salida, CO.
Joined Oct 2004
892 Posts
Judd, every time I try to get a picture of it, it is blurry even sitting still. Hmmm...? It's on the bench, will get some pics out in the next few days. LP is jonesing too.
Old May 21, 2015, 12:12 AM
Find More Posts by Slope P
Santa Fe NM
Joined Jul 2009
1,173 Posts
So you're saying it looks so fast just sitting there on the bench that you can't get a good pic?

Heading out to Greens Peak AZ tomorrow for a bit of slopin. You western CO boyz should come down sometimes.
Slope P is online now Find More Posts by Slope P
Old May 21, 2015, 07:43 AM
Salida, CO.
Joined Oct 2004
892 Posts
Nice looking site LP! How much of a time commitment is that from your place? It is so soggy up here in Salida and you can't hardly buy a west wind...time to keep building.