SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 18, 2012, 05:30 PM
Joined Aug 2012
176 Posts
Discussion
Radio Setup Advice

Hello, I'm looking for some advice on what is the best way to control camber changes. I have setup my radio with different flight conditions controlled by toggles and it worked just fine, but i like the idea of variable camber instead of a couple presets. I have also tried a setup with variable camber on the "throttle" stick, It worked fine it would just take awhile to get used too. My other thought is to use the left slider on my 8fg. So, what seems like the best setup. I'm flying electrics and just flying around thermal hunting. Is variable camber really worth it? It seems like it would be worth the extra setup time, but I'm new so I really don't know.
txg8gxp is offline Find More Posts by txg8gxp
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2012, 06:39 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,858 Posts
I use the left slider.
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen
Old Oct 19, 2012, 03:10 AM
Ninja Master
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Feb 2007
1,770 Posts
...and I use the throttle stick. Any of these ways work fine, but if you're flying electrics with the throttle on the throttle stick, then the slider seems best. It's all about what you're used to.
BigSwede is online now Find More Posts by BigSwede
Old Oct 19, 2012, 10:36 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,348 Posts
I put thermal camber, crusie, reflex and launch mixes on switches. They go to the same position every time.

At one time I had them variable but not any more.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Oct 20, 2012, 06:29 AM
Bouras Slope Flyers
Athens, Greece
Joined Mar 2008
480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
I put thermal camber, crusie, reflex and launch mixes on switches. They go to the same position every time.

At one time I had them variable but not any more.
What tx are you using aeajr ? I am trying to do the same in my tx, but I can't find a way. I am using yhe left slider on my jr 9303. I want though to flip the speed switch and have reflex without using the slider.

Thanks
FRIDAY_2008 is online now Find More Posts by FRIDAY_2008
Old Oct 20, 2012, 07:39 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRIDAY_2008 View Post
What tx are you using aeajr ? I am trying to do the same in my tx, but I can't find a way. I am using yhe left slider on my jr 9303. I want though to flip the speed switch and have reflex without using the slider.

Thanks
I have two Futaba 9C Supers.

The 9303 can absolutely do this. That was and is still a very popular radio among competition sailplane pilots. And many of them handle their mixes in a similar fashion to the way I do it.

I could have these things on sliders or dials if I wanted. I don't.

There are TONS of threads and posts on the 9303 in the sailplane forums. I suggest you try some of the search features. If I could have afforded it when I bought the 9Cs I would have gotten the 9303.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 07:40 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,348 Posts
These should be helpful.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hlight=jr+9303
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hlight=jr+9303

I just searched the Sailplane forum for "JR 9303" and found LOTS of threads specific to this radio.

When looking for help with your radio, include the radio make and model in the name of the thread so that people who know that radio can jump in to help.
Last edited by aeajr; Oct 20, 2012 at 07:59 AM.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:24 AM
Bouras Slope Flyers
Athens, Greece
Joined Mar 2008
480 Posts
Many thanks aeajr for your help. Tapatalk seems to miss a search engine
Old Oct 20, 2012, 02:53 PM
Lincoln, NE
Joined May 2005
878 Posts
[QUOTE=FRIDAY_2008
I am trying to do the same in my tx, but I can't find a way. I am using yhe left slider on my jr 9303. I want though to flip the speed switch and have reflex without using the slider.
Thanks[/QUOTE]

Friday,

You have missed a very useful 9303 GLID mode programming feature. In GLID, the elevator, flap and flaperon trims are always flight mode specific. So to do what you want, select a flight mode that you will use for only the reflex condition (mosl likely SPEED) and set your transmitter to it. Use the trim switches to set up the reflex condition you want, either on the ground or in flight. The transmitter will remember the trim settings for this flight mode. Do the same for the other flight modes.

Allan
AWorrest is offline Find More Posts by AWorrest
Last edited by AWorrest; Oct 20, 2012 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Simplify
Old Oct 21, 2012, 05:25 AM
Bouras Slope Flyers
Athens, Greece
Joined Mar 2008
480 Posts
Now I got it clear. I use the trims for each mode, but couldn't think of flap trimming, as I ve never used it in the past.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:13 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Mar 2012
2,818 Posts
I started with camber on switches, but found that there was too big of a change in flight characteristics between "reflex" "normal" "camber".

Then I found out that the RG-15 airfoil doesn't even like reflex and has more drag than in neutral, so maybe that was my problem...

However, I'm happier having a variable control since I can actually control it in-flight. I have since moved camber to the right slider, with flaps-only on the left slider in addition to the preset positions (which I rarely use now). The only drawback to the slider for camber (at least on my Futaba 9C) is that it cannot be set up for "only down". Really?! The slider has a a "center" that gives an audible "beep" when at neutral. However, the slider can be moved quite a bit up and down within a "beep" and create several degreees of camber change. How many full size planes have flaps/camber on a lever that gives full up AND down?! It should be able to be set up for only down movement....but I digress...

So yeah, butterfly/crow on the throttle and camber on a slider. Switches are reserved for on/off of full-span ailerons, full-span camber, and snap-flaps in addition to the 3-way pre-set modes.
cityevader is offline Find More Posts by cityevader
Old Oct 22, 2012, 08:04 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,348 Posts
Of course you can set your 9C slider for only down.

Move your slider all the way up.

Assuming your only going to leave a little for reflex set your subtrim so that the center is well to one end. You will have to play with it.

Now set your control horn onto the servo so the flaps are at neutral.

As you move the slider down the flaps will move. Slider all the way up is neutral flap.

Depends on how you set our end points and your sub trim.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:19 AM
Joined Mar 2012
2,818 Posts
I'm aware that flaps can be mechanically induced to go only one direction of the slider via linkage/servo arm adjustment...but that's silly because the radio should be able to do this electronically.
Why?
Because I still want full throw up and down for full-span ailerons and not be limited mechanically to only down.
Granted, the flaps-as-ailerons don't need to move as much since they're closer to the root and less effective...but still, it's silly that the sliders can't be programmed to have a "neutral point" that can be at the end of travel as well as true neutral.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:44 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,348 Posts
The radio likely can be set-up as you would like, but I have never set up mine that way. I have since moved my camber controlls to switches and disabled the side slider.

When setting up full span flapperonsm on a TD glider that has ailerons and flaps, you usually do not have the flaps moving in an equal amount to the ailerons for thermal duration soaring. This introduces less drag and the inbound nature of flaps do not contribute as much as the ailerons when it comes to roll.

I normally only have the up travel equal to a little more than my reflex settings. If you are into aerobatics you might want more, but I don't find the need. The downward travel is set at 50% of the downward aileron travel.

You can use more than that but you will be introducing more adverse yaw than you gain from the movement of the flaps.

By using aileron to flap mixing ( on the 9C) you can defelct the ailerons less in flight to get the same roll effect, creating less drag and less adverse yaw. For TD soaring the objective of this mix is to minimize the surface deflections although it does add greater roll authority in windy conditions, but again it does it with less surface defelction that would be needed with ailerons alone.

This advice came from Dr. Drela, who designed the airfoils on some of the top competition gliders on the market. My Supras, Blaster DLG and AVA all have Drela airfoils.

On my aileron only gliders, Easy Glider and Sky Runner, I do use the side sliders for flapperons. Here, the center point on the slider is flap neutral. I can move slider up 2 clicks for reflex or all the way for spoilerons. I can move down two clicks for thermal camber or all the way for max landing flapperons. These are all tied to elevator compensation through the flaps to elevator mix.

Hope there is some useful information here.
Last edited by aeajr; Oct 22, 2012 at 10:54 AM.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:57 AM
Joined Mar 2012
2,818 Posts
I agree with most of it...except more down than up aileron/flap is not desireable for the yaw it induces (as you stated). I have full-span ailerons on/off with a switch (same with full-span flaps/camber on another on/off switch). I fly slope and when I want blazingly fast rolls I flick a switch and want full deflection (within reason of course)...hence the desire for the radio to have a "simple programming" additional feature to avoid the limitations of mechanical adjustments.