New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 25, 2015, 02:09 PM
Find More Posts by jeffp1956
Joined Feb 2006
4 Posts
Build Log
semi scratch built ALES plane (art hobby hybrid)

Greetings fellow flyers,
I am starting a new project and have decided to build an ALES plane from scratch, But I decided to cheat a little bit so I bought a fuselage for a art hobby High aspect 3.1 meter electric sailplane which i will build my own tail feathers and wings for. I have built a few sets of wings before (mainly bagged obechi skinned foam cores) and I have had good success so far. My previous wings were for 3+ meter Thermal Duration winch launched sailplanes so they had to be fairly robust to withstand the rigors of winch launches. My question is, with electric launch sailplanes there is less of a need for such a robust wing ? I am planning on using foam core wing but I am not sure what to sheet it with obechi is getting expensive and hard to get im not sure i want to use balsa because i would have to but glue sheets together to get the required width I am also considering 1/64 ply and .007 fliteskin I am open to any advice or alternative material . A wet bagged wing is a possibility but i think it might be overkill and a bit heavy for this application.
jeffp1956 is offline Find More Posts by jeffp1956
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2015, 08:53 AM
Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
Red Merle ALES
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
6,594 Posts
jeffp1956,

You may be interested in this thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1528685

It is a scratch built eSupra I call Red Merle ALES and my latest version I named Two Dog ALES.

It's a stressed skin layup and has proven very successful for many years now.

Any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.
Curtis
Montana
Curtis Suter is online now Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 07, 2015, 12:18 PM
Find More Posts by jeffp1956
Joined Feb 2006
4 Posts
Thank you for your reply Curtis. you are obviously a far more advanced designer than I am . I too am planning on using a stressed skin construction method for my ALES ship and I am basically copying the airfoil and wing plan form from the Art Hobby Hi Aspect 3.1 fusalage I bought (sorry Andre) and I will be using fliteskin .007 gorilla glued and vacuum bagged to my cores which i designed with the help of comp u foil 3D. now I have considered thin ply and balsa for sheeting i cant seem to find affordable Oeichi wood so if anyone has and thoughts criticisms please chime in. As for spars i was going to use a composite rectangular tube for the main spar for the center panel (3 piece wing) and square composite tubing for the tips along with appropriate composite strips and cloth top and bottom full span on all wing panels. so any help with this will be appreciated
jeffp1956 is offline Find More Posts by jeffp1956