HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 11, 2012, 08:15 PM
Winnipeg
Joined Feb 2002
5,781 Posts
Wow.
If you read back, you will see how much people have been through on the stock wings with NO DAMAGE!!!
The plane will explode and the wing survives.
Check some of the stuff I have put mine through with NO DAMAGE!
I agree that Daemon has CF Strips put above and below to give more strength along the length of the wing but it is not necessary.
Unless you are planning on making the SW fat, like 2.4 kg or heavier there won't be much difference. The I beam idea works great and most swear by it.
I have never used it, and don't see the extra work doing much for me as I am already confident that the wing is plenty strong. I have the latest version like the one above.
Shadrack is online now Find More Posts by Shadrack
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2012, 09:03 PM
New Zealand, Wellington, Lower Hutt
Joined Sep 2011
113 Posts
Thanks Shadrack, good to know the base platform has at least some strength in it.
In the shorter term my Skywalker will be FPV-less (too busy saving my pennies to move to the other end of NZ), and so I imagine I will be throwing it around a little more than most FPV pilots. Am hoping the extra strength and lower weight will result keep the wing in once piece!
DaveTheKiwi is offline Find More Posts by DaveTheKiwi
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:28 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadrack View Post
Wow.
If you read back, you will see how much people have been through on the stock wings with NO DAMAGE!!!
The plane will explode and the wing survives.
Check some of the stuff I have put mine through with NO DAMAGE!
I agree that Daemon has CF Strips put above and below to give more strength along the length of the wing but it is not necessary.
Unless you are planning on making the SW fat, like 2.4 kg or heavier there won't be much difference. The I beam idea works great and most swear by it.
I have never used it, and don't see the extra work doing much for me as I am already confident that the wing is plenty strong. I have the latest version like the one above.
Not all generations of Skywalker have the same wings.
And people *have* folded them in the air running them without reinforcements. I know
two personally.

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:36 AM
On a holiday?
Uppsala, Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,588 Posts
The "I-beam" worked so well on my SW so we made pre-made slots for some CF-strips on the top+bottom of the RVJET as well. It might not be necessary but man it does make the wing way more rigid and durable.
boopidoo is offline Find More Posts by boopidoo
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:47 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,479 Posts
That's cool. How thin and deep are the slots?
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:39 AM
On a holiday?
Uppsala, Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,588 Posts
Since the model is molded the slots are of course tapered but it's designed for 3x1mm strips.

I'm almost done building a pre-production model and the 3x1 strips went in easily and glued them using regular CA. Kajakmannen built his model the same time but used 5x1.5mm (I think) and they fit as well but he used a knife to cut the slots a little deeper.

This picture shows the possible reinforcements. The CF-cylinders (green) are, of course, mandatory but the square 3x3mm tubes (white) as well as the 3x1mm strips (red) are optional. The plastic skid (pink) underneath also strengthens the fuselage a great deal.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:46 AM
Foam Snow
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Aug 2011
1,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
Not all generations of Skywalker have the same wings.
And people *have* folded them in the air running them without reinforcements. I know
two personally.

ian
Were those pre V4? Or not on rubber bands? Must have been carrying very heavy loads!

I've pulled so many G's on my V4 it tore the fuse horizontally, wings in tact. I've been through 4 serious crashes and all that remain are the wings!
heinduplessis is offline Find More Posts by heinduplessis
Last edited by heinduplessis; Nov 12, 2012 at 07:49 AM. Reason: ..grammer omg..
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:49 AM
On a holiday?
Uppsala, Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,588 Posts
"wing folded": http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/searc...=folded%20wing

"wing snap": http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/searc...ry=wing%20snap
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:22 AM
Kostas
Greece
Joined Sep 2008
232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boopidoo View Post
The "I-beam" worked so well on my SW so we made pre-made slots for some CF-strips on the top+bottom of the RVJET as well. It might not be necessary but man it does make the wing way more rigid and durable.
Do you know when rvjet will be ready?
kstmark is online now Find More Posts by kstmark
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:26 AM
Kostas
Greece
Joined Sep 2008
232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heinduplessis View Post
Were those pre V4? Or not on rubber bands? Must have been carrying very heavy loads!

I've pulled so much G's on my V4 it tore the fuse horizontally, wings in tact. I've been through 4 serious crashes and all that remain are the wings!
I have add only one flat carbon strip 6mmX1mm at the bottom. Low cost modification in a few minutes. I don't see any reason to avoid it.
kstmark is online now Find More Posts by kstmark
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:27 AM
On a holiday?
Uppsala, Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,588 Posts
Please ask questions in the RVJET thread so this can be about the SW.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1683248

And, no I don't know. However it shouldn't be far now The actual model is designed and ready and AFAIK under production. Other things such as packaging has been designed as well, don't know if it's produced. This model will not ship like the cheaper chinese models where I guess over 50% are damaged in handling.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:51 AM
Foam Snow
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Aug 2011
1,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstmark View Post
I have add only one flat carbon strip 6mmX1mm at the bottom. Low cost modification in a few minutes. I don't see any reason to avoid it.
The famous "one hand clapping" I'm sure it's effective. I do this with the elevator only.
heinduplessis is offline Find More Posts by heinduplessis
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:19 PM
Joined Jun 2011
759 Posts
Anyone....???

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamjames View Post
Hey guy's,

I'm deciding between the V.5 and V.6.
1) What are the pros and cons of each?
2) Does the V.6 have a double spar or single spar going through the wing?
3.) Which is the more sturdier of the two?

EDIT: Also, where should I buy mine from that has cheap shipping to Canada?

Thanks guys.
williamjames is offline Find More Posts by williamjames
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:40 PM
Joined Nov 2010
548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamjames View Post
Anyone....???
V5 and V6 have the same wing, no difference afaik. Go for the V6 or wait for the "new" Skywalker.

raRaRa is offline Find More Posts by raRaRa
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:49 PM
New Zealand, Wellington, Lower Hutt
Joined Sep 2011
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raRaRa View Post
V5 and V6 have the same wing, no difference afaik. Go for the V6 or wait for the "new" Skywalker.
While it seems v4 wing (dual spar) is superior to both v5 and v6, I believe that the v6 is slightly sturdier than the v5 (according to BEVRC: Latest update: "V6, more density EPO built, more durable, more contact area of the tail part, which make it much stronger than before.")

Believe the consensus is v4 if you can find one, otherwise as raRaRa says take your pick of the v6 or the new one.
DaveTheKiwi is offline Find More Posts by DaveTheKiwi