SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Yesterday, 10:08 AM
Find More Posts by Dick L.
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,664 Posts
Well done, Ted - it's great when planning, building and execution all come together for satisfactory performance. Good luck now, with the final tuning efforts.

Dick
Dick L. is offline Find More Posts by Dick L.
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 10:09 AM
Find More Posts by gpzy
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedFlack View Post
Raced my wood Alternative at our club race last week against nine boats and managed to win the day, my son Bobby was sailing his Britpop and we were really close. I won by one point after 10 races but he was fouled twice (once while leading) which ended up giving me the win, I'll take it though.

I'm still playing with mast rake and sail trim but it is clearly a competitive boat. It will only get faster as I get it tuned and I get used to it.
How do you think the Alternative would do in fiberglass ? I have only seen pics, hopefully I get down to Hansen Dam soon to see her on the water.
gpzy is offline Find More Posts by gpzy
Old Yesterday, 06:13 PM
Find More Posts by TedFlack
United States, MI, Bloomfield Hills
Joined Feb 2010
665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpzy View Post
How do you think the Alternative would do in fiberglass ? I have only seen pics, hopefully I get down to Hansen Dam soon to see her on the water.
Whose boat is that?

As far as performance I would assume it will be the same. Keep in mind that it also depends on how close the plug (or boat in my case the hull) is to the plans. It is quite easy to change the shape slightly whilst sanding, I had a heck of a time keeping the chines exactly per the plans (one swipe with the sandpaper and a sharp chine becomes a soft chine. I ended up making a bunch of templates to make sure the shape was what it was supposed to be. A wood strip boat also tries to change it's shape when it comes off the shadows, I put mine back on the shadows and gave it a little extra time for the glue to dry and added a layer of glass/West System to the outside while it was on the shadows. Plus the amount of corrector weights has a small effect as well.

Dick L-Thanks Dick, it is another part of the hobby that I finally got to enjoy, building your own boat certainly adds to the pleasure.
TedFlack is offline Find More Posts by TedFlack
Old Yesterday, 06:29 PM
Find More Posts by gpzy
Joined Apr 2007
3,350 Posts
Ted not sure if you know Tui from Handen Dam, I believe he is licensed from BG to produce the Alternative. Tui may have met up with BG up at Foster City to show him the boat. The pics above were shared on BGs Twitter feed.
Old Yesterday, 06:33 PM
Find More Posts by TedFlack
United States, MI, Bloomfield Hills
Joined Feb 2010
665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpzy View Post
Ted not sure if you know Tui from Handen Dam, I believe he is licensed from BG to produce the Alternative. Tui may have met up with BG up at Foster City to show him the boat. The pics above were shared on BGs Twitter feed.
Yep, I know Tui. I didn't know he was going to produce them though.
TedFlack is offline Find More Posts by TedFlack
Old Yesterday, 06:37 PM
Find More Posts by gpzy
Joined Apr 2007
3,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedFlack View Post
Yep, I know Tui. I didn't know he was going to produce them though.
I need to double check, but I think he may be producing this hill.