HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 19, 2012, 02:59 AM
darn you, kakka carrot cake.
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2012
1,018 Posts
Discussion
submerged in water and still running.

damn this eRC micro stik is amazing. i took it out for a flight this morning after 3 days of waiting for the weather to calm down and i was a little rusty and cocky, i did some aerobatics, close calls with the ground and managed to get it stuck in a tree. but the real show was that gut wrenching encounter with the neighbors pool.

just after i got it out of the tree, i went back up the hill to get a few more flights before school but when i was getting the micro stik to return to me, it glided over the fence and then i completely sh*t my pants, real bad.

the sound of the plane plonking into the water made my heart race, i knew a had a costly repair, i would of had to replace all 3 motors, the circuit board and the batterys. i run up, opened the pools gate and saw it floating along the surface, completely submerged, i didn't bother knocking on their door, i just ran to it, got the rake that was laying on some bricks and pulled it out. i didn't know what to think, so i took into the house and blow-dried it for about 10 minutes. i knew that it was probably a waste of time but i didn't care. i went back to my room and connected the spare 150 mili-amp battery to see it mabey one of the servos was working, of maybe it would still pick up the signal. the servos glitched, i had no control over anything but the elevator was stuck in the up position. i knew for sure that i would have to buy some spare parts but i rebinded the transmitter to see if that would help.

it glitched out for a millisecond but then did its "transmitter found" sequence thing. i was so amazed at this point, i checked that the servos worked, the did, then i checked the motor, and that worked as well. then i decided to put in the old battery which was probably full of water, and what do ya know. it functions perfectly. the whole plane is working like its brand new. i am completely amazing with this thing. bloody amazing.

im gonna take it out for a flight now, be right back guys.

WOW lol i just crashed it onto the same neighbors roof! they let me get it down using their ladder. dammit i gotta stop flying in wind.
derpron is offline Find More Posts by derpron
Last edited by derpron; Sep 19, 2012 at 03:59 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 19, 2012, 03:05 AM
Norway
Joined Dec 2007
1,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by colj00 View Post
but the real show was that gut wrenching encounter with the neighbors pool.
Try sea water ...
FLOEY is offline Find More Posts by FLOEY
Old Sep 19, 2012, 03:17 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2012
1,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLOEY View Post
Try sea water ...
it was basically, had lots of salt in it to stop bacteria and algae
Old Sep 19, 2012, 04:14 AM
Glow 😡 no no no
Australia, SA, Evanston Park
Joined Mar 2010
4,715 Posts
Get some electronic parts cleaner and the it a good going ver
aeromaniac is online now Find More Posts by aeromaniac
Old Sep 19, 2012, 04:20 AM
Taranis Tyro...
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
3,726 Posts
Quote:
it was basically, had lots of salt in it to stop bacteria and algae
If that's the case I wouldn't be too confident about the long term prospects of your electronics. Most RC gear will work again if carefully dried out, but corrosion will start to occur fairly quickly (particularly if it was salt water) so I would not be surprised if you start to see issues in a few weeks. Sorry!
MattyB is online now Find More Posts by MattyB
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My OpenTX Taranis templates...
Old Sep 19, 2012, 04:44 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2012
1,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyB View Post
If that's the case I wouldn't be too confident about the long term prospects of your electronics. Most RC gear will work again if carefully dried out, but corrosion will start to occur fairly quickly (particularly if it was salt water) so I would not be surprised if you start to see issues in a few weeks. Sorry!
aww damn, anyway to clean it?
Old Sep 19, 2012, 06:23 AM
Norway
Joined Dec 2007
1,529 Posts
Quote:
aww damn, anyway to clean it?
Hot CLEAN water ... Remove plastic wrapping around ESC to get
out everything.

BUT most likely You've been incredebly lucky. I crashed in
snow with saltwater spray, ESC damaged and motor had to be
rewound. I did not know about the hot water trick then ...

It's important to disconnect as fast as possible and do not connect before
You fell sure the salt water is gone.

Another accident:
I lost a LiPo in deep snow once could not find it then. 2-3 months later
snow gone I found the LiPo it still worked. Flew a few weeks with it
but then suddenly it expired (blister).
FLOEY is offline Find More Posts by FLOEY
Old Sep 19, 2012, 07:58 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2012
1,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLOEY View Post
Hot CLEAN water ... Remove plastic wrapping around ESC to get
out everything.

BUT most likely You've been incredebly lucky. I crashed in
snow with saltwater spray, ESC damaged and motor had to be
rewound. I did not know about the hot water trick then ...

It's important to disconnect as fast as possible and do not connect before
You fell sure the salt water is gone.

Another accident:
I lost a LiPo in deep snow once could not find it then. 2-3 months later
snow gone I found the LiPo it still worked. Flew a few weeks with it
but then suddenly it expired (blister).
are you saying i should pour hot water on it or wipe it with a rag, with hot water on it.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 09:43 AM
Joensuu, Finland
Joined Mar 2002
1,458 Posts
Wiping doesn't accomplish anything. Open any protective plastics and rinse thoroughly with warm water. Salt is the problem, clean fresh water isn't. The idea is to dissolve the salts in the water and flush them away. A soft toothbrush can be used to remove any residue that tries to hide behind components. Once you are sure all salts are removed, you can flush it with alcohol, corrosion-x or something similar to get rid of the water, then air-dry it with mild heat.
jkettu is online now Find More Posts by jkettu
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:01 AM
Bishopville S.C.
Joined May 2003
3,981 Posts
I doubt the salt will cause any problems. Pool salinity is normally maintained at about 3000ppm. For comparison, the ocean is about 35,000ppm and a typical saline solution is about 6000ppm.
Ron H is online now Find More Posts by Ron H
Last edited by Ron H; Sep 19, 2012 at 12:41 PM. Reason: sp
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:08 AM
Victoria B.C. Canada
Joined Aug 2007
217 Posts
rinse it off and put it in a bag of uncooked rice for a couple days. the rice will pull all the moisture out of it.
robbthepilot is offline Find More Posts by robbthepilot
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:38 PM
United States, FL, Lehigh Acres
Joined Aug 2011
848 Posts
im thinking if it works enjoy it while you can. the idea of soaking it on purpose and thinking its going to be ok after is not the best in my opinion. You may have just gotten very lucky and it hit the water just right so nothing got damaged. Don't fix whats not broken.

i would open the ecs and rx to let them air out totally dry before you fly again other than that nothing.
xrx1113 is offline Find More Posts by xrx1113
Old Sep 19, 2012, 01:32 PM
Florida
Joined Aug 2004
4,114 Posts
Yes, rinse well in clean water, does not have to be hot. Rinse thoroughly, not just a dip or two. Even better is to rinse well in denatured alcohol, not the medicinal kind but like painters use (you can get it at many hardware or paint stores), and then dry well. It does not take much to start corrosion, most ponds, pools and lakes are contaminated enough to quickly start the corrosion process.
Rodney is offline Find More Posts by Rodney
Old Sep 19, 2012, 01:59 PM
scratch-built
United States, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Apr 2007
1,001 Posts
Dry Everything out then use Corrosion X on the Motor, Rx, and ESC. Don't use it on the Battery or Servo's. I've used it for several years on my Hyperion Sniper that I fly off of a lake. http://www.superiorcarcare.net/corrosionx-128oz.html

I put the Corrosion X in a Jar and soak the Motor, Rx, and ESC in the Corrosion X
Make sure that they are completely covered and leave them in the Corrosion X for a hour or so. then take them out and drain them, Then put them on a paper towel and let them drain for 24hrs. Re-Install and go fly.

J
Jim Lee is offline Find More Posts by Jim Lee
Old Sep 19, 2012, 06:12 PM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2012
1,018 Posts
to all those who say to rinse or soak my rx/esc in water or alcohol, i hope your not trolling me... i will try it, a new rx/esc is only about 40 dollars, so no biggy.