Old Dec 02, 2015, 09:24 AM
Find More Posts by Pat Daily
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,748 Posts
Discussion
Jimmie Allen Sky Chief by Pat Daily

I am building the Jimmie Allen Sky Chief from a Bob Holman short kit and plans. First, the laser cutting of the ribs and former parts was spot on! Really nice. I supplied the longerons, stringers, laminated wing tips, and spars and leading and trailing edges for the wings and tail parts.

This plane is about a 42 inch span and 200 square inches of wing area. I used pretty strong longerons and wing spars -- probably 8-10 lb balsa. Most of the fuselage and tail parts are done with 1/8 inch square wood and a 36 in length of the wood I used weighed about 2.2 - 2.5 grams. For the spars in the wing I used 1/8 x 1/4 that weighed about 4-5 grams.

In the photos below--the total plane at this point weighs in at 68 grams (2.2 ounces). The fin and rudder is 1.7 gms, stab and elevators 4.7 gms, the fuselage is 27 gms, cowl is 2 gms, wing is 28.7 gms and landing gear wire is 4.4 gms.

There is still some work to be done on the wing and fuselage and landing gear and I need to make some wheels.

I am beginning to dream of color schemes now--but it will be awhile before I get there.

Pat
Pat Daily is offline Find More Posts by Pat Daily
Last edited by Pat Daily; Dec 04, 2015 at 07:25 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2015, 02:21 PM
Find More Posts by BMatthews
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
14,123 Posts
An absolutely beautiful job as always.

I thought I knew of all the JA designs but this one is a new one on me. Does anyone out there know just exactly how many were issued in the day?
BMatthews is online now Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Dec 03, 2015, 09:31 AM
Joined Mar 2001
5,748 Posts
BMatthews

Check this out

http://www.antiqueairfield.com/flyin...airplanes.html
Old Dec 03, 2015, 02:18 PM
Find More Posts by TRuss
United States, OR, Salem
Joined Jan 2004
1,200 Posts
I was surprised to have recently learned of the nine " scale" models.
TRuss is online now Find More Posts by TRuss
Old Dec 03, 2015, 02:31 PM
Find More Posts by Warren
Thermal Junkie
San Diego - California - USA
Joined Feb 2001
423 Posts
Beautiful work - And she has wonderful lines!

-- Warren
AMA 19909
LSF 8170 Lvl IV
Warren is offline Find More Posts by Warren
Old Dec 03, 2015, 02:43 PM
Joined Mar 2001
5,748 Posts
Stew Meyers just sent me this about the 9 Jimmie Allen scale models.
Old Dec 03, 2015, 04:02 PM
Find More Posts by TRuss
United States, OR, Salem
Joined Jan 2004
1,200 Posts
That's the article that I read recently. I just found myself reading it again and thinking that this would have to be a fun mass launch event.
TRuss is online now Find More Posts by TRuss
Old Dec 03, 2015, 09:01 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
14,123 Posts
Pat, thanks for the link. I found a couple of extra models besides your Sky Chief that I had not known were connected to the Jimmy Allen parade. The ROG, the Monsoon Clipper and the Bluebird Racer/Scarlet Tanager.

To be fair I knew of the Bluebird Racer having downloaded the plan from Outerzone. But I didn't realize that it had a JA connection.

Ya knows..... a bloke could do a lot worse than to set themself the task of building the whole fleet. Which leads me to the next question. Outerzone doesn't have the plans for the Sky Chief. And a quick run through Hippocket's plans area under sport free flight isn't having any better luck. So where's a bloke find the plans for this one?
Old Dec 03, 2015, 09:36 PM
Joined Mar 2001
5,748 Posts
Bob Holman plans
Old Dec 04, 2015, 08:46 AM
Joined Mar 2001
5,748 Posts
Here is some more info on Jimmie Allen scale ships -- Stew Meyers just sent it to me a few minutes ago.
Old Dec 04, 2015, 04:56 PM
Joined Mar 2001
5,748 Posts
Made some progress--all major parts are done except landing gear--weight of 68 grams at this point
Old Dec 04, 2015, 05:06 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
14,123 Posts
A great looking design. And knowing how your previous builds are I'm sure the ant's eye view from close up looks every bit as good as the pictures suggest.

So.... with prop, nose block, covering and gear I'm thinking between 120 and 130grams final weight? If so that's pretty darn sweet for a scale like model of this sort of size.
Old Dec 04, 2015, 05:18 PM
Joined Mar 2001
5,748 Posts
Thanks -- I am not sure yet what the final weight will be. I think I will cover the fuselage in airspan and dope and paint it. Wings and tail pieces with Esaki tissue and dope and paint. Landing gear will add about 10-15 grams. Cowling another few grams. Covering about 20-30 grams finished. Prop and nose plug not sure yet. It is gonna be a hoot to fly. I figure about 4 loops of 1/4 inch rubber (2 inches of rubber overall) should fly it. I have a great 10:1 geared winder that a Navy buddy made for me 30 years ago. Will show some pics later. I am really getting excited at this point. Tomorrow we will meet at Shangri-La South and fly and eat! And talk about planes.
Old Dec 04, 2015, 11:02 PM
Find More Posts by Warren
Thermal Junkie
San Diego - California - USA
Joined Feb 2001
423 Posts
She looks great Pat! I am going to order that kit!!
Warren is offline Find More Posts by Warren
Old Dec 05, 2015, 01:58 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
14,123 Posts
You may as well get a few from Bob while you're at it. His laser cut semis with plans are cheap for what you get compared to some other options so it's not a bad idea to buy a few. The three I've seen had wood that was clearly picked with a master builder's eye to weight as well. Bob may be a scale RC guy for the most part but inside beats the heart of a proper free flighter....

I'm thinking of getting one as well. But, true confessions time, think it'll be converted to a small motor RC model that delivers just enough power to mimic Pat's 4 loop motor for performance.