holder above swashplate!
lpiang is offline Find More Posts by lpiang
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2013, 03:37 AM
Controls Engineer
United States, NY, Amsterdam
Joined Dec 2012
1,327 Posts
I really don't understand the question. You have a 400 that you've tried to fly and crashed. Been there done that. Then you ask about a 450?
lasakro is offline Find More Posts by lasakro
Old Jan 12, 2013, 05:23 AM
Controls Engineer
Joined Dec 2012
1,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpiang View Post
holder above swashplate!
Got it. I've been through 3 swash plates before hearing that the blade 400 is better but never broke the swash stabilizer. Don't know if the V450 is any better or will fit.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 06:58 AM
United States, NC, Whitsett
Joined Jun 2012
39 Posts
For those looking at sims and worried about various Walkera radios, maybe this will help.

Helisimrc - I'm running on Vista basic and I've used with: 2403 with a mono cable to mic jack on computer with Smartpropo plus and vJoy virtual joystick, 2801 with same configuration, Devo 10 with the USB to mono cable (UB-001) and it shows up as a PPM device in the control panel

ClearView - Same Vista computer: 2403 with a mono cable to mic jack on computer with Smartpropo plus and vJoy virtual joystick, 2801 with same configuration, Devo 10 with the USB to mono cable (UB-001)

Phoenix - Same Vista computer: 2403, 2801, and Devo10 with the included Phoenix cable/dongle that is a USB to stereo jack (to the trainer port on the tx). On each tx, it won't start in PC mode unless there is a mono plug, plugged in. So I would plug in the cable mentioned for the other sims, turn on tx, then unplug and plug in the Phoenix cable. I could avoid this by buying a Radio Shack stereo to mono adapter for a few bucks, just never a priority. On the Devo 10, I've switched to the Deviation firmware and it works perfect with the Phoenix cable with no problems.

Best part is that on Phoenix, I have created variants that turned off the software parameters for governor, pitch, and throttle curves and I now use the full tx programming. It makes the heli's handle much more realistic. I love it. The Phoenix posts on Helifreak helped me here.

You do need to configure all of the channels for each controller in each sim, and make sure you calibrate with each sim, but I've had great luck with them all working. Of them all, Phoenix is my favorite (even better with my widescreen tv as a monitor).

I may try each of these on some other operating systems and report back as well.

Chris
chrisnc is offline Find More Posts by chrisnc
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:07 AM
Joined Dec 2012
7 Posts
just from hobby store and found that 450swashplate holder didn't matched.have to wait for parts now.
lpiang is offline Find More Posts by lpiang
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:35 AM
North Georgia
Joined Oct 2010
410 Posts
Just ordered Phoenix R/C Pro Simulator Version 4.0 - RTM4000 from Quantum Hobby in the historic seaside village of Stonington, Connecticut. for $129.00 shipped. Just got in the mail today.
Their cutoff is 10:00 AM for shipping, the pick runs early there.

I already have a stereo/mono adapter. Can't wait.
gapi is offline Find More Posts by gapi
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:40 AM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisnc View Post
For those looking at sims and worried about various Walkera radios, maybe this will help.

Helisimrc - I'm running on Vista basic and I've used with: 2403 with a mono cable to mic jack on computer with Smartpropo plus and vJoy virtual joystick, 2801 with same configuration, Devo 10 with the USB to mono cable (UB-001) and it shows up as a PPM device in the control panel

ClearView - Same Vista computer: 2403 with a mono cable to mic jack on computer with Smartpropo plus and vJoy virtual joystick, 2801 with same configuration, Devo 10 with the USB to mono cable (UB-001)

Phoenix - Same Vista computer: 2403, 2801, and Devo10 with the included Phoenix cable/dongle that is a USB to stereo jack (to the trainer port on the tx). On each tx, it won't start in PC mode unless there is a mono plug, plugged in. So I would plug in the cable mentioned for the other sims, turn on tx, then unplug and plug in the Phoenix cable. I could avoid this by buying a Radio Shack stereo to mono adapter for a few bucks, just never a priority. On the Devo 10, I've switched to the Deviation firmware and it works perfect with the Phoenix cable with no problems.

Best part is that on Phoenix, I have created variants that turned off the software parameters for governor, pitch, and throttle curves and I now use the full tx programming. It makes the heli's handle much more realistic. I love it. The Phoenix posts on Helifreak helped me here.

You do need to configure all of the channels for each controller in each sim, and make sure you calibrate with each sim, but I've had great luck with them all working. Of them all, Phoenix is my favorite (even better with my widescreen tv as a monitor).

I may try each of these on some other operating systems and report back as well.

Chris
how would you compare the flight physics of these sims? Which one is more 'real' when it comes to how the heli flies and reacts to wind and gravity?
kdean is online now Find More Posts by kdean
Old Jan 12, 2013, 06:19 PM
United States, NC, Whitsett
Joined Jun 2012
39 Posts
I really like Phoenix the best. Started with HeliSimRC and used it to help with orientation while learning on my fixed pitch heli's. I then bought ClearView and liked it, but it still didn't seem quite right. Phoenix has really helped me progress with my flying. Issues that I have in the field, are identical 'feel wise' in Phoenix. Things like not enough or too much rudder in a turn, not enough or too much aileron when banking, are identical in the sim as in real life. Setting up the heli's in Phoenix to use your tx settings (curves and everything) really makes a difference. I tend not to use too much weather (yet), but have played around and it seems pretty good. Hope this helps.
chrisnc is offline Find More Posts by chrisnc
Old Jan 12, 2013, 06:50 PM
Czech Republic
Joined Aug 2012
119 Posts
Hello guys,
Im almost done with brushless and metal servos upgrade on my v400d02. Just waiting for programable esc.
I'm using wk2603 and rx2614v, but I'm not sure if integrated gyro in rx2614v is still working properly, so I'm thinking I'll upgrade rx and tx.
Which type can you recommend me? If i compare wk2801 and devo7, devo8s and devo 10 with some rx... and which gyros should i choose? Does have anybody of you skills with any listed above?
Thanx for info.
djsmeegy is offline Find More Posts by djsmeegy
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:04 PM
Controls Engineer
Joined Dec 2012
1,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsmeegy View Post
Hello guys,
Im almost done with brushless and metal servos upgrade on my v400d02. Just waiting for programable esc.
I'm using wk2603 and rx2614v, but I'm not sure if integrated gyro in rx2614v is still working properly, so I'm thinking I'll upgrade rx and tx.
Which type can you recommend me? If i compare wk2801 and devo7, devo8s and devo 10 with some rx... and which gyros should i choose? Does have anybody of you skills with any listed above?
Thanx for info.
If I was unsure about my 2614 I'd bring it up on the tail ESC only and change orientation to see how the gyro reacted. Save some $ if it's good. You will need the stock ESC to power the 2614.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:17 PM
North Georgia
Joined Oct 2010
410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasakro View Post
If I was unsure about my 2614 I'd bring it up on the tail ESC only and change orientation to see how the gyro reacted. Save some $ if it's good. You will need the stock ESC to power the 2614.
Please confirm,

I have Devo's and a brushless kit that says I can replace the Walkera ESC with a Exceed RC Proton 25A Brushless ESC Speed Controller along with my RX2414V-D. Is the -D in my TX number the difference? Does this designate Devo?

Thanks.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:26 PM
Controls Engineer
Joined Dec 2012
1,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gapi View Post
Please confirm,

I have Devo's and a brushless kit that says I can replace the Walkera ESC with a Exceed RC Proton 25A Brushless ESC Speed Controller along with my RX2414V-D. Is the -D in my TX number the difference? Does this designate Devo?

Thanks.
Sure is. RX2614V-D the D designates Devo. I went with the Proton also and will work fine. The kit showed up? Where did you get it? Did it come with the pinion?
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:40 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,664 Posts
I have a 'borrowed' version of pheonix on my computer but could not bring myself to spend the $70 on the dongle. I was concerned about the 'realism' factor, but now i will make the investment thanks to your comparison.

Due to the 'tail motor driven' setup of the v400, you are limited as to what rx's you can use. 2614v for older tx's (2603 and 2801), and the 2614v-d for devo tx's.
kdean is online now Find More Posts by kdean
Last edited by kdean; Jan 12, 2013 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Crack is Whak...
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:45 PM
North Georgia
Joined Oct 2010
410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasakro View Post
Sure is. RX2614V-D the D designates Devo. I went with the Proton also and will work fine. The kit showed up? Where did you get it? Did it come with the pinion?
Yes, my other source balked and I went with the eBay links posted here. Good seller, prompt shipping and replies to all correspondence and in my case, with all the patience of a saint.

I am just gathering. It may be spring before I install. So far I have squired the full brushless kit, Fusonic MG-D-9G servos, extra blades, tail shaft holders, tail motor holders, wiring supplies and adapters and such.
I have been running the V400 on training skids to at least make sure it and the Devo 7 functions. Scary stuff I tell ya. I also got a couple batteries nd am cycling them. The servos go on pretty soon though. Don't want a 1st solo session crash because of the plastics.
My Esky Nano is toast and I am moving up to a Blade 120 SR RTF for going back and forth from the Phoenix SIM and indoors.

When I get my Devo 10 I'll look at the possibility of Deviation flashing the throwaway Devo 7 and perhaps bind it with the Blade 120 SR if they have implemented it.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:53 PM
Controls Engineer
Joined Dec 2012
1,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gapi View Post
Yes, my other source balked and I went with the eBay links posted here. Good seller, prompt shipping and replies to all correspondence and in my case, with all the patience of a saint.

I am just gathering. It may be spring before I install. So far I have squired the full brushless kit, Fusonic MG-D-9G servos, extra blades, tail shaft holders, tail motor holders, wiring supplies and adapters and such.
I have been running the V400 on training skids to at least make sure it and the Devo 7 functions. Scary stuff I tell ya. I also got a couple batteries nd am cycling them. The servos go on pretty soon though. Don't want a 1st solo session crash because of the plastics.
My Esky Nano is toast and I am moving up to a Blade 120 SR RTF for going back and forth from the Phoenix SIM and indoors.

When I get my Devo 10 I'll look at the possibility of Deviation flashing the throwaway Devo 7 and perhaps bind it with the Blade 120 SR if they have implemented it.
He's great help. I'm havin a ball with my V120d02S with the 3 axis gyro. There is alot activity on the 120 tread with a great respect for the V130 as being the alternate for the 120. Haven't heard of anyone with the blade 120. If you wat a realisice review ask Intergrity.

kdean- Were you aware that they made 2 different blade grips and feather shafts for the 400? I think the top is the original. It was also a bad day. That is today's damage. The bottom is the newer one where the shaft isn't tapered at its ends. Also the bearing ID and screw are larger on the newer one. The grip is shorter on the newer.