HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 26, 2006, 11:38 PM
Manassas, VA
Joined Dec 2005
489 Posts
Yippee!
QF II and a new DLG flyer

Paul,
I posted a report yesterday on the first flights of one of my two QF IIs in another thread in hand launch. Today I flew the airplane again and wanted to make sure you got this report. It was a cool 62 at lunch time and I wanted to continue to trim out the bird. The first launch I made was not too high (this is my first attempt at DLG) and I succeeded in breaking the stab and elevator pretty badly on landing. I had not glassed them on this one because I didn't think I would be making 100'+ launches. CAed it back together. On about the 8th flight I picked up a bubble at about 35' or so and rode it up a couple of hundred feet for a flight of about 5 minutes. Mind you, I have thermaled many a sailplane and free flight model, but the feeling was just incredible with this flight!
The QF II is obviously a good design and the Laser Art kits make building one easy. Thanks for the product. BTW, I am 55 and my arm still feels like its in one piece. I am hooked on DLG and the QF II. I can hardly wait for lunch tomorrow - 74 d F predicted! Attached is a photo my QF IIs right after building.
balsaaddict is offline Find More Posts by balsaaddict
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 26, 2006, 11:51 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Australia, QLD, Charters Towers
Joined Dec 2003
17,398 Posts
Phil,

-two- QFII's ... Was that to make sure you'd keep flying even if you busted one up completely?

When you start getting more adventurous and finding that you're topping out at about 90~100ft, you might want to put a block of shaped balsa on the rear of the QFII fuselage to help cut down on the drag (or just some shaped and covered foam even).

Excellent to hear that you managed a good thermal flight on your first outing, I would say that your existing gliding/FF experience helped quite a bit here.

Where abouts is your CG ?

How are you finding the turning performance?

Paul.
PLD is offline Find More Posts by PLD
Old Apr 27, 2006, 05:14 PM
Manassas, VA
Joined Dec 2005
489 Posts
Paul,
I thought that I would probably breakup the airplane early on, but I've found that throwing is not to difficult. That is to say throwing well is difficult, but I have found that the airplane will get up high enough for me to gain control and correct a bad launch. Besides the price for the short kits was almost nothing.

The Cg is, as far as I can tell right on the plans location. This is 2 3/16" approx. from the leading edge. In our weird measurement system. I don't have a fancy Cg balancer - just my thumb and index finger. I do have a lump of clay struck on the stab, which I will change when I find the time. AUW is 221 grams.

I do have some foam and will fit the streamline taper to the back of the fuselage later tonight.

I find the airplane responds well in the turns, if you keep the speed up. But... you will stall the airplane in a thermal turn if you carry too much speed into the upwind entry. What I do is apply a small amount of down elevator as the airplane swings around into the upwind half of the circle. If I miss it the nose will pitch up and I will stall. If I get it right the airplane will climb nicely.

Today I flew at lunch again, but had to use the "back" fields in the park I fly from. This area is surrounded by trees and grass areas. I did manage to pick up a thermal right on launch on the last flight of the day. I think I did about the same time as yesterday around 5 minutes. The air was more turbulent and I stalled a lot in the thermal. Also, I did not want to get too far down wind because once you leave the small area there are just trees, trees and more trees.

One note, I am very surprised at how far I can see the "transparent" airplane. The next one will be covered in polycover transparent red though.
Old May 22, 2006, 09:19 PM
Manassas, VA
Joined Dec 2005
489 Posts
CG on the QF2

Moved the cg back on my QF2 today. Hadn't flown it for awhile due to work and weather restrictions. It was very gusty today, but needed a DLG "fix". The airplane flew great! Not long due to the wind, but when I launched during lull times it hung up there much better and with much less uptrim. The turning response was also much better. It was more sensitive to pitch, but that is to be expected. The cg is about 4-6 mm behind the plan location approx. It has be hard to balance on my balancer because the laminating material that covers the wing is so slick and the balance point is near the area where the cf and balsa sheeting meet.
I will try to fly tomorrow - winds should be lighter.
Is this similar to others experiences?
Old May 22, 2006, 09:46 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,398 Posts
BalsaAddict,

The CG location on the plan is a "conservative" option, from which people can work back from (as you have).

If you have expo rates on your TX then pushing the CG back can be quite rewarding as you then get the high response (and indicators) in flight but you also still have control.

Got any videos/photos?

Paul.
Old May 24, 2006, 09:49 PM
Manassas, VA
Joined Dec 2005
489 Posts
Knocked down, but not out

Oh no! Broke up the first of my QF2s today pretty badly. Went out to fly in the morning, winds were light and I thought I would see how my new cg location worked without the winds we have been experiencing here lately. The first flights were beautiful. I was flying off of a small slope between two sets of soccer fields (futbol?). The light wind was blowing right up the slope and made for a small band of lift, just enough to delay landing for a few extra seconds in the thermal-less morning. Somehow I managed to break the center section of the wing.

I have patched it all back together. Replaced the stab and elevator that I had previously broken. I replaced it with 3/32" balsa and glassed it with polyacrylic and 3/4 oz. glass. Probably a mistake - the wgt went from 220 grams to just over 226. Oh well, Paul Naton said that he learned more from flying a heavy patched up glider than from the high performance ships. I want to just fly and fly this one until it is completely shot. Still learning to launch and trim. It is a shame that I broke it in the morning though, looked like lots of lift at lunch time!
Old May 24, 2006, 10:21 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,398 Posts
BalsaAddict,

Ag no, that's horrible when that happens - especially after a nice flight. Don't worry too much about the weight. I find the QFII tends to fly fine until it gets over 240g at which point it becomes more of a sloper than a DLG

Hope your subsequent flights are better. Got any new pictures?

Paul.
Old May 26, 2006, 02:14 AM
Fullerton, California, United States
Joined Apr 2002
344 Posts
side question

several QFII threads, so i thought i would ask it here since there was some comment on weight.

what if the weight of your wing? i am building my QFII and it is a bit lop sided in weight, unfortunately the peg still has to go on the side that is heavier.

just want to know what the average might be for the wing. this way i know how much sanding i have to do

neal
fleanme is offline Find More Posts by fleanme
Old May 26, 2006, 02:57 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,398 Posts
80~90g is a typical weight for the wing (uncovered). If you sand down the D-box you can drop the weight to 75g.

Paul.
Old May 29, 2006, 04:15 PM
Manassas, VA
Joined Dec 2005
489 Posts
Weight is creeping up. Mine too. QF2 weighs close to 235 grams. But I flew it today and had three great thermal flights .Best one over 5 minutes and very high. Which reminds me - What is a good rate for finding thermals? I flew for over an hour and a half today for the three thermal flights. I would say I'm a rather poor finder, but the buzzards moved on too.
Am learning to launch straighter and higher. The secret, I think, is to keep your arm straight through the entire launch sequence. Seems that when I do that the airplane doesn't hook and most times climbs well and transitions well.
Old May 29, 2006, 06:24 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,398 Posts
Balsaaddict,

Yes, straight arm = straight launch (unless you hold on for too long!). Good to see you get that one sorted out.

5 minute flights are good, shows that you've definately started to get into the groove of learning to fly the QFII/DLG.

As for thermals, it's really dependent on the day. Some days it seems like you get a thermal every 2nd flight... other days you can throw till your arm falls off without picking up a single one.

Watching the birds definately helps, the trouble is that they usually watch you and come over to investigate, so it confuses matters.

Paul.
Old May 29, 2006, 07:03 PM
Manassas, VA
Joined Dec 2005
489 Posts
Paul,
Yes, I am getting the hang of launching and flying the QF2. I think I may have my cg a little bit too far back, but don't want to add any more wgt to the nose. I may cut out circles in the stab that I glassed this last repair session. The tail does seem to droop a little bit, but I like the indicator when I hit lift. I have to manage the flight all the time especially in the thermal where it will stall if I am not careful, but always fun to see it still climbing after I get it sorted out.
And yes, it depends on the day and conditions. I think I started too late to day. It was 12:30 when I started. I could feel the cycles come through with a lot of cool after the relatively short spans of hot air. My best flight came after I spotted a swirl of dust take off downwind of my launch point. I think if I was flying in a more open site (it was a school soccer field) I would have followed the lift farther downwind. I have a thermal indicator pole with a mylar streamer, but didn't set it up. I don't think it would have mattered much the lift was pretty small until you got up higher and then it seemed that it dissipated pretty quickly.
Get fun any way and whomever compared DLG to eating peanuts was right - just one more launch. Yeah, right!
Old May 29, 2006, 11:49 PM
Joined Apr 2002
344 Posts
attest to the straight arm

finally got my QFII done. it came in at a total of 7.6oz i believe. i am still lopsided in weight but in flight i do not notice anything as of yet.
had some flight time yesterday in some fairly moderate wind, and that was not that great. only got 5 throws in today in some dead air. much more enjoyable.

i am hooking mine quite a bit on launch, but am slowing working my way up to 100% on launch effort. can't wait to fly it more. like what little time i have had on it already

neal
Old Jun 01, 2006, 09:52 PM
Manassas, VA
Joined Dec 2005
489 Posts
hooking on launch

Neal,
Are you using any preset setting for the launch? I don't have a present button on my simple radio, but I have used just a touch of left rudder (I launch lefty). It seems to help keep a lot of my launches straight. I flew the QF2 again today at lunch. It was almost windless and I must say that my launches have steadily improved and I am flying the airplane much better. Its a great plane, turns and handles well. I just have trouble keeping the speed high enough to take full advantage of the airfoil. Also, I broke the wing in the center section again when one of my catches didn't and I hit my shin with the wing. I will repair again, but have the spare ready to cover with some improvements based on my experiences with the first one.
I am hooked! (but trying to keep my launches straight)
Old Jun 01, 2006, 10:47 PM
Joined Apr 2002
344 Posts
no presets

i have the ability, but i have not put any in. only have had a hand full of flights. i had a few straight ones, but i think it is the hook issue.

my boomer, and alula used a different grip, so i am getting used to the different hand hold.

neal