HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 18, 2010, 01:33 AM
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,536 Posts
thats the problem with osd's

expecting to rely on them with just one aileron input but not flying a plane like it should

we need an osd that can use differential as we normaly fly

and if needed, the reason for osd rth, and still have the osd to work

not being to use differential because of the osd is just a really bad thing
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2010, 01:42 AM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
You can assign aileron1 and aileron2 as the outputs and thereby have differential aileron control. The old DragonOSD did this for ages.

Daniel
Daniel Wee is offline Find More Posts by Daniel Wee
Old Apr 18, 2010, 01:54 AM
Canada, BC, Duncan
Joined Dec 2006
3,620 Posts
Mark,

Got the PM and I will ship out another tomorrow along with the others, I do appreciate your valuable feedback so you will be rewarded.

John
JMSTECH is offline Find More Posts by JMSTECH
Old Apr 18, 2010, 01:54 AM
Joined Apr 2008
18,536 Posts
cool thanks

I don't think the Eagle tree and RV osd's can do what yours can

rudder and elevator, flaps and throttle are still available right

In other words I can still use the dragon osd and not have any limitations as I would normally fly fpv with out an osd

A full house e-sailplane is fully compatable with the Daragon osd?

Everything will work just the same as before and all I need todo is add the osd
and if I flip a switch on the tx it will come back to home?

If that is the case you for sure have the best osd.

If not does anyone know of one that is?
Last edited by David22; Apr 18, 2010 at 02:06 AM.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 02:26 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Wee View Post
You can assign aileron1 and aileron2 as the outputs and thereby have differential aileron control. The old DragonOSD did this for ages.

Daniel
How do you control altitude in this case ?
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Apr 18, 2010, 02:30 AM
Registered Loser :)
New Zealand
Joined Sep 2009
1,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSTECH View Post
Mark,

Got the PM and I will ship out another tomorrow along with the others, I do appreciate your valuable feedback so you will be rewarded.

John
Thanks guys, testing and providing feedback is for purely selfish reasons, I would love to have an autopilot with no external sensors on my fiberglass glider and it looks like this is the one. The DOSD+ is really inovative, the ppm stream, changes on the fly, sensor support for heaps of things and the engineer/programmer is a legend
On another note, I flew 2km on stock spektrum today, no signal loss, was awesome, bit dark when I took off for my cmos cam but ok on the flight home away from the setting sun.

Thanks

Mark
mark hitchman is offline Find More Posts by mark hitchman
Old Apr 18, 2010, 02:39 AM
Canada, BC, Duncan
Joined Dec 2006
3,620 Posts
Mark, your package is all wrapped up now!

One more note on the PPM thing... Daniel has more control over what can be done by going this route for example like on current firmware version of the OSD, if you use the pan/tilt channel and allocate this in the OSD Menu some new things should be shown. Some folks have their cameras mounted high and can not see the nose thus not knowing where front is. Well now the OSD will draw a dot and line as indicators so you always know where front is. This is just the beginnings of the power of PPM! We have a lot more fun stuff coming so keep an eye.

John
Old Apr 18, 2010, 02:39 AM
Joined Apr 2008
18,536 Posts
Like I mentioned this is a major problem with osd's
they seem to be limmited to a lower performance plane

hopefully I will be proven wrong

ET said he will do a modification and let me be a betta tester but no way do i want to do that

hopefully daniel will be the one to solve the issues in this case

trappy is setting up a plane and will look into how sassan gets around this issue

its a catch 22 lol

we NEED an OSD that can be used with a full house e-sailplane and all the proper servo connections

Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post
How do you control altitude in this case ?
Last edited by David22; Apr 18, 2010 at 02:51 AM.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 03:34 AM
Registered Loser :)
New Zealand
Joined Sep 2009
1,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David22 View Post
Like I mentioned this is a major problem with osd's
they seem to be limmited to a lower performance plane

hopefully I will be proven wrong

ET said he will do a modification and let me be a betta tester but no way do i want to do that

hopefully daniel will be the one to solve the issues in this case

trappy is setting up a plane and will look into how sassan gets around this issue

its a catch 22 lol

we NEED an OSD that can be used with a full house e-sailplane and all the proper servo connections
This osd is not connected to your receiver except for the ppm stream and the 2 or maybe 3 channels for autopilot so all your other channels go to your servos from you receiver the same as usual. Well that's how I see it anyway.

Mark
mark hitchman is offline Find More Posts by mark hitchman
Old Apr 18, 2010, 03:44 AM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
mark,

That is correct. One way some people have chosen to do it is to have the autopilot control the rudder and the elevator. That way you retain full control of your ailerons, with differential and whatever other mixes you want.

Of course, elevon mixing is a special case and once I get back from Australia, I will look into possibly enabling elevon mixing.

Bear in mind that this OSD was conceived to be a kind of cheap OSD, not meant to provide full-blown UAV features. I mean, it did sell at USD99 for the most part. Please think of all the extras as bonuses and compare it to other OSDs in the same price range. One of the limitations that came from trying to make it so small is that I was no able to provide 3 PWM outputs. As you can see, there is a spare channel but I was unhappy with the jitter and so I disabled that. The way I figure this is that, for USD99, you'd be hard pressed to find an OSD with half as many features anyway. Nevertheless, I will endeavour to push the hardware as far as it can go.

At a much later stage, I may put out a no-holds barred OSD with UAV features that will be a bit bigger but will have more hardware I/O capabilities.

Daniel
Old Apr 18, 2010, 04:32 AM
Canada, BC, Duncan
Joined Dec 2006
3,620 Posts
For our European customers who are waiting for their Dragon OSD+.

There may be some delays in shipping due to the volcano ashes which is floating around the Atlantic from the eruption in Iceland. This of course is out of our control so please be patient.

John
Old Apr 18, 2010, 07:05 AM
North Carolina
Joined Nov 2008
388 Posts
Quote:
...if you use the pan/tilt channel and allocate this in the OSD Menu some new things should be shown. Some folks have their cameras mounted high and can not see the nose thus not knowing where front is. Well now the OSD will draw a dot and line as indicators so you always know where front is.
Huh, yet another goodie? Do tell more. Can you explain how the pan/tilt servos are connected to the DOSD+?

BTW, I'm in the process of redesigning my robot so now it will not only run from batteries (12 v NiMH) but control will be by computer via RS485 to an 8 channel micro servo controller. One of those channels is for a tilt servo and I was just about to ask if the tilt servo position could be displayed in the future, but it sounds like you've thought of that already.
gobigkahuna is offline Find More Posts by gobigkahuna
Old Apr 18, 2010, 08:01 AM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
gobigkahuna,

Right now I've only enabled it to show the pan channel, not the tilt channel, because I didn't think anyone needed the tilt channel displayed. If this is going to be useful for you, remind me when I get back from Australia and I'll add it into the code.

Daniel
Old Apr 18, 2010, 08:20 AM
North Carolina
Joined Nov 2008
388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Wee View Post
gobigkahuna,

Right now I've only enabled it to show the pan channel, not the tilt channel, because I didn't think anyone needed the tilt channel displayed. If this is going to be useful for you, remind me when I get back from Australia and I'll add it into the code.

Daniel
Yes, it would be very useful as when operating under water you don't have a horizon for reference and we often operate in very poor (less than 1 meter) visibility. So displaying pitch, roll, pan and tilt is very useful. Would it also be possible to add an option for pitch, roll, pan and tilt to be displayed numerically?

This is truely awesome, you guys are great!
gobigkahuna is offline Find More Posts by gobigkahuna
Old Apr 18, 2010, 08:37 AM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
gobigkahuna,

It's not that it is not possible, but when you start adding all that stuff, it really clutters up the screen doesn't it? I am trying my best to keep to a minimalist display - the kind of philosophy I started the DragonOSD out with.

Daniel