SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:39 PM
I'd rather be flying
United States, NY, Saratoga Springs
Joined Jan 2009
1,234 Posts
I notice when I flip mine I need at least 15 feet of air. I am at 100% rate on my transmitter. Does that seem normal?
baddb1 is online now Find More Posts by baddb1
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:16 PM
RC Logger Support
United States, WV, Hurricane
Joined Jan 2010
3,240 Posts
Yes probably about right. There are people doing lower but there are two things involved. #1 adjusting throws to 125% and #2 major skill.
jlcamp7 is online now Find More Posts by jlcamp7
Old Sep 12, 2012, 04:30 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by baddb1 View Post
I notice when I flip mine I need at least 15 feet of air. I am at 100% rate on my transmitter. Does that seem normal?
I don't think there's a standard as to what is normal for quad copter aerobatics... I feel weird just saying it
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Sep 13, 2012, 05:59 AM
United Kingdom, England, Consett
Joined Feb 2012
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by baddb1 View Post
I had my MQX out at the park last weekend and was just keeping it low and having a play as it was a little windy above the tree tops but fine below that height.

I thought i'd give a flip a try on my new DX6i settings, worked fairly fine (although I think I'm overthinking it and backing off the throttle too much), anyway, a minute into my flight I tried a second flip and hit the dirt, that was from about 15 feet.

I found out that the MQX isn't as indestructible as I had thought! One of the landing gear/motor housing parts snapped, right where it connects to the carbon rod that attaches it to the body, it won't bend back to straight either so I can't fix it easily

So now i'm waiting on a replacement part before I can play some more.
ColSonders is offline Find More Posts by ColSonders
Old Sep 13, 2012, 06:48 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,875 Posts
why not make your own body shapes... shrinking a pop bottle over a former is so easy..
you can make your own formers easy enough..
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...7#post13976712
davereap is offline Find More Posts by davereap
Old Sep 13, 2012, 07:32 AM
n00b pilot
Brandenburg, KY, USA
Joined Dec 2005
447 Posts
I got an mQX a few weeks ago. I was thinking it would be a good trainer while I finished my bigger quad, but I'm having so much fun with this thing that I spend more time flying it than the big one. It's amazing how tough these things are.
MikeyToo is offline Find More Posts by MikeyToo
Old Sep 13, 2012, 08:19 AM
United States, MI, Rochester Hills
Joined Oct 2000
946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyToo View Post
I got an mQX a few weeks ago. I was thinking it would be a good trainer while I finished my bigger quad, but I'm having so much fun with this thing that I spend more time flying it than the big one. It's amazing how tough these things are.
Every time I think about acquiring a smaller (or larger) quad, I always end up realizing that the mQX is really the sweet spot in terms of cost, ability, agility, repairability and durability.

Yes it would be cool to have a really tiny quad, but parts are not as readily available and so far with their embedded non-Spektrum receivers, they don't work with my DX8.

Yes, it would be cool to have a larger quad. They are more stable and can do some really cool stuff with GPS and other sensors. But they are more expensive and easier to damage in a crash, which raises the fear factor when attempting aerobatics and/or aggressive flight. And again, you can't always get replacement parts in the corner hobby shop.

So it always (for me, anyway) comes back to keeping my mQX and enjoying the heck out of it. I love flying it at the field when the airplanes are grounded by excessive wind. It seems to top out at about 15-20 MPH. Above that and you can't tilt it forward enough to hold position (ie., stationary "forward flight") without losing lift and ending up on the ground even close to full throttle. Below maybe 15MPH, it is quite flyable. I flew it the other day in winds that kept most planes on the ground. The wind was so bad that my flips were extremely *horizontally* oval.... about 30 feet worth

Paul
pgoelz is offline Find More Posts by pgoelz
Old Sep 13, 2012, 08:45 AM
United Kingdom, England, Consett
Joined Feb 2012
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgoelz View Post
I flew it the other day in winds that kept most planes on the ground. The wind was so bad that my flips were extremely *horizontally* oval.... about 30 feet worth
When I grow up I wanna be that brave.

I wouldn't dare try a flip in that sort of wind....one day maybe...one day.

I totally agree though about it being the sweet spot, I'm not brave or skilled or wealthy enough to really try to get into collective pitch helicopters just yet and my fixed pitch helo's are basically grounded in more than a slight breeze, but I can always rely on the MQX to be there ready to have some fun.

I received a bigger quad this week, got myself a LotusRC T-380, but my wife has taken it away to give to Santa Claus. I'm hoping that it will be just as much fun to fly as the MQX, but with the added ability to carry a camera/fpv gear.

Not sure i'll ever be brave enough to flip it though, may keep that sort of fun especially for my MQX.
ColSonders is offline Find More Posts by ColSonders
Old Sep 13, 2012, 09:00 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,594 Posts
Quote:
Yes it would be cool to have a really tiny quad, but parts are not as readily available and so far with their embedded non-Spektrum receivers, they don't work with my DX8.
What about a mQX/Ladybird clone ?
More infos on this thread "MQX Hybrid Nano Quad " : http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1647401

mQX/v929/Ladybird clone (plug'n'fly):

mQX Board:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/130743630037...ht_3538wt_1059

v929 Frame:
http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Wl...0-p-47420.html

2 x Walkera QR Ladybird Spare Parts Clockwise Motor QR-Ladybird-Z-05 :
http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-2-...5-p-47129.html

2 x Counter-Clockwise Motor QR-Ladybird-Z-06 For Walkera QR Ladybird Spare Parts:
http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-2-...s-p-47277.html

3 Set Walkera QR Ladybird Spare Parts Main Blades Propellers QR-Ladybird-Z-01:
http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-3-...1-p-47127.html

and if you want a cheap canopy:

WLtoys V929 Beetle Quadcopter UFO Spare Parts Head Cover:
http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Wl...1-p-47376.html

There you have a Ladybird-sized quad, wich can be controlled by you Dx8

You can also buy one of those tiny $40 quads and change their PCB with the mQX one (haven't done it yet myself)
mystman is online now Find More Posts by mystman
Old Sep 13, 2012, 09:04 AM
RC Logger Support
Joined Jan 2010
3,240 Posts
Yep, yep. Just lots of fun. And more importantly without breaking the bank. Pgoelz I don't know if you've seen it or not but you can build a hybrid that uses the mqx board and main frame and attach the ladybird booms/motors if you are wanting a really small quad that will bind to spektrum. I haven't flown one yet but I know a lot of people have raved about it. I have the frame and board and my booms/motors will be in today, so I'll finally get to have a micro spektrum quad to fly around the house and sit beside my mqx.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 09:05 AM
RC Logger Support
Joined Jan 2010
3,240 Posts
lol Mystman, I apparently was typing while you were posting.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 09:09 AM
Joined Oct 2000
946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColSonders View Post
When I grow up I wanna be that brave.

I wouldn't dare try a flip in that sort of wind....one day maybe...one day.
Now what were we just talking about...... how rugged and easy to repair the mQX is You just need to re-calibrate your fear factor

If you are flying over grass, about the worst thing you can do to it is bend a prop (just bend it back). Or maybe crack a boom (which will not always ground you).

I did think twice about trying flips that day and eventually stopped, but only because there was a real possibility of crashing behind the flight line. We were at a demo and there were other planes and people back there

Paul
Old Sep 13, 2012, 09:09 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcamp7 View Post
lol Mystman, I apparently was typing while you were posting.
I've already done the hybrid I described. It's working well, but I changed to using a v929 PCB on this setup as I mostly use mey 9x tx.
I only have a mQX stock and DX4e tx and I haven't built my DSM2 module yet
Old Sep 13, 2012, 09:11 AM
Joined Oct 2000
946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcamp7 View Post
Yep, yep. Just lots of fun. And more importantly without breaking the bank. Pgoelz I don't know if you've seen it or not but you can build a hybrid that uses the mqx board and main frame and attach the ladybird booms/motors if you are wanting a really small quad that will bind to spektrum. I haven't flown one yet but I know a lot of people have raved about it. I have the frame and board and my booms/motors will be in today, so I'll finally get to have a micro spektrum quad to fly around the house and sit beside my mqx.
Now THAT is an interesting idea. I may have to actually do that one. There are complete Ladybirds available on Ebay for not too much money. Only trouble is having to order parts from China. I wonder if Eflite is listening....

Any word on how they fly? I'd have to wonder if the gyros on the mQX are specifically tuned to the response time of the larger geared props.

Paul
Old Sep 13, 2012, 09:21 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,594 Posts
Quote:

Any word on how they fly? I'd have to wonder if the gyros on the mQX are specifically tuned to the response time of the larger geared props.

Paul
Just see the vids on this thread : http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1647401

My personal experience: much more agile and sometimes twichy . You should use expos on your tx. Nothing for beginners, nothing but challenge. I like it.
Much more stable in windy situations!