SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 04, 2013, 02:33 AM
Marton, New Zealand
Joined Apr 2005
102 Posts
And here's the same setup but using a Turnigy nano-tech 2650mah 4S 35~70C Lipo Pack, slightly more punch. Slow high-alpha pass around 2min

HK 70mm Rafale EDF - Tiger Meet scheme (Nanotech battery) (3 min 14 sec)
savvy is offline Find More Posts by savvy
Last edited by savvy; Jan 04, 2013 at 02:39 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2013, 02:42 AM
Marton, New Zealand
Joined Apr 2005
102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopetista View Post
Looks great, but really sluggish.

Since I have the same lipos (2200 4s 35C Nanos) I wanted to ask you how they cope with the high amps - are they getting hot? And that leads me to the next question: Have you measured amps? Reason I ask is that in early tests by anlucas and others it turned out that the 2800kV on 4s would not develop its full potential with certain ESCs (e.g., the SuperSimple Suppos), in fact many cheaper ESCs have problems with the high-revvying outrunners...

Other than that, could it be that your CG could go a bit more aft? The plane should be rather light the way you have set it up, and still needs high angles of attack to fly, even at "medium speeds" (and that makes the deltas very slow, also in turns etc). Or maybe the canards could be set to have a bit more incidence angle ("help" more), if your CG is as far back as possible.
The 2200 does get a little hot, the Nanotech 2650 30-70 doesn't get very hot at all and seems much better.

I think I'll put the cyclone setup back in this one (currently in my Sea Vixen) and try to take another video, I'm sure it performed much better on that one.

I'll have to measure the amps and get back to you.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 01:19 AM
Joined Nov 2011
1,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by savvy View Post
The 2200 does get a little hot, the Nanotech 2650 30-70 doesn't get very hot at all and seems much better.

I think I'll put the cyclone setup back in this one (currently in my Sea Vixen) and try to take another video, I'm sure it performed much better on that one.

I'll have to measure the amps and get back to you.

do you have to set any reflex (up elevator) on your Rafale, like any delta wings should have?
and where is your CG?

thanks.
flylow2011 is offline Find More Posts by flylow2011
Old Jan 09, 2013, 10:42 PM
Marton, New Zealand
Joined Apr 2005
102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopetista View Post
Looks great, but really sluggish.

question: Have you measured amps? Reason I ask is that in early tests by anlucas and others it turned out that the 2800kV on 4s would not develop its full potential with certain ESCs (e.g., the SuperSimple Suppos), in fact many cheaper ESCs have problems with the high-revvying outrunners...
I'm now using the Cyclone setup in my Rafale, she now has much more power and is pulling 68 amps.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 10:43 PM
Marton, New Zealand
Joined Apr 2005
102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flylow2011 View Post
do you have to set any reflex (up elevator) on your Rafale, like any delta wings should have?
and where is your CG?

thanks.
No, I haven't added any up elevator but it seems to fly ok? especially now with the new power setup.

My CG is 350mm from the trailing edge.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:04 PM
Newton, Ks.
Joined Feb 2004
245 Posts
Just recieved mine from the USA whse. All the right parts and no damage. Now I just need to finish home remodel project so I can get this built.
Ks.jetflyer is offline Find More Posts by Ks.jetflyer
Old Apr 21, 2013, 01:08 PM
United Kingdom, England, Durham
Joined Apr 2011
230 Posts
Well ive just made a start on mine today it been sitting in the box to long lol just finished a build, so my set up will be cs12 70m bl32 3000 6s nano tech
disho is offline Find More Posts by disho
Old May 16, 2013, 04:02 PM
Marton, New Zealand
Joined Apr 2005
102 Posts
I've made a few small changes to mine and have finally increased the speed and thrust to a point where it's much more enjoyable to fly. Not sure which of the small tweaks did it, maybe a combination of all of them - but here's what I did.

1. Correclty secured the edf to the aiframe. I was using some double sided tape but felt it was allowing a bit of movement. Sometimes when I opened up the hatch I could see that the fan unit had moved slightly. (Belly landing could cause this movement I guess) I added some wood blocks and bolted it in nice and secure.

2. Cut down and filed/sanded the internal splitter which splits the fan to the two exhausts. The back of my cyclone was touching this bit of foam and it was rather blunt. I cut it back and filed/sanded it so the air can more easily be split.

3. Adjusted the cut angle of the cheater, which appeared to be directing the air more to the top of the airframe, now it directs it right into the fan.

I've also noticed that any battery under 2600 4s gets very warm. Sticking with the 2600mah produces great results, easy vertical and lots of power. Will also try a 33004s which looks to fit nicely.

Much happier now with mine, just one of those things that takes a bit of tweaking.
Old May 16, 2013, 11:22 PM
Joined Nov 2011
1,115 Posts

This Rafale is not available in US anymore :-(

flylow2011 is offline Find More Posts by flylow2011
Old Aug 17, 2013, 04:50 AM
Joined Apr 2011
230 Posts
Just finished mine, been in the box a long time, set up eflite bl15 3200kv cs 12 80 esc 3300 lipo, now not sure on the CG any ideas on this
Old Aug 18, 2013, 05:04 AM
Joined Apr 2011
230 Posts
Any one got as pic of cg position

HOBBY KING RAFALE 70M CHANGE SUN FAN EFLITE BL 15 ON 4S (1 min 4 sec)
Old Aug 18, 2013, 05:25 AM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
4,005 Posts
See msg #751

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=751
fredmdbud is online now Find More Posts by fredmdbud
Old Aug 18, 2013, 01:45 PM
Joined Apr 2011
230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredmdbud View Post
Thanks, is that from the wing as it joins the fuzz
Old Aug 18, 2013, 08:56 PM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
4,005 Posts
The post says measuring from the trailing edge to the front.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=737
fredmdbud is online now Find More Posts by fredmdbud
Old Aug 25, 2013, 06:41 PM
Joined Apr 2011
230 Posts
Well she flys , had four flites today nice jet my setup is cs 12 blade fan eflite bl 15 motor, 80 esc 3300 4s will try and get some video next time out