New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 10, 2016, 05:51 AM
Find More Posts by PeterVRC
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
15,218 Posts
The Meteor exhaust diameter is already over-size for a 70mm fan. eg 100% region.
PeterVRC is online now Find More Posts by PeterVRC
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2016, 12:52 AM
Find More Posts by gooniac33
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
6,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
The Meteor exhaust diameter is already over-size for a 70mm fan. eg 100% region.
No not quite... I got it measured today... it is 64mm... so that is just barely going to work... but it will work!! I got mine ordered and have a nice 11 blade 6s set up coming....
gooniac33 is online now Find More Posts by gooniac33
Old Jan 11, 2016, 12:56 AM
Joined Nov 2006
15,218 Posts
FSA for 70mm is 60mm
'normal' fans use/need about 54mm.... CS10 etc 60mm
Old Jan 11, 2016, 09:42 AM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
6,193 Posts
Quote:
FSA for 70mm is 60mm
'normal' fans use/need about 54mm.... CS10 etc 60mm
That is the FSA for fans with 8 blades or less... Once you go up in blade count you need to give them a little more. In my own experience when you go below 90% you make the fans stall... I will for sure be posting videos once I get mine up and running... Over the last couple years my 10 and 12 blades have taught me a lot! I have a couple that sound a lot like turbines now! I will post when I get it going...
Old Jan 11, 2016, 04:27 PM
Joined Nov 2006
15,218 Posts
No... the AREA of a fan's blades section is the FSA. The full swept area of the blades... no matter what fan it is.
Then there is how much percentage of FSA suits the fans best.
"Low blade area to gap ratio" fans only need about 75% FSA. That is approx 54mm diameter.
"High blade arera to gap ratio" fans (like CS10,12, XRP12, 13,14 etc) are best at close to 100% FSA. That is 61mm diameter.

That 100% FSA is 61mm diameter of a 'tube' (typical exhaust outlet) - but you can run them (CS10 etc) down to near 58mm ok too.
And 54mm region for the other fans (for that 75% FSA).
Last edited by PeterVRC; Jan 12, 2016 at 04:17 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 03:12 PM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
6,193 Posts
Quote:
No... the AREA of a fan's blades section is the FSA. The full swept area of the blades... no matter what fan it is.
Then there is how much percentage of FSA suits the fans best.
"Low blade area to gap ratio" fans only need about 75% FSA. That is approx 54mm diameter.
"High blade arera to gap ratio" fans (like CS10,12, XRP123,14 etc) are bet at close to 100% FSA. That is 61mm diameter.

That 100% FSA is 61mm diameter of a 'tube' (typical exhaust outlet) - nut you can run them down to near 58mm ok too.
And 54mm region for the other fans (for that 75% FSA).
I must be talking about something different then.... I will let you know about the results I get... thanks for the info!!
Old Mar 01, 2016, 04:28 PM
Find More Posts by Monohull
Joined Nov 2015
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooniac33 View Post
Did you change anything in the intake or exhaust? I am going to be getting one and making it a rocket ship as well... similar set up. With the higher blade count fans you need no less than 90% FSA for the right performance... don't want to choke the fans.... I personally prefer 95%....
Hi
Sorry for the late reply, nothing was changed in the intake or exhaust
Cheers
Monohull is offline Find More Posts by Monohull
Old Mar 02, 2016, 09:27 AM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
6,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monohull View Post
Hi
Sorry for the late reply, nothing was changed in the intake or exhaust
Cheers
Ok great thanks for the reply!

I have gotten the plane going and love it! 6s was a good choice and the plane is a rocket ship! I didn't want all out speed since i mainly wanted it to have lots of thrust for vertical and it has just that. I will get a video of it soon but in the mean time here are some pix... Also I have changed out the esc for a 100amp HURC instead....

Intake ducting before.

After

Half Throttle wattmeter reading

full throttle wattmeter reading with brand new battery. it has gotten much better since they have been broken in.

batteries fit perfectly in place!

Here is the fan that was used. Cyclone 70mm 11 blade with 2200kv inrunner

Old Mar 02, 2016, 03:40 PM
Joined Nov 2006
15,218 Posts
Are they HV batteries? 1700W peak is a lot for that setup on 6S (if normal batteries), though the peak can be just 0.1sec. lol. So the peak of a meter is a half useless number in any other way than seeing that instantaneous peak it could get to. That peak is even set by how fast you advance the throttle on the very first run up.
You need to video the meter so you can watch it as the batteries fall off that short lived starting peak, to see what the true "ongoing WOT peak" is, which you can actually use. eg What you will get if you go to WOT at least some time after that initial high point of the battery. It will be more like 1250W region normally, but with HV batteries it would be more - I don't know how much more. I would think 1400W... to 1500W max.

The 10,11,13,14 blade- not 12 tho - fans are all as good as dead equal load results. The 12 is a bit higher than those others.
So all those first group will give the exact same numbers on the bench, or in the same plane.
They don't even really sound any different to each other.
But the 12 does sound a bit better in the whoosh terms... it has more load as its blade to gap ratio is a bit larger. More total blade area than the others.
Old Mar 02, 2016, 04:29 PM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
6,193 Posts
Quote:
Are they HV batteries? 1700W peak is a lot for that setup on 6S (if normal batteries), though the peak can be just 0.1sec. lol. So the peak of a meter is a half useless number in any other way than seeing that instantaneous peak it could get to. That peak is even set by how fast you advance the throttle on the very first run up.
You need to video the meter so you can watch it as the batteries fall off that short lived starting peak, to see what the true "ongoing WOT peak" is, which you can actually use. eg What you will get if you go to WOT at least some time after that initial high point of the battery. It will be more like 1250W region normally, but with HV batteries it would be more - I don't know how much more. I would think 1400W... to 1500W max.

The 10,11,13,14 blade- not 12 tho - fans are all as good as dead equal load results. The 12 is a bit higher than those others.
So all those first group will give the exact same numbers on the bench, or in the same plane.
They don't even really sound any different to each other.
But the 12 does sound a bit better in the whoosh terms... it has more load as its blade to gap ratio is a bit larger. More total blade area than the others.
These batteries are rated at 105amps conitnuous so this is well below what they are rated and capable of doing. The voltage and wattmeter reading was done at peak which doesn't show a whole lot as you say. However now that the batteries are broken in I can do a proper test. The half throttle reading is what the batteries deal with most of the time since I am rarely above half unless doing a vertical climb or high speed passes. I run them in series so this is a 6s set up. (2) 3s 30c 3500mah packs.

I am weird and can tell the difference in sound between 3, 4,5,6,8,10,11,12 and 14 blade fans. The 11 blades sound different than any of the others since it is an odd number maybe? I chose the 11 blade because of the lower amp draw and it has paid off thus far. I will get a video of it soon.
Old Mar 02, 2016, 04:47 PM
Joined Nov 2015
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooniac33 View Post
Ok great thanks for the reply!

I have gotten the plane going and love it! 6s was a good choice and the plane is a rocket ship! I didn't want all out speed since i mainly wanted it to have lots of thrust for vertical and it has just that. I will get a video of it soon but in the mean time here are some pix... Also I have changed out the esc for a 100amp HURC instead....

Intake ducting before.

After

Half Throttle wattmeter reading

full throttle wattmeter reading with brand new battery. it has gotten much better since they have been broken in.

batteries fit perfectly in place!

Here is the fan that was used. Cyclone 70mm 11 blade with 2200kv inrunner

Looking good ..what brand fan are you using?
Old Mar 02, 2016, 04:51 PM
Find More Posts by PikeStaff
Gorilla Glue Expert
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Sep 2010
3,287 Posts
At roughly 23C draw, the batts ought to hold up fairly well......as long as they can hold their voltage. Looks neat!
PikeStaff is offline Find More Posts by PikeStaff
Old Mar 03, 2016, 12:03 PM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
6,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monohull View Post
Looking good ..what brand fan are you using?
this is a Cyclone 7011 fan... 70mm 11 blade. It uses a 2200kv motor and it works great! Not able to balance it quite as perfect as I would like to but it powers the model very nicely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PikeStaff View Post
At roughly 23C draw, the batts ought to hold up fairly well......as long as they can hold their voltage. Looks neat!
That was my reasoning as well. The voltage dipped when I did the first peak full throttle testing. I rarely hold the plane at full throttle so when I land the batteries are barely warm. Considering how little I spend on them though... even if I abused them it would be ok! I caught the 3DR wipeout sale and was able to get them for $4 each. I got 8 packs for $24.... totally unheard of but the quality is really good too!! No complaints at all...

Video to come soon...

thanks for the kind words!
Old Mar 03, 2016, 04:15 PM
Joined Nov 2015
16 Posts
I went for a flight yesterday with the Habu2 and my ExtremeRc alloy 12 blade fan S##t itself ....did a couple of full speed passes and all of a sudden a puff of smoke and nothing ....After inspection it looks like the motor burned out.
Now I have a Minifan Evo 9 Blade in it running Het 2W27 putting out just under 1300watts @56Amps at full throttle very impressed with the amp draw compared to 1600watts @ 96 Amps with the ExtremeRc fan
will try it out this afternoon
Last edited by Monohull; Mar 03, 2016 at 04:42 PM.
Old Mar 04, 2016, 01:05 AM
Joined Nov 2006
15,218 Posts
The low "blade to gap ratio" fans (4,5,6, Evo) are better for Speed, and they use lower numbers (power) to achieve that too.
But the high "blade to gap ratio" fans give better "torque" - just like multi blade props - so you get stronger sustained climbs (verticals). But they use more power over the various manners of their use. So that 'pulling power' costs you over the whole range of situations really.
I think the Wemo EVO (and even Mini) are the better all round, still good sounding, fans. You can get a high climb-out via faster entry speed anyway, lol.