HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 21, 2013, 11:02 AM
Jack of all master of none
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,261 Posts
MARTIN....I was able to obtain a 1/72 scale BV-138 SEA DRAGON static display model on eBay These are hard to get for a reasonable price this one cost me $25 shipped it's all in German and the box was not in great shape but the model was. NOW we have all of the details we can't find in photos on the net; it even has the sea trailer and some good shots on the back of the box w/ paint schemes.

Bruce
splinterz25 is offline Find More Posts by splinterz25
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2013, 06:57 PM
United States, TX, Haltom City
Joined Mar 2013
505 Posts
Bruce, I think I may have to get one too! Nice job on the P-38 booms. I think it will be more of a challenge on the BV-138 though. But I'm sure you can do it.
As I said on the phone, the BV-138 will be 97" x 44" if you make it all in one piece other than the wing tips. That would be tight for your 30" doorway
I'd be interested in pics of the cockpit detail from the plastic model. $25.00 for a model doesn't seem so much these days. Seems like a lot though compared to the old days....nickel candy bars and all that. Just go to your LHS and price them!
I'll get back on the plans as soon as my cold goes away..............Martin
Martin5465 is offline Find More Posts by Martin5465
Old Oct 21, 2013, 09:51 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin5465 View Post
Bruce, I think I may have to get one too! Nice job on the P-38 booms. I think it will be more of a challenge on the BV-138 though. But I'm sure you can do it.
As I said on the phone, the BV-138 will be 97" x 44" if you make it all in one piece other than the wing tips. That would be tight for your 30" doorway
I'd be interested in pics of the cockpit detail from the plastic model. $25.00 for a model doesn't seem so much these days. Seems like a lot though compared to the old days....nickel candy bars and all that. Just go to your LHS and price them!
I'll get back on the plans as soon as my cold goes away..............Martin
Martin get well soon.... I'll be able to show you how the booms will connect on the sea dragon w/ the model it's how they have going together there just skinnier compared to the 38; the good thing is you can see all of the scoops and vents etc...The cockpit is not so detailed on this model but we still have those photos I told you about did you ever look at those?

I'm not worried about any door way if any part is going to get too big for my build room it will just get moved down stairs but it won't get to big the way I'm going to break her down.
The biggest part will be the center section 23" x 44" x the wing cord.
I can tell by the model I can make the booms removable so the whole thing will be 6 pieces w/ 6 bolts & carbon/fiberglass rods holding it together.

Bruce
Old Oct 23, 2013, 06:21 PM
Joined Mar 2013
505 Posts
Bruce, that should work! Just have to make it real solid as an engine will be in each boom. You don't want any twisting while in the air. I think I'm going to have to get one of those plastic models. Nice for trying out paint schemes too. This is going to be a REAL interesting build. If the guys liked your PBY thread, well, "They ain't seen nuthin' yet"!
Old Oct 23, 2013, 06:38 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,261 Posts
Quote:
Bruce, that should work! Just have to make it real solid as an engine will be in each boom. You don't want any twisting while in the air. I think I'm going to have to get one of those plastic models. Nice for trying out paint schemes too. This is going to be a REAL interesting build. If the guys liked your PBY thread, well, "They ain't seen nuthin' yet"!
I can't wait to get started on reworking the drawings.

Bruce
Old Oct 24, 2013, 12:57 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,261 Posts
Martin GOOD LUCK finding a model for less than $50 the one I got was a Supper Model that's the brand name made in Italy instructions in four languages English was one.

A Revell model would be better the quality of this one's not the best I've seen but none the less it coming along and will be a big help w/ detais this is going to be a fun build.

I'll start the BV -138 SEA DRAGON build threads once I have the drawings in hand.
And show the changes that I'm making to the drawings but won't start building until I have a good handle on the whole build and a good bit of supplies.

Here's what this model looks like so far.

Bruce
Old Oct 24, 2013, 06:08 PM
Joined Mar 2013
505 Posts
That sea trailer doesn't look like it would hold the real thing. Even if those tires were solid they still look small for that plane.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 06:35 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,261 Posts
Quote:
That sea trailer doesn't look like it would hold the real thing. Even if those tires were solid they still look small for that plane.
Yep not designed as well as the PBY'S sea gear it was made for a hard ramp only not a sandy beach.

Bruce
Old Oct 25, 2013, 04:41 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,261 Posts
The BV-138 is coming along these models are no where as nice as Revell's models.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 03:49 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,261 Posts
Martin thanks for getting me the drawings I've now have them printed and started to make the changes so the booms will be removable there's lots to do so it will still be a while before I start the BV-138 Threads.
I'll keep all of you posted where and when I start the threads.

Bruce