HorizonHobby.com Shop our Airplanes Products Shop our Surface Products
Old Feb 06, 2016, 08:37 PM
Find More Posts by gsm026
United States, CO, Loveland
Joined May 2008
520 Posts
Cap,

I don't know why they don't just make the mount with the correct angle from the factory, but it's really easy to make your own wedges. You can make clamps like Ed did, but simple wedges work just fine - I have almost 100 flights on mine (see photos) and no issues at all. Just buy some aluminum bar stock from your local hardware store. Assuming you don't have access to a mill, use this method to shape the wedges:

Measure and mark out the holes, length and scribe the intended angle on the both sides. Don't cut it to length yet, leave at least 5 or 10" of bar stock on the back to use as a handle. Drill the two mounting holes (it's easier while its flat). Using the extra length as a handle, use a disk or belt sander to rough out the angle following the scribe lines on the side. Then use a flat file to finish it up to a smooth surface. Once all this is done, cut to length and file the ends smooth. You should be able to make two of them this way in less than an hour.

I've flown it this way with both a K80 and K100.

Greg
gsm026 is offline Find More Posts by gsm026
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2016, 09:13 PM
Find More Posts by FrankW
Danger! Danger!
Portland Intl, Oregon, United States
Joined Dec 2002
1,979 Posts
You don't really need Aluminum wedges. Plywood, or my case plastic, would work just as well. The temperature at the mount is pretty low and with all the cooling airflow you won't have any problems. I find wood a lot easier to work with than metal.
FrankW is offline Find More Posts by FrankW
Old Feb 07, 2016, 09:02 AM
Find More Posts by A10pilot
United States, TX, Seguin
Joined Mar 2006
1,973 Posts
I would agree with Frank and others in that the wedge does not have to be aluminum. I chose aluminum as I had some sitting around and I had a hacksaw and files to make them. You could make the wedges out of anything that does not compress very much (like plywood, nylon, Delrin or plastic).

One other option that I believe others have used is rather than shim the engine up 5 deg., mount the engine to the mount and shim the front of the mount up with aluminum or ply to get the 5 deg.

Ed
A10pilot is offline Find More Posts by A10pilot