Old Yesterday, 04:22 AM
Find More Posts by jhsa
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elewon View Post
One reason I went with is you get 30 model memory with OpenTx.
Wrong again. Only because it shows space for 30 or 32 models ( not sure) it doesn't mean you can actually put all those models there. The number of models are limited by their complexity and available eeprom space.
Program some complex setups and I can assure you might fit only half of that number It does catch the eye, no doubt about it wow 30 models, the other can have only 16, so the first one must be better.. in reality things don't work that way
And that is why er9x supports models in the voice module's voice card. You must have one of course.
EDIT: Another feature that I love is the ability of using eepe to program my models. You might say " But companion can also do that". Well it can but eepe can connect to your model while you program it and you can see what is happening in real time
You only need your radio and a very cheap piece of hardware to have this feature. An Arduino pro mini 5V 16Mhz board with the ftdi adapter, or an arduino nano that has one already built in, and a jack plug.. load a piece of code to the arduino, setup trainer on your radio and you're good to go
If someone is interested I can post a link to this project.
I used this with a dummy model to make some tutorials about er9x.
jhsa is online now Find More Posts by jhsa
Last edited by jhsa; Yesterday at 04:41 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 07:59 AM
Find More Posts by solentlife
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
10,299 Posts
I have to second that memory limit !!

I put 10 moderate models into my 9xr and had insufficient memory left for another model. Doesn't matter what FW is on the radio - physical memory is physical memory ... My 9xr's are 128's as well ... so not the older 64's.
Bit like your computer ... program says it needs xxx memory to run - but if you have a full desktop ... other stuff running in background - you crap out !!

I'm no super duper programmer as JHSA and others ... but so far I have good success with er9x and the dabbles I have had on my other radios - I have 3 9xr and 2 9x's .... does not convince me to change to openTX.

Nigel
solentlife is online now Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Yesterday, 08:17 AM
Find More Posts by jhsa
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post

I'm no super duper programmer as JHSA and others ...

Nigel
Nigel, I'm not a programmer. I would love to though I struggle to blink a LED Mike is the one that make wonders programming ER9X.
I have just been around using and testing Er9x since nearly the beginning of its development, so I have learnt some stuff. Let me say that I wasn't able to solder a SMD component before and now am able of replacing 64 pin chips

Yeah, even if ER9x has 16 model slots doesn't mean you can program 16 models. But 16 is a more realistic number than 30

Joćo

EDIT: By the way have a look here to see what Mike is cooking at the moment Big changes coming with some new cool features..

http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7028
Last edited by jhsa; Yesterday at 08:22 AM.
Old Yesterday, 09:03 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
10,299 Posts
JHSA .... I bet you can program more than I can !!

To be honest - I don't use half the capability of the 9x let alone the 9xr !

OK ... sorry if this has been covered before ... but I would like to understand what this talk about FrSky mod is ... I use FrSky modules in my gear and never have needed to change anything ... they just work. I do not use telemetry if that's any relevance ?

Second is there a simple description of how to add SD card reader to the 9xr ? Even if its via the programming port ... doesn't need to be built in ... A listing of parts (where to buy ?) whats needed etc. ?

Is there any way to have the pots BEEP when they are centred ? They drive me nuts that I have no idea of position when flying.

Cheers
Nigel
Old Yesterday, 10:25 AM
Find More Posts by sonnier00
United States, TX, Huntsville
Joined Oct 2011
252 Posts
Did I get confused on the last question I was talking about the programs in the PC they will be used to download the th9e file
sonnier00 is online now Find More Posts by sonnier00
Old Yesterday, 10:27 AM
Find More Posts by jhsa
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,822 Posts
Quote:
OK ... sorry if this has been covered before ... but I would like to understand what this talk about FrSky mod is ... I use FrSky modules in my gear and never have needed to change anything ... they just work. I do not use telemetry if that's any relevance ?
The so called frsky mod (or telemetry mod) re-routes the AIL and THR switches to other pins of the processor. Pins 41 and 42 (I think)
The original pins where they are connected (pins 2 and 3) are used for programming the radio (MISO and MOSI) and will be shared with the telemetry data from the frsky module. Obviously if you still had the switches connected to these pins , they would be shorted to ground through a 200 ohm resistor when in the OFF position and could therefore interfere with the serial telemetry signal coming from the frsky module. Have a look here:

http://openrcforums.com/wiki/index.p...port_telemetry

This is for the 9x radio but also applies to the 9XR radio. I believe that on the 9XR radio there are some pads that connect to pins 41 and 42 making it easier to reroute the switches without having to solder to the CPU pins..
There are 2 ways of doing this. With level converter, and without level converter.
I DO NOT recommend the mod without the level converter as you will have to do some fine soldering and some track cutting to the RF module. Another good reason to use the level converter is that one day if you decide to use a newer frsky XJT module, it will work..

The mod with the level converter is a bit easier and if you don't want you don't have to solder the 2 resistors inside the RF module. You just make a little hole on the back of the radio to pass the wires and connect a servo plug to the module's serial connector. The other end connects to the level converter, and the level converter connects to pin 2 and 3 of the processor using a resistor on one of the wires. Not as pretty as modding the module to use pin 2 and 5 in the module bay, but you don't actually have to mess with opening the RF module and soldering to it.
The problem with the 9XR radio is the lack of space inside the tx.

Quote:
Second is there a simple description of how to add SD card reader to the 9xr ? Even if its via the programming port ... doesn't need to be built in ... A listing of parts (where to buy ?) whats needed etc. ?
You need the voice module. The models are stored on the voice module's SD Card as I said on my post above. There is a commercial version you can buy but I'm not sure it fits inside the 9XR
I did make a little project building a voice module using a cheap arduino board and a SD Card module using 2 little boards made out of some stripboard. The reason I split the voice module in two was an attempt to make it fit the 9XR while keeping the whole thing easier to build using through hole components. I don't have a 9XR but a friend of mine made some dummy boards of the same size with some cardboard and placed them inside his radio. He says that it might fit. He can comment on this because he follows this thread.
Here is a link to the project page. I would like to thank Mike again for changing the voice module's code so it would support the arduino board and make this possible.

http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6831

Quote:
Is there any way to have the pots BEEP when they are centred ? They drive me nuts that I have no idea of position when flying.

Cheers
Nigel
Yes, of course.. Go to Model Setup Index/General and scroll down to "Beep Cnt".
Highlight the sticks or Pots you want to beep when at center, by pressing the menu button..

Joćo
Last edited by jhsa; Yesterday at 10:45 AM.
Old Yesterday, 10:37 AM
Find More Posts by jhsa
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnier00 View Post
Ok I did the radio settings, heli and templates where the only checked boxes. then I flashed the TX. (opentx-9xr128-heli-templates-en-2.0.17) The switches are working right now. I had tryed to flash one that had the heli, templet and DMS2 and or ardupilot checked but the 2 switches stayed on like the frsky flash (sorry about frysky and frsky I meant frsky). I under stand that there is a frsky mod need to make telem. work, is there mod need for DMS2 and ardupilot as well?
I believe the ardupilot implementation also use the telemetry mod and I think that was the reason the switches were always ON. The firmware was expecting to see them connected to pins 41 and 42 of the processor and not to the original pins 2 and 3.

Quote:
I may be using er9x, the OpenTX or the old Companion 9x has nothing to do with what firmware I use in the TX right?

and that would be th9x.bin ??
If you want to use ER9X, use eepe to flash it. If you want openTX use companion to flash it. Don't mix them as they are no longer compatible. In both cases use eepe or companion to download the firmware for the radio, and install it.

Joćo
Old Yesterday, 11:29 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
10,299 Posts
Tks JHSA ...

Basically FrSky mod is not necessary for me as I do not use Telemetry ... I have both DJT & V8JT modules fitted and they work fine with default radios.

SD Card ... ok ... I think I will stick with eePe !! to record and save my model files !!

Nigel
Old Yesterday, 11:40 AM
Find More Posts by jhsa
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,822 Posts
This is very good for people using the 9x radio with the original m64 chip, that has half the eeprom memory. By using the Voice module's sd card to save models you wouldn't need a PC at the field if you have many models.. Just load the one you want to fly to an empty model slot.. The original m64 might allow you to have around 8 models depending on how complex they are.
Old Yesterday, 11:43 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
10,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsa View Post
This is very good for people using the 9x radio with the original m64 chip, that has half the eeprom memory. By using the Voice module's sd card to save models you wouldn't need a PC at the field if you have many models.. Just load the one you want to fly to an empty model slot.. The original m64 might allow you to have around 8 models depending on how complex they are.
Is there any way to upgrade to a higher chip in any of these radios ? Or to add additional memory ?

Nigel
Old Yesterday, 11:59 AM
Find More Posts by geofrancis
nothing is unfixable
United Kingdom, Scotland, North Ayrshire
Joined Feb 2010
1,176 Posts
Quote:
Is there any way to upgrade to a higher chip in any of these radios ? Or to add additional memory ?

Nigel
you can upgrade m64's to m128 for extra memory
geofrancis is offline Find More Posts by geofrancis
Old Yesterday, 12:03 PM
Find More Posts by jhsa
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,822 Posts
Yes, you can replace the chip. Not an easy task if you're not familiar with fine soldering. I have a 9x with an Atmega 2561, and another with an Atmega 128. This one will also be replaced by a 2561 soon.
The Atmega 128 has the double of the flash memory and eeprom of the Atmega 64. The Atmega2561 also doubles the RAM.

Joćo