HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 12, 2012, 09:57 PM
Joined Jun 2004
200 Posts
Discussion
Soaring Sim Question

Hi Everone

I am like to know what sim offer some of the current F3b / F3j gliders? I am looking for the Freesyler , Supra, Explorer, multi channel type of glider for slope as well as flat land flying.

Also some scale types.

Thanks
mack5 is offline Find More Posts by mack5
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:18 PM
FS One
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Sep 2005
500 Posts
FS One

Quote:
Originally Posted by mack5 View Post
Hi Everone

I am like to know what sim offer some of the current F3b / F3j gliders? I am looking for the Freesyler , Supra, Explorer, multi channel type of glider for slope as well as flat land flying.

Also some scale types.

Thanks
FS One has the Supra and the scale Swift aerobatic glider (and some others). It also has all kinds of wind setups for thermal, DS and slope + 3D turbulence. It also has hi-start and winch launch + hand launch. Also, you can do aero towing.
MSelig is offline Find More Posts by MSelig
Old Sep 18, 2012, 05:10 AM
United Kingdom, England, Oxford
Joined Jul 2002
197 Posts
Quote:
Hi Everone
I am like to know what sim offer some of the current F3b / F3j gliders?
I've been working on a simulator that's mainly focussed on gliders - see here for the (free) Android version.

I'm just finishing the iOS version, and then will sort out a Windows version, which has the obvious advantage of being able to use a transmitter/joystick/gamepad.

It has slope and flat-land flying, with thermals, 3D turbulence, wind flow including separation (i.e. rotors and DS), ground/follow views, panoramic and 3D sceneries etc and a pretty wide range of gliders (including Weasel, Phase 6, Le Fish, Discus, Genie plus lots more including two non-gliders). It's very configurable, and on Windows at least you can (will be able to) pretty easily set up your own scenes/planes (also on Android, but it's more fiddly!).

Any feedback on it would be very welcome!

PicaSim - Flight simulator for radio controlled aircraft (5 min 30 sec)

Catching thermals with the Genie in PicaSim (3 min 34 sec)
Mr Rowl is online now Find More Posts by Mr Rowl
Last edited by Mr Rowl; Sep 18, 2012 at 08:16 AM.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 01:57 PM
Cromer,Norfolk, UK
Joined Nov 2006
2,505 Posts
Looking good, is this an "update" of the SSS simulator? which I still have, complete with the ropey old Corsair PSS model and a couple of others I made for it, I was quite touched by them being included

Any idea of a release date for the windows version?

Matt
MCarlton is offline Find More Posts by MCarlton
Old Sep 21, 2012, 02:09 PM
United Kingdom, England, Oxford
Joined Jul 2002
197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCarlton View Post
Looking good, is this an "update" of the SSS simulator? which I still have, complete with the ropey old Corsair PSS model and a couple of others I made for it, I was quite touched by them being included
Essentially yes, except it's a complete rewrite, apart from one or two bits. It's based on the same ideas, but with improvements to the aerodynamics, physics and wind modelling. Also the configuration system is usable by non-programmers now!

I'm using a library called Marmalde to help make it portable between different platforms. At the moment I'm using the cheapest licence which just covers iOS and Android. When the time comes to renew at the end of this year I'm planning on upgrading to the (more expensive) version that covers a Windows release. It might happen earlier, depending on how things go on iOS.
Mr Rowl is online now Find More Posts by Mr Rowl
Old Sep 28, 2012, 06:16 PM
United States, CA, Bakersfield
Joined Jan 2001
1,694 Posts
Quote:
Hi Everone

Also some scale types.

Thanks
Phoenix 4 has the Nan Models Shadow and the Parkzone Radian as well as some un-named sailplanes. I haven't tried it so I don't know how good it is at simulating soaring.
georgeg is offline Find More Posts by georgeg
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 01, 2012, 10:32 PM
FS One
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Sep 2005
500 Posts
Quote:
Hi Everone

Also some scale types.

Thanks
Here's the Supra doing some thermal soaring in FS One V2. The launch is with a hi-start.

FS One V2. Supra high-performance sailplane. (1 min 54 sec)
MSelig is offline Find More Posts by MSelig