HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 07, 2012, 10:52 AM
United States, ND, Bismarck
Joined Mar 2012
297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joliecoeur13 View Post
I got a Nano a while back and been flying that , I got my 120Do2S going again but after flying the Nano ( even with +40 expo) , the 120 feels like an over weight slugish fat bee !! the fat I can deal with but the slugish feels terrible now , what can I do to improve response ? or is that just the way the gyro is ?
One thing that will improve response is to use the stock 130x high performance main blades. But you will probably have to completely re-tune the gyro pots, they fly a lot different than stock blades. I had to turn the ail/ele extent pot down to get it to a more normal flip speed.
flint723 is online now Find More Posts by flint723
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2012, 03:02 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Sep 2011
366 Posts
First crash in a while, pitch pumps whilst watching something else, head it first! A lesson learnt lol Tough bird though, still flies but think the feathering shaft and poss main shaft needs replacing (bobbing) was a hard crash into a heater as well, still flyable but have spares on hand thankfully.
RotaryC is offline Find More Posts by RotaryC
Old Dec 07, 2012, 10:54 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,984 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro37 View Post
One way of getting the most out of these lipos is not leaving them charged. Many of us does not know that. I usually charge my lipos (already half charged) on my way to the filed, in my trunk. If I have to go home, and my lipo is fully charged, I would at least run them on the ground for a minute, just so they are not fully charged while sitting in my box. Any lipo with 40C or higher could easily degrade it's life span. The lower C rating lipos are not that sensitive but will also affect it's life span and performance if kept fully charged. The 4.2V does not mean anything. That's just the potential difference between the terminals. If the lipo chemistry is going bad, that voltage will drop under load. So you need to make sure lipo chemistry is taken care the way they should be. More so, if you go GO BIG. My large batteries are broken-in before I use them. I do 3-5C discharge rate 'till they are 3.85V per cell 4-5X (or cylcles)
I'm only using stock motor. After 9 minutes, they are just warm. So no stress on my lipos. I have 4 pcs of them.On a calm day, I sometimes fly them 3 hours none stop (2 days/ week) using my charger with my added ports. I would say around 200 flights between the four lipos with no performance difference since I got them & from take off to landing. Heat is another enemy of lipos. The stock motor does not pull much current, so it could be one reason why my lipos are still good. Some guys would fly their 130X twice in a row (4min each), and I'm still flying the 120 with the same lipo
The charger on the picture is 2AMP max on 4S = 0.5A charge rate MAX per cell. I made some extra ports and terminals so I could charge different lipos and friends could charge too. I could charge 12 lipos (1S &2S) simultaneously including the stock ports. I was thinking of upgrading my 120 motor but there is no point, since I have the 130X. This charger charges/balances each cell independently.

The tail vib on spool up on the 130 is usually caused by the tail shaft not square (90*) with the hub. I bought 3 brand new shafts and only one was good. I run them 3X (install & removed). I marked them with red, blue & black marker respectively. Each time I try to re-install the shaft, that same shaft will vibrate the same intensity. One was good out of the 3. Four of us flew 130X today including one maiden. None of us has any tail vib or shake. Shake is easy to fix. Silicon grommets and gyro adjustment will take care of it 100%. Apparently, the 3axis gyro , by default is set at the mid point. The Rudder, Ail and elevator needs to be adjusted if shakes is present during fast speed flights, and could take as much as 6clicks to lower the gain. Tail wag = too much tail gyro gain. Body shake = Too much Ail. If it is flying like a horse or Kangaroo = too much Elev gain. Spool up Vib = bad tail shaft or scotch tape on the tail blade is the possible fix.
- Spyro

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...e_Capable.html
Good info. Of course I'm sure you know that i already know all of that. But one of the important things for me in this hobby in online communication is repetition. I feel like we can't go around assuming everyone knows all of this stuff. We should always assume the opposite and not be offended when someone assumes you don't know. Otherwise how will anyone ever learn anything? Since most people don't just go around asking all these kinds of questions.

But the fact still remains that 850-950 mAh packs don't seem to last as long as any other pack i have owned. Sure, these days i don't care too and don't have the time to care for my crappy v120 lipos. I have bigger 6S packs to worry about now. But, I have yet to have a 850-950 mAh pack last more than 30 cycles while utilizing 100% of the lipo care guidelines like i used to do when i flew these micros every day. Back when i had a couple of Nano packs still. I just threw 12 packs in the trash (after cutting off the wires and discharging the pack fully) This last set of them were a mixed assortment of all different brands. Since i was flying my X5 and 450s every day and neglecting these little ones. The packs just stayed charged. Especially after a crash i couldn't fix. All of my "fullriver" 600 mah "stock" D02S packs are still performing like they were new. The original pack that came with my heli back in March looses power at about 2 minutes 30 seconds instead of 3 minutes like the rest of them. Then when i land and put a meter on them they are at 3.8v. Maybe 3.75 at the lowest. Everything you just said about battery care is absolutely true. Except even when i take proper care of these packs they don't last as long as the smaller packs. That was basically what i was driving at. I just didn't know if others had the same experience as me. Obviously from the last few posts above this, they have. But i suppose for $3 it's not a big deal. I think for how few and far between my flights are. I think I will be sticking to the fullriver 600 packs and 3 min flights for $5 a pack. Just so i can trust that i can keep them ready to fly for 8 months without worrying about having to replace them.

Not for nothing, but i have a Turnigy 2200 mAh 3S 30-40C pack that was sitting charged for over a month now because the battery charger plug got damaged. I recently had another pack go bad on me and i repaired the pack with the bad plug and flew 5 minutes with the pack with no problems.

My basic assumption is that these 800-950 mAh packs are just not capable of lasting as long as any other pack that i have owned. But they are cheap and when they are new they work great. The Turnigy nano packs i had seemed to last the longest. They lasted about 30 cycles (about 2 months maybe) before they lost output power and bogged the motor almost immediately after take off. That was back when i was flying these helicopters 6-12 flights a day, every single day. So the packs never stayed charged longer than 24 hours and got cycled again. I thought i was just cycling them out to EOL. So the next time i bought some no name cheaper packs that came in a bulk order. They went bad just from sitting for maybe 2 weeks fully charged. Again, my D02S packs are ALWAYS fully charged. Even right now, i flew 3 packs last weekend but those packs have been fully charged for months with only sporadic use in between flying my big helicopters. I might cycle the packs once a week if they are lucky. But otherwise all my D02S stock packs remain fully charged and waiting for me in the trunk of my car. Some times in the florida heat too. Obviously it's not hot right now, being only 80° during the afternoon. But you know what. I treat my 450 packs the same way. The most they stay at full charge for is about 3 days though. After that i grab them and stick them on my charger for a "storage cycle", if i think i won't be flying for a few more days. Before 24 hours is reached i usually put my packs in the refrigerator (NEVER THE FREEZER!!!!!!!!!!) if they are fully charged. Keeping them cold slows the chemical reaction processes and prevents rapid degradation. But again, never for more than 2-3 days at most!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfa View Post
hmm, good post... taking note as my nanos go bad pretty quick. Anyone know of a technique to restore the lipos that go bad. I have about 5 small 80 mah eflite batteries that went bad from keeping them charged and not using them I put them in the freezer for a month partly charged, took them out recharged and a few came back to life. Wondering as I have quite a few under used lipos, mainly nanos that just will not power my genius anymore. I have a new V120 and batteries coming from Santa and I need to start taking care of my lipos.
Once a pack starts going bad there is nothing you can do to repair it. It's a chemistry thing. To keep it simple. Basically, the chemicals inside the pack break down and are no longer transferring electrons through the electrolyte as fast or in as much quantity as when the pack was new. Nothing you can do can fix this. You just have to replace it. Don't question yourself. Don't wonder if maybe if you stick it back on the charger it might work. Just DON'T. Save yourself some money and just toss them before it costs you a crash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flint723 View Post
One thing that will improve response is to use the stock 130x high performance main blades. But you will probably have to completely re-tune the gyro pots, they fly a lot different than stock blades. I had to turn the ail/ele extent pot down to get it to a more normal flip speed.
I don't know why i didn't say that too.. I keep forgetting how much improvement those KDBB 130X blades gave me sometimes.
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Dec 07, 2012 at 11:00 PM.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 11:03 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,984 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotaryC View Post
First crash in a while, pitch pumps whilst watching something else, head it first! A lesson learnt lol Tough bird though, still flies but think the feathering shaft and poss main shaft needs replacing (bobbing) was a hard crash into a heater as well, still flyable but have spares on hand thankfully.
You should be able to see the main rotor vibe if the main shaft is bent. To check the FS just remove a blade and turn the FS with a screw driver. If the blade grips wobble around and oscillate while you spin the FS. The FS is bent. Super simple way to check. Sometimes you need to hold the blade grips to feel if they are moving slightly. You should be able to turn the FS and see no movement on the grips from a bend.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 11:23 PM
V120D02S, GCP
United States, CA, Pasadena
Joined Feb 2012
142 Posts
Walkera V120D02s with 808 #16v2 D lens keychain camera (1 min 50 sec)

Here's quick hover with my 808 camera. I can't call it a flight because there is nowhere to fly it without immediately loosing sight of it.
LarsDennert is offline Find More Posts by LarsDennert
Old Dec 08, 2012, 12:31 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,984 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsDennert View Post
http://youtu.be/Swtjw6np9DY
Here's quick hover with my 808 camera. I can't call it a flight because there is nowhere to fly it without immediately loosing sight of it.
Good god, it makes the V120 sound like a small motor cycle or something, lol. Is the 808 that little key chain thing?
Old Dec 08, 2012, 12:37 AM
V120D02S, GCP
United States, CA, Pasadena
Joined Feb 2012
142 Posts
Yea turns out the tail boom was completely split and the shaft was rattling around good in there. That was really bad for the A gear.
Yea the key chain cam shoots really clear 720p but you wouldn't know it from the shaking.

Hey go to sleep. Its late in Florida.
LarsDennert is offline Find More Posts by LarsDennert
Old Dec 08, 2012, 07:58 AM
United States, TX, Cypress
Joined Jan 2012
399 Posts
Today I will begin to sort out my dead batteries, discharge, and trash them. Will stop hoping they will come back to life. I am also not going to buy the cheapies anymore, at least in the small size. Their great for a few weeks but degrade to fast. From the threads I read the stock V120 battery is hard to beat. I sure hope they are better then the Genius battery.
bobfa is offline Find More Posts by bobfa
Old Dec 08, 2012, 12:28 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,984 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsDennert View Post
Yea turns out the tail boom was completely split and the shaft was rattling around good in there. That was really bad for the A gear.
Yea the key chain cam shoots really clear 720p but you wouldn't know it from the shaking.

Hey go to sleep. Its late in Florida.
Yeah, i was actually surprised at the video quality. When i googled the 808 camera and saw a keychain i was rather impressed at the sheer size of it. It probably only records a few minutes and you probably need a usb cable to extract it though right? Sleep, what is that? I have special pills from the CIA that make it so i don't need sleep. Seriously though, i only sleep 3 hours a night since i was 18. 8 Hours sleep makes me wake up feeling tired and exhausted for some reason, so 5 hours or so MAX for me usually. I read somewhere Nikola Tesla was the same way. I'm surely no Tesla, but it's nice to know i'm in good company. Maybe thats why he went a little crazy as he got older. Maybe thats why some of you guys think i'm nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfa View Post
Today I will begin to sort out my dead batteries, discharge, and trash them. Will stop hoping they will come back to life. I am also not going to buy the cheapies anymore, at least in the small size. Their great for a few weeks but degrade to fast. From the threads I read the stock V120 battery is hard to beat. I sure hope they are better then the Genius battery.
Yeah, they have not given me any problems. You can even find them as cheap as $5 a pack. Thats not all that expensive. I personally have not tried the Turnigy 650-700 mAh packs though. I would like to assume they hold up at least as long as the "stock V120 packs" which are made by fullriver. But these little 1S packs have been the most crazy thing for me. I've thrown away a few of my 450 packs already but i still have my original V120 pack that came with the bird and it still flies almost as long as the newer packs i have. It does show signs of power loss sooner but you can still fly 3D for a few minutes then switch to light circuits or whatever and still get a full flight.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 01:27 PM
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Jan 2011
221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
... 808 camera and saw a keychain i was rather impressed at the sheer size of it. It probably only records a few minutes and you probably need a usb cable to extract it though right? ...
Most of them use micro-SD cards.

The ORIGINAL #16 HD keycam thread (New Users - PLEASE read post #1 FIRST)

v/r,
C-F
CANNONFODDER0 is offline Find More Posts by CANNONFODDER0
Old Dec 08, 2012, 01:56 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,984 Posts
In regards to my complaints about wow hobby's shipping. Maybe it is the USPS going bankrupt after all. i just went to order a new 6S pack from hobbyking and the shipping price there went up there as well. Last 3 i ordered shipping was $10.58 for priority mail. It's now $16.87 for "small parcel" whatever ambiguous thing that freaking means. 10 day shipping probably. Either it's the USPS or everyone is getting in on the Holiday fun. Merry Christmas everyone! It's a good thing the world is going to end on the 21st. If you believe that, well then, I have some ocean front property to sell you....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANNONFODDER0 View Post
Sweet, thanks for the info. I'm probably going to nab one of these up one day! Love your name too. lol..
Old Dec 08, 2012, 03:11 PM
United States, OR, Vernonia
Joined Dec 2004
126 Posts
There have been no price increases from USPS. A small priority package is still 5.70. I emailed WOW and they never got back to me. I did order a shipment from them and it was 5.70 however if you add a canopie it goes to the dreaded 17.75. I guess you just have to be careful what you order. Terrence still has the best shipping prices and typically 8 to 10 days delivery. Its only 5.00 bucks no matter what you buy. MIke
iflyrvs1 is offline Find More Posts by iflyrvs1
Old Dec 08, 2012, 05:39 PM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
In regards to my complaints about wow hobby's shipping. Maybe it is the USPS going bankrupt after all. i just went to order a new 6S pack from hobbyking and the shipping price there went up there as well. Last 3 i ordered shipping was $10.58 for priority mail. It's now $16.87 for "small parcel" whatever ambiguous thing that freaking means. 10 day shipping probably. Either it's the USPS or everyone is getting in on the Holiday fun. Merry Christmas everyone! It's a good thing the world is going to end on the 21st. If you believe that, well then, I have some ocean front property to sell you....
l..
It's the batteries. We can't have even a 250mah battery shipped from the US by post. They have to go UPS or some other method ground.
I got 2 5000mah shipped from Hobby King in HK along with a bunch of other stuff 6 months ago and it was 2 weeks and about 37.00 freight. I order all my batteries from HK because of the HLS rules in the US.
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk
Old Dec 08, 2012, 06:22 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BThirsk View Post
It's the batteries. We can't have even a 250mah battery shipped from the US by post. They have to go UPS or some other method ground.
I got 2 5000mah shipped from Hobby King in HK along with a bunch of other stuff 6 months ago and it was 2 weeks and about 37.00 freight. I order all my batteries from HK because of the HLS rules in the US.
HobbyKing cannot use Hong Kong Post either as that is banned as well. That is why they have to use SwissPost and why you get big delays quite often from them as well.
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Dec 08, 2012, 06:32 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,984 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BThirsk View Post
I'm pretty sure the USPS regulations on lipo batteries pertains to international shipments only.

So anyway, your right. They no longer offer USPS shipping. I misread it, it is UPS. Not USPS. My last 3 orders from them in the last 45 days were sent using USPS. It's likely not because of the lipos. It's probably because the USPS is the worst at handling packages. I myself boycotted using them for a long time. This hobby forced me back into using their services again. Then all of this starts going on. I have to assume this current trend is related to the USPS asking congress for more money last month. I wouldn't doubt if they have become less reliable after closing down so many locations and laying off so many. Otherwise these distributors must know something we don't. These distributors are probably getting tired of issues or something and just switching away from them. It's honestly the only thing i can think of. Otherwise it's all about greed and gain. I really don't know but it's really asking a lot for shipping these days. Especially on items that are so light and small. The lipos i understand weigh about 1.5-2 lb. But that is honestly still very light. I can't see paying more than $10 for almost anything this light. Especially when, like you said. Priority mail flat rate boxes are $5-12 for the ones that fit almost any of these products.

I suppose we all had better get used to it. The prices of everything will be increasing in the next few years.
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Dec 20, 2012 at 02:03 AM.